1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can you drive a stick shift ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

If you are still riding those today, you already have your man card.

2. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

^^ I haven't been on one of them critters in a few years, but it's like riding a bicycle. But my generator shovel still has a mouse trap, and no turn signals.

3. 64Strat

haha...!! I still use hand signals and have often thought that fewer than 5% of the people in front or behind me have any clue what I'm signaling.

4. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

One of my first vehicles I drove on the farm at thirteen or so, was an old 1950s split window mack tandem dump truck which had been modded for hauling manure and silage.

As I recall that thing had TWO stick shifts, one 1-5 and reverse, and another that went up 1-4 for in between each main gear. It took some learning, and a busy right hand and clutch foot. Thing needed to be parked on a hill at night for rolling starts in the morning.

looked something like this thing, about the same shape

[​IMG]

it had a really great air horn

5. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Yes

6. BillB1960

BillB1960 Tele-Meister

Learned to drive in a 1970 3/4 ton Chevy pickup with a SM465 tranny complete with granny gear. Got my license in my first car, a 1967 Mustang with a 3 on the floor I bought for $300. Second car was a 1970 Camaro with a LT1 motor and a Muncie 4 speed with Hurst linkage. Turned 12 sec 1/4s with that car. Yeah, I can drive a stick.

7. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Never really cared about the part number of my car's transmission

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

8. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Who cares what the next gen does? I learned to shave with a straight razor, my son in law jokes about manscaping. It's a wide gap between generations.

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

When I was a kid, my dad let me shift for him. I was thrilled, and when I started driving all I had to do was figure out the clutch. Neither of my current cars have manual. I wish they did, but they were used and I was just looking for the best deal. To put my Explorer in 4WD, I have to reach under it and turn a knob on the transfer case-- does that count? :)

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Correct!
    I can do it under the right conditions but I've seen what happens when you get it wrong - broken prop shaft and vehicle flung up over its nose. Don't try this at home.
    Changing up is far less of a problem with syncromesh.
    Either way you knock the stick into neutral and feel the gear notch into the next gear. A racing change should take 0.5 second, a conventional clutch change takes about 2 seconds. Race drivers rarely touch the clutch once they're moving, but then the box only has to last the length of the race.

11. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

Yes I can.

In Britain -- and most of Europe -- "stick shift" (or manual as we like to call it) is pretty much the only type of transmission that you'll come across. It performs better, is easier to drive once you learn how, and is cheaper.

12. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yep - lotsa old VW owners did this when that damned clutch cable would break. Pretty tough little starter motors in them things! Drove mine like that until I could afford the new cable. Still remember the fun of changing it. :D

13. 64Strat

ha! you too!! awesome!

here's the car I referenced I did it in... these photos are the original Polaroids from 1970.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

Manual transmission is a given over here.

Nobody really drives an automatic unless some injury/disability forces them to over here...

15. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

We had an old Mercury 1/2 ton on the farm when I was a kid, learned to drive in it, had a floor lever about 3 feet long, 3 speed, no synchromesh,so I learned to double-clutch and match revs so I wouldn't need the clutch. Looked like this.
    I had a Harley 45 with a tank shift too, for that matter.

Attached Files:

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My best friend was a senior in HS, I was a sophomore. He had a late 40'a panhead with a tank shift, foot clutch. I rode it a lot and the only thing I remember HATING was doing a quick left turn from a dead stop...

Laid it down in the middle of a highway once. It was very heavy...

17. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I'm 37 years old. My first car was a '72 Beetle, so yes, I can drive stick (and that was not an easy car to learn on.) I can also change my own oil, change a tire, do basic repairs and maintenance around the house and set up my own guitars and own tools.

18. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Okay, but can you ride a bike with no handlebars?

19. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I can but I learned late, we only had slush boxes growing up, (it was a middle class status symbol in a small town) In fact my first car was a 1974 BMW 2002 "automatic" (proudly badged on the rear panel like it was a good thing.. >.<) bought from a local attorney.
    I had a few friends show me the stick but no one ever explained the "feathering" technique used to get going in 1st. so I would always stall. I finally came across the proper method in a old AAA drivers ed book, and then fun began. an '83 320i, a GTI, and a few others. it's been a while since I had a stick, but I'm looking for one for a second car…

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.