1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can you help me ID this Custom Shop Tele

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by RhytmEarl, Dec 2, 2020.

1. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl TDPRI Member

This is supposedly a one off special order Tele from the Custom shop.

It is bound front and back with white binding (near impossible to see from these pictures).

The neck looks like it's certainly special order but what really concerns me is the humbucker. I've never seen a factory humbucker from Fender come without a cover. And the black pole pieces ?? or is that just the photo?) are something totally new to me.

Could it be an Enforcer pickup?

I've been offered this guitar in a trade and want to make sure it's factory original or I want to discount the trade value.

I am supposed to get pix of the COA tomorrow. Hopefully that will help answer some questions. But in the meantime I hope you Tele experts can shed some light. I'm not a Tele guy so don't hold back pointing out even obvious stuff to me.

Thanks in advance guys (and girls!)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Festofish likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The fact that you've not seen a factory pickup come from Fender without a cover applies only to their standard production guitars. When it comes to CS stuff, they will make a customer pretty much anything they ask for--feature wise--and add all those individual costs to the total price of the instrument.

Looks legit to me from those few pics...but to be certain, send Fender Customer Service an email with a few pics and the serial number and they'll be able to tell you if it's a real CS issue or if it's not.

3. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I agree, looks good so far. I can't read the serial number on the bridge, obviously that should match the COA.
    What I never see is FCS doing a black nut like that, but could be a special order thing with neck humbucker.
    The Humbucker & pickguard look original, not like the usual aftermarket stuff.
    The strap buttons/locks looks a little "old school" as I haven't seen Fender use those is a while, and I've only seen them on MIA production models.
    The binding is cool as well (really cool, I love bound teles) but I'd be worried that it's from some weird MIJ model.

Looks like someone wanted a Keef inspired tele...

tamer_of_banthas and RhytmEarl like this.
  4. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That humbucker looks soooo out of place for me. But the COA should clear up any doubts, really.

tamer_of_banthas and RhytmEarl like this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There was a model Strat that came with an 'Atomic' F-spaced humbucker in the bridge.

I don't like the CS logo on back of the headstock. It doesn't look right to me.

RhytmEarl likes this.
  6. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yup, what others have said.....a special order from the CS could mean anything. Once you get the pic of the COA, that'll have the serial number on it, give Fender a call, they'll answer most questions you might have about the guitar.

old wrench and RhytmEarl like this.
  7. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies. I will get a picture of the COA today.

I'll keep you posted if you're interested.

Something about that guitar is just "off" and my spider sense is tingling. I'm glad you all feel it too.

VillainSean likes this.
  8. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl TDPRI Member

I thought serial numbers were only (well, since the early 50s) stamped on the neck plate.

This one R10442 seems to be stamped on the bridge. I've emailed the guy and asked him where the serial # is located. No reply quite yet.

9. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl TDPRI Member

Confirmed...serial # stamped on bridge.

10. Joe M

Admin Post
    That in itself is not a problem. Fender put some numbers on the neck plate and others on the bridge plate. In fact, I have a CS tele that had different numbers stamped on both places. The one on the neck plate matched the COA. When I called Fender about it I was told that "somebody" probably just reached in the wrong bin when the guitar was being put together, sorta like what could happen back in the Fullerton days. FWIW, the rep I talked to confirmed that everything else about the guitar was right; just that it shouldn't have had that bridge plate with a number put on the guitar in the first place.:rolleyes:

11. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Whatever it is, I think it's a pretty cool looking guitar. Good luck.

12. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Mind you, I’ve never owned a CS, but it seems to me, if somebody would have gone through all the expense of putting a fake CS logo on such a beautiful expensive looking neck, vintage tuners, stamped bridge, etc. wouldn’t have left a neck humbucker that looks so overtly out of place. I’m think for that reason it’s most likely legit. Good luck.

VillainSean likes this.
  13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I own a bought new Masterbuilt Rosewood Tele that was delivered in a standard case .
    Take numbers , contact Fender and get real answers .

old wrench likes this.
  14. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

At any rate, it's a pretty one :).

Back when I was busy buying and selling guitars, I always contacted the factory customer service whether it was Fender or Gibson, and they were always very willing to verify whether the work was theirs or not.

It's in their best interest to do that, and they know it ;).

Serial numbers are nice, but they only tell you so much, especially on a custom guitar.

15. VillainSean

Not to be a pessimist here, but it could still be a parts caster of sorts. I think the "source of truth" is usually the neck heel and a variety of markings/stamps in the body cavities.
    If possible, I'd ask for pictures of those areas.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  16. VillainSean

R10442 puts in it in the early 2000s date range, maybe even the late 1990s. Depending on the asking price, it's probably a decent deal...

17. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

agree with concerns and suspicions posted by earlier posters regarding the nut and neck humbucker. if someone was pricing it below $1500 it might be an okay deal. if there is no COA and no shop floor runner sheet, i would stay away and wait for something better.

18. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I'm FAR from an expert on this, but there's something that doesn't seem right about it. I'd want several pieces of redundant and overlapping evidence to prove that this is a CS Tele. Just looks off to me.

19. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl TDPRI Member

It turns out it's a legit guitar. It's a true custom order Tele from the Custom shop.

The neck humbucker (as you can see from the Shop Floor Traveller) is a Duncan Enforcer. My reaction to that = ?!?!?!? But I guess that's what the guy wanted and there it is.

If I decide to keep the guitar my first move will be to change the neck pickup to something a little lower gain, or as a friend suggested, lower it and put an Esquire pickguard on for a stealth two pickup Esquire.

I have a few humbuckers in the basement that I can pick from but no spare Tele bridge pickups. The bridge now is a Texas Special. I'm familiar with Strat Tex Specs but not with a Tele Tex Spec. I found Strat Tex Specs a bit harsh for my tastes. I'm thinking I'll replace both pickups with Throbaks. I've emailed them to see which of their humbuckers they'd recommend to match their Broadcaster bridge pickup.

We're meeting on Tuesday to do the deal. More then if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Thanks for all the comments/feedback. I appreciate you all taking the time to share your thoughts. :)

VillainSean and theprofessor like this.
  20. Joe M

Admin Post
    Glad you got everything sorted out. Having the floor traveler makes it even more authentic. Just proves you can get just about whatever you want from the CS if you're willing to pay for it.:D

Let us know how it works out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.