Can you get a Tele to sound like a Strat?

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
I'm probably going to Nashville my tele eventually. Put a 60s strat neck pup in middle.

Teles are more ergonomic, but strats certainly have more tonal options.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Firstly, I must apologise to all my fellow TDPRI members for having the temerity to ask such a heinous question on this fine and upstanding forum. I'm sure it has been asked before...probably many, many times. Please go easy on me.....I'm a bloke of a certain age who doesn't know how many years he has left on this good earth. I've had a great life....done some wonderful things......married a great Yorkshire lass (albeit second time around).........but realises now that I have never played, let alone owned, a Stratocaster guitar.

Can I get my Tele to sound Stratty? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a Strat?

Thanks all.
Yeah, just buy a strat. I can get close on my Fralin Blues deluxe neck pup, but still not a strat.

Askwhy

Tele-Holic
Neck or bridge? Sure especially if you have a strat you like right there to compare and are good adjusting pickup heights. 2 or 4, I've never had any luck duplicating that on a tele.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ancient Chinese Secret: take the cover off a Strat neck pickup, and wrap a few layers of cloth tape around the coil, between the top and bottom flatwork to protect the coil.

It will now slip through the slot in a Tele pickguard where the neck pickup goes.

Some players prefer to embiggen the pickguard slot so they can install the pickup with the cover on it. This is a very common mod to Telecasters.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
You can get a Tele to sound like a Strat, but you can't get a Strat to sound like a Tele.

I was playing on the road in 1991 in Wyoming, in a small town that weirdly had 4 venues with live music Tuesday through Saturday. Each venue was on the same street and had different starting times for the bands. So everyone would check out everyone else. Usually it was friendly. However...

Back in those days, I was playing a Strat. We finished our first set, and one of the bands from the other clubs introduced themselves. Everything was cool, until their guitar player walked up to me. He said, "So...you play a Strat, huh?"

Since it was still hanging around my neck, I said. "....Yeah."

He flipped me the double bird. "**** you, I play a Tele."

I said, "Teles are great guitars."

He responded, "A Tele can sound like a Strat, but a Strat can't sound like a Tele." He threw up another double bird and walked away.

Later, we walked down the street to check out the band. The guitar player's Tele was an off-brand copy, not a Fender (or even a Squier). The last time I saw him was around 2 am, when he was throwing up on a parked car (not his car).

I dislike that guitar player to this day, because he was such a putz about I'm a Tele player that I avoided playing Teles for several years!

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I got pretty close with this custom build I did back in 2008.

It has three custom pickups spun up by a pal of mine who makes world-class stuff; the alnico mags have hemi heads on them to punch up the treble a bit.

I'm pretty certain they're the only ones in the universe like this because we came up with 'em and this is the only set we made. Grinding and polishing sintered alnico rod is not for the faint of heart, lemme tellya.

Hemi-Pole-Pickups.jpg

The graphic is a representation of the gal I was dating at the time. Don't tell my current GF.

IC-Tele-Body.jpg

stratoman1

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
They can sound close to each other but the differences are different enough that they aren't interchangeable. So if you find the right Strat get it

Mur

Friend of Leo's
Yep I'm thinkin' you can't make one sound like the other.

Twang Deluxe

Tele-Afflicted
If you want a real Strat sound, you have to buy a strat.

I own both

When I was gigging and could only take one electric with me, I chose my Baja Tele. With both pickups in parallel and out of phase I was able to get a nice fake strat sound

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
Just buy a CBS Strat and compare it with the sound of a Tele. The Strat is less twangy sounding than a Tele. Hope this helps!

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
do you use pedals? If you do a tele doesnt even sound like a tele , as soon as you put apreamp in the circuit of any kind you have changed the dynamics of the guitar , conversely if you put a pedal in front of a strat its the same thing with more switching capabilities , but will be the most difference is the feel of each instrument, play a strat into an amp clean by that I mean a cable then amp , do the same with a tele that is where you will make your truest comparison. the guitar build dynamics ,(types of pick ups on each instrument , tone filtering , and amp settings are your veriable ).

Last edited:

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I was playing on the road in 1991 in Wyoming, in a small town that weirdly had 4 venues with live music Tuesday through Saturday. Each venue was on the same street and had different starting times for the bands. So everyone would check out everyone else. Usually it was friendly. However...

Back in those days, I was playing a Strat. We finished our first set, and one of the bands from the other clubs introduced themselves. Everything was cool, until their guitar player walked up to me. He said, "So...you play a Strat, huh?"

Since it was still hanging around my neck, I said. "....Yeah."

He flipped me the double bird. "**** you, I play a Tele."

I said, "Teles are great guitars."

He responded, "A Tele can sound like a Strat, but a Strat can't sound like a Tele." He threw up another double bird and walked away.

Later, we walked down the street to check out the band. The guitar player's Tele was an off-brand copy, not a Fender (or even a Squier). The last time I saw him was around 2 am, when he was throwing up on a parked car (not his car).

I dislike that guitar player to this day, because he was such a putz about I'm a Tele player that I avoided playing Teles for several years!

Just wow... :confused:

... aaand back to me:
My reason for avoiding Telecasters for decades was a truly horribly set up bridge presented to me at exactly the wrong age when I was starting out on guitar.
This defined what a "Telecaster" was for me until about 2013-2014. Jeeze that thing was bad! :mad:

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Firstly, I must apologise to all my fellow TDPRI members for having the temerity to ask such a heinous question on this fine and upstanding forum. I'm sure it has been asked before...probably many, many times. Please go easy on me.....I'm a bloke of a certain age who doesn't know how many years he has left on this good earth. I've had a great life....done some wonderful things......married a great Yorkshire lass (albeit second time around).........but realises now that I have never played, let alone owned, a Stratocaster guitar.

Can I get my Tele to sound Stratty? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a Strat?

Thanks all.

Put the bottle down lol. You don't need to apologize for asking a question.

Not even this one.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
It's not just the sound of a Strat that makes it special, it's the fit. The cutaways make it sooo much more comfortable than a Tele, especially for the sit-down player. I found Teles tried to slip down my leg, from the forearm pressure on the body.

For sound I wire mine to get the neck and bridge together. It's not exactly the same, but pretty close.

I can take or leave the trem though. I build all of mine as hardtails now.

Once you go Strat, there's no going back.

P1130556.JPG