Can you bend your pinky w/o bending your ring?

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I could hit the farthest sink in the bathroom in fifth grade from just inside the door. Unfortunately, as I was demonstrating this feat of urinary accomplishment to someone who didn't believe me, Mr. Rogers appeared out of nowhere. Soon, some would say, I became famous, some might say infamous for my feat! Eventually I endured swats, wrote some really silly things on a blackboard a great number of times, and sat on the back porch of my classroom for most of the fall and winter. Alas, if only I had such propulsion capabilities today, I would be the envy of all the old duffers on every golf course in the land.
I know what you mean.
I realised age was marching on me when I became envious of the sound of my son's pressure.
A deafening roar in the morning.

The worst part was one morning, saying to Mrs K that I thought he was going to send the pan and cistern through the wall.
"Aye" she sighed "You used to sound like that."

I was crestfallen.

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
Neither. But as someone else noted, I can control it reasonably well IF the ring finger is restrained, like, say, pressed against a fretboard. The ring finger wants to move, wiggles a bit, but stays put.

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I know what you mean.
I realised age was marching on me when I became envious of the sound of my son's pressure.

The worst part was one morning, saying to Mrs K that I thought he was going to send the pan and cistern through the wall.

I was crestfallen.
Flowmax. Rx only.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
Some people can, some people can't.

How do you bend?

And also, for discussion,
if you can't bend your pinky without bending your ring how might that affect your guitar playing?

I can. Maybe I need to work on that and get better at it. Sort of like when you learned the Vulcan greeting as a kid. First time I tried to move 2 fingers one way and 2 fingers the other, it didn't work. At all lol.

Edit: pretty funny that others thought of the Vulcan thing too :lol:

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
Can't do it with either. My right hand is full of issues regardless so I wasn't expecting much, the left was a bit of a surprise though. Offered almost no resistance. I will take solace in the fact that the pinky on my left hand is particularly strong for fretting.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Yes on right: no on left. But ... last joint of pinkie won't bend.

If you keep the middle finger straight, when you bend the ring finger does the last joint of the ring finger stay straight??

Blue Bill

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Both hands yes, up to a point. After 3/4 or so of the curl, my ring finger starts to follow.

Yes on right: no on left. But ... last joint of pinkie won't bend.

If you keep the middle finger straight, when you bend the ring finger does the last joint of the ring finger stay straight??
I tried this, and got yelled at by my wife, for being rude. 😧

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
As an adult, took piano lessons from a conservatory teacher.

One of the exercises was finger independence by bending each one with and apart from adjacent fingers.

Hard to do at first, but incredibly important exercises even after all these years!

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
On my right hand I can bend them individually, which doesn’t surprise me as I am right handed, but my left hand those fingers prefer to act together, forcing me to put forth serious effort to play some passages. That is likely one of the reasons I feel I don’t play as well as some others, and explains to me why a past band mate would endlessly grieve me for not using my pinky. I never thought about it until I read the original post.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I know what you mean.

I was crestfallen.
Where once a mighty river ran, now a trickle seeps from the source.