Can You Daisy Chain Bose L1 Compact PAs?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by PumpJockey, Aug 23, 2018.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

We currently use one L1 Compact with the ToneMatch box. Three mics and an acoustic/electric guitar go into it. The electric guitar and bass are separately amped. Percussion not mic'ed.

We are playing bigger venues now and are considering buying a second L1. The question is, can the 2 units be mixed together so all inputs are output (in mono) through both columns? If so, this gives us more volume, more spread and the ability to add in the bass amp and electric guitar. (They both have DI outs.)

I know the ToneMatch as well as the L1 has aux in and aux out. Is this how they can be chained?

The alternative is to go the more traditional route with mixer, power amp and speakers, but the Bose sounds great. I realize this may be beyond what the compact systems are designed for.

Another question: has anyone played through the plain vanilla versions of the Bose, like the Gemini or Turbosound?

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

3. PumpJockey

Perfect. You da man.

getbent likes this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

We use a regular little Mackie mixer with ours. If we had a second one, we'd just use the left and right outputs rather then just the left.

I see that getbent has hooked you up with the official answer.

Martin R likes this.
  5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My friend has used a pair since they were first released I'd guess. Over half those years were with an Americana group, including keyboard and bass (!). He used a small mixer (Mackie or Yamaha) and daisy-chained them. They're still in use when he does his solo gig.

P.S. I'm pretty sure he never goes into the microphone input on the 2nd unit because that has a Tonematch preset. I'm going to confirm that.

P.P.S. (edit). That video is wrong. The manual (my old, paper one, page 7) says the 1/4" output and 1/4" input (Channel 2) are to be connected together, *not* what the video describes. Both of those 1/4" jacks can take a TRS (balanced) or TS (unbalanced) cable. I know my friend uses just a plain guitar cable, but for a really long run you might want to spring for a balanced cable.

2018-08-24 09.46.58.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  6. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

Still, the L1 doesn’t image well as a stereo system.

Much more effective to use them as originally designed-one unit per person.

7. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The question was about daisy-chaining, which implies MONO. A pair of powered QSCs don't image well if you daisy-chain them.

If you want stereo, then, of course, you have to take the mixer L-R outputs independently to each side. The Bose manual also shows doing that when a separate mixer is used with more than one L1 Compact.

8. PumpJockey

We don't need or want stereo.We want balanced whole band output.

I have a bid in on a second L1 system. Thanks all.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

While nothing beats the sound of a Bose in a small space, If the new venues are big enough, the Bose just wont project out to the back of a room. Something to think about.

10. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

Didn’t really mean stereo in the conventional sense.

Just speaking from my experience with L1’s.

When each source is spread out properly, they have an amazingly natural clarity.

Once you try to use them with a mixer as conventional “speakers on sticks”, I find that normal speakers actually work better.

11. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

If you didn’t already get your BOSE tattoo, then going with some 12” powered speakers will get way more loudness per dollar compared to a second L1 Compact.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.