Can you put a price on tone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Lunchie, Dec 24, 2013.

1. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

More than money goes into finding good tone. In my case, it's been a whole lot of curiosity, and a certain amount of luck. Plus some money. Then there's the art of just trying things with whatever you already have. Entertained last night at a family Christmas party. Brought a Les Paul, L3 solid state amp, delay pedal. Not at all my usual setup. I always play with clean boost, for example. Anyway, it was a blast figuring out where the good sounds were at low volume. You don't always get to play your preferred equipment. It helps to be curious and adaptable. I got some good sounds out of that setup.
    MD

2. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

About the price of a Tweed Deluxe clone! :p

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Kind of strange on the one hand it's said here on the forum that "man he could make a plank and barbed wire sound good," on the other, they look for vintage amps and Teles to make the tone happen with. I think I need Kwai Chang Cane, (and maybe Able) to straighten this out for me.

4. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Yes I can put a price on tone.

Add up the years of lessons you've had...

That's how much tone cost.

Years of lessons... years of practice...

5. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

Really talented guys don't need to spend much as the majority of tone is in the fingers. That being said I have no problem with pricey gear if it is played and enjoyed. I think sometimes it is easy to become gear and tone obsessed and lose focus on the all important aspects of making music. My gear is nice IMO, I think I can make it sound good and it makes me happy, am I worthy of its greatness? Probably not, did I waste time chasing tones in my head and thinking I could buy them? Sadly yes, but I wound up learning that for me less proved to be more. Simple guitars through simple circuits + thousands of hours wood shedding to my Heros was and is how I found "my tone". I truly loved the journey and when I play my gear now I rarely lust for anything else

6. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Nothing strange about that. There are people here from both sides of that issue and everywhere inbetween. Don't need Kwai Chang Cain to figure that one out, lol. Takes all kinds, and we've got 'em.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If anyone thinks getting good "tone" out of an electric guitar and amp is difficult, you should try and make even a very expensive banjo sound like it does in the hands of a player.

8. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

LOL! So true. I've tried. Needless to say, not a banjo player.

9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They all sound about the same when you back over 'em with a dump truck. :twisted:

10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I guess I went the traditional route. Started with a Fender Champ, then Princeton Reverb, then an old Deluxe Reverb. Same with guitars and ended up with old Fenders there too. That was many years ago. I'm completely happy with my tone, though not my playing.

11. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

It's important (as Jakedog pointed out) to be happy with your sound. It makes you play better. It's also important to do the work (practice, learning) in order to get a good sound. Otherwise you'll sound like Reggie from The Cosby Kids.

[​IMG]

12. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

good point. Can someone like The Edge from U2,
    get that signature sound of his on a $100 dollar budget?
    I highly doubt it.

13. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Some "tone" costs a hell of a lot more than other "tone" so yeah, if you're smart you do put your own price tag on it because manufacturers and retailers aren't at all shy about theirs. I'd say it behooves players to do a lot of listening and their own research to find out what that limit is for them before they begin chasing everyone else's "tone".

Pedal manufacturers must love this place and all the free advertising they get.

15. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Tone is subjective, as well. I think Clapton has good tone but others might prefer Scott Henderson. And they both spent a lot (both money and practice) to achieve their desired tone.

16. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'm willing to pay a buck three eighty and not a cent more.

17. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Very good point. If he played straight into the amp and play the riffs he is known for, no one would know his name. I'm not ragging on the guy, he definitely has a lot more fame and fortune then I do :lol:.

One guy I think of when I think classic rock and killer tone is Lindsey Buckingham. I don't think I have ever heard a recording of him playing where he did not just sound stellar. His touring rig today is pretty complex array of amps, guitars with different tunings, and a handful of pedals. However, I'm sure it wasnt always like that.

18. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, yup and double yup for the Lindsey props.

The Edge is so unique. He does what most guitarists
    before him considered cheating.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.