Can you guys school me on Fender speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by doghouseman, Nov 24, 2021.

1. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

Just got a Fender extension cab - 112 with a Celestion G12P-80. I mainly got it for the high wattage capability - and 8 ohms, but I think I made a mistake. I dont really like it.

I dont really need an all round speaker, as this is marketed, I need a Fender sound. I plan on building a rig that will switch between a Marshall pre-amp and a Fender pre-amp.

Suggestions of Fender 12 speakers for "That" Fender sound? Jensen, Weber? I have been playing Marshalls and Voxs for most of my life, so I really dont know.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  2. randym

randym Tele-Meister

Eminence Allesandro. Like the 10" in my Princeton Reverb; they make a 12" also.

Pcs264 and elihu like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There are many Fender sounds really, but I think the Emi GA SC64 is a great speaker for that vintage sound. But it's only 40 watts or so if that's an issue.
    The EMI 1258 is higher wattage, similar but big and robust.
    It's hard to think of a new speaker that emulates the inefficient old Fender Oxfords and etc. The GA SC being one that partially gets there.

New Jensens are a NO for me.
    Weber 12F150 50 watt is great, but loud like the Emi 1258. 25 watt 12F150 a little less low end maybe more like the older Fenders a bit. or a 12F125.
    Theres one, 12F150W? people like. Maybe ask the Weber boys.

Pcs264, PhredE and telemnemonics like this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I have one of those in my '67 Princeton Reverb, where it's a keeper. I also love the Greenback in a 1-12" cab for both the PR and my 6V6 Plexi...as well as the AC15C1.

schmee likes this.
  5. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I love the Jensen C-12Q in my Fender ‘64 Custom Deluxe Reverb.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree with suggestions for either stock Eminence "American" or Weber Jensen styles.
    Weber will talk to you though, and tailor power handling etc.

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

For what you describe you're after, I'd reach out to weber.
    Fenders have historically been all over on brand and style of speaker, even within the same amp line. In some cases in the 80s, they even offered different stock speakers or an upgraded JBL model on the 30 and 75.
    Jensen, Utah, EMI, it depends on circuit and goals.
    Even more curious is that most amps sound great with multiple different speakers, but seriously nobody has time to figure out all the good combinations, you have to settle for people complaining about the off-putting combinations.

A real GB, or one of the other iterations?
    I'm after a cheap ish GB style speaker for a B&H cabinet to replace a single 12" Jensen that's old enough to not survive much longer. Looking for recommendations.

8. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

A genuine Chinee G12M 25w, but I also have an Eminence GB128 in its own beebox cab. I didn't care for it at first but once played for a little while it smoothed out. It doesn't sound much like the real GB but it has its merits. Not bad for $60, half the price of the Weber or less than half of the GB.

schmee and ReverendRevolver like this.
  9. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Might depend a little on intended use.

I really like the Emi 1258 and Weber 12F150 family but they’re all pretty efficient and, to my ears, can be a little too barky for some low-volume situations.

The 1258 is real similar, if not identical, to the gold label speakers that came stock in Blues Juniors and HRDs. I think those are as close to the perfect Fender speaker as anything, and they don’t get much respect. Can still find pulls for $25-50, I assume because they’re not boutique sexy, or because someone assumed it was the problem with their Blues Junior.

For something a bit less efficient, I’ve come around to the Italian Jensens. Buy used ones that someone else has broken in. The C12Q is great, a bit smaller/lighter sounding, and C12Ns are very good available cheap for same reasons as the Emis. The Falcon sounds roughly like an American-style Jensen and is balanced, but has much stronger lower mids than the others. Also good if you need to sound full at lower decibels. IIRC all of the above are mid-90s efficient.

The Emi GB128 is a really cool mix of Brit cone woodiness and American FR. Sorta half Greenback, half C12N to my ears. It’s not what you asked for - it’s just cool.

10. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

The G12P-80 or Seventy-80 works well in some applications but it's not Fendery.

Eminence Legend will give you 75 watts.power handling in a nice sounding speaker.

But if you've only got a forty or less watt amp I'd pick the Allesandro GA12 SC64. It's a good take on a vintage Jensen. Very detailed. Close voicecoil gap and paper voicecoil former. That's the recipe.

Nice warm sparkly but doesn't crap out on pedals.

11. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

I.have a plastic back GB in front of me. It's got the Mueller 1777 cone in it, that is 'the' cone for Blues according to the Vox AC corksniffers. Sounds pretty damn fine.

I really like the G12H Anniversary speaker. It works well in many amps. My AC15CC1 had one. Pretty open sounding. Good cleans. Bit tighter than a GB.

The Greenback is going in an Epi Junior 112 cab and I may run it back to back with the Orange Tiny Terror combo I'm using with 'young' people band.

That's got a G12H in it.

12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would agree with this about the Jensens. I have an older Jensen in a 1x12 cab. I keep trying to upgrade it but nothing I have put in there sounds as good. I would also agree the Alessandro is really good.

Drew617 likes this.
  13. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

WGS G12C. :cool:

Brian L likes this.
  14. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I never noticed a radical difference. Any Fender amp I ever had sounded like a Fender. I put two Celestion speakers in a Pro Reverb and it still sounded like a Fender.

15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I like alnicos. P12 , gold and cream and cts10s In my fenders. C12n classic chime if needed

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.