Can You Be Happy Paying Full Price for Guitar or Gear?

Can You Be Happy Paying Full Price For Guitar Gear?

• No, the purchase price enhances the experience of owning the gear.

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Yes, the purchase price is what it is, the experience is the gear itself.

Votes: 61 80.3%

• Total voters

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Perhaps I didn't understand the question. I want as nice a guitar as I can find for the cheapest price possible.
Would you buy your dream forever guitar at full price? Or would you buy something else at 1/2 off? And would you say “I really love this guitar because it’s 1/2 off” instead of having your dream guitar?

For many people the discount is a significant part of the enjoyment.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
I've read many NGD threads where the price(low) was as important as the item itself. Something like, "I wasn't even looking for a guitar, but the price was so low". Or could just be "This is my dream guitar in every way, and here's what I paid". I will say for myself I've always been a knowledgeable price shopper, but I've never bought something just for price, and most of the gear I do buy has been at the mid-level price range for that item.

Edit: I include used gear, where “full price” would be fair market rate.
If I've GAS:sed myself into accepting the full price, then sure. Absolutely. Otherwise I wouldn't pay it.
However, a great deal is a great deal and can be its own reward. For instance... would I want a Rickenbacker 4001 ?
Absolutely! Would I pay $2700-$3500 for one? Hell no! Would I pay $600 for one? In a heartbeat!
And I would be very happy about it. However... as I'm infamously incompatible with Gibson SG:s, let's use them as an example.
If I found a real Gibson SG for let's say $300, I'd probably buy it anyway and be quite happy about my find even
though I'd never pay $300 for an Epiphone SG.

I just realized this text is very incoherent, but that's what you get today. 🙃

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I used to be a bargain shopper/opportunist.

I’m over it. I want what I want. I’ll pay for it. Or I’ll wait til I can. Don’t get me wrong, I love a bargain. I love the score. But I won’t buy anything anymore just because it’s a good deal.

I have the best gear right now that I’ve ever had in 35 years of playing to pay my bills. It was not cheap. I have more invested in my stage gear than I ever have before in my life. It was worth it. I’m done with settling.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
The last item that I bought was a Gibson Les Paul Standard 50's GoldTop. I wanted it for a really long time, so I have been saving money for a couple of years and looking for a used one. Because there was none, I bought a new guitar and paid the full price and I am very happy now.

When I really want something, I have no problem saving for it and paying the full price if there is no used items on the market.

I do however also check for used items locally, pedals for example, because you can get some cool stuff for a bargain, you just have to be patient.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
If I really want something I'll pay for it. The fact that you got a bargain gets quickly forgotten.

You get the odd exception, like when something you really want but can't afford suddenly gets hugely discounted. But that's really rare.

When I sell one of my paintings I set a more-than-fair price. If someone starts haggling, I walk away.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
First. I don't buy guitars and amps over the 'net.
I should start by saying, I'm not in the 'under £1000' range, anymore.
There's the RRP or advertised price, which I am prepared to pay, otherwise I wouldn't be in the shop, however, I do go in with the intention of negotiating a deal.
I expect at least a free set of strings, since I'm buying a guitar that's been in the shop, passed through hands and the strings are anywhere between 'used and knackered'.
If the guitar doesn't come with a case, then it's 'game on'. 'Does it come with a case?' 'How much can you do me a case for it?'
It's never really a case of beating them down, more giving them an opportunity to put a smile on a punter's face.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've read many NGD threads where the price(low) was as important as the item itself. Something like, "I wasn't even looking for a guitar, but the price was so low". Or could just be "This is my dream guitar in every way, and here's what I paid". I will say for myself I've always been a knowledgeable price shopper, but I've never bought something just for price, and most of the gear I do buy has been at the mid-level price range for that item.

Edit: I include used gear, where “full price” would be fair market rate.
I would never buy anything (guitar or other) JUST because it's cheap......it has to be something I want and have been looking for.
However, clarify "full price".......If you mean Manufacturer's Suggested List Price.....no. Everything's pretty much available at a "street price" nowadays. And, in general, I seek out a good value when buying something. My most recent "new" purchase was my Godin Multiac Encore nylon string. I checked CraigsList, Reverb, and Guitar Center for a couple weeks.....NO ONE had a used one at a reasonable price, so I ended up buying new from Amazon. (with free, fast delivery) I paid the typical "street price", and don't expect to ever sell it.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I've always been a value shopper, looking for deals. I don't buy every deal I run across though. And, as my collection has grown, I've gotten more picky, perhaps missing out on a few really good buys here and there. My recent preference in guitars has been to find discounted parts, new or used, for parts builds or used guitars the current owner considers "broken" ("won't stay in tune" being the most common).

stnmtthw

Friend of Leo's
Ill add that while I have always paid full price, say at sweetwater for example, I do kind of tire lately of seeing youtubers geting free gear from sweetwater. It has made me return somethings lately and sometimes consider not purchasing from them at all anymore.
Interesting take. Would you mind explaining your reasoning? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't understand what the problem is.

I think its just cheap advertising for them- they give up a guitar and get their company name in front of a lot of people with no effort on their part. Same as a manufacturer creating an artist signature model. How many Strats has Eric Clapton sold just slapping his name on the headstock and collecting the check... its win-win.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
Amy Grant learned a saying from her father and it encapsulates my buying philosophy:

"A good deal is only a good deal if it is a good deal for everyone involved."

Before I buy I typically do my research and see what the reasonable street price is for the item. As others have said, I prefer to allow the dealer to make enough to survive. I like for everyone to walk away with a smile on his face. I discuss it with the dealers on a parity basis, with respect and low stress. I don't typically walk in once and buy an expensive instrument. I've gotten some very good deals. If I find an exceptional instrument, I don't let paying MAP stand in the way of acquiring it. In those cases, the decision to purchase the instrument often comes ahead of the pricing discussions. Even using that method, as I said, I've gotten some really good deals.

Bob.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
When in the UK still I used a local non chain music shop and bought everything from there at marked price, it worked well as they began to discount for me of their own accord after a while, so I guess being happy with the listed price can have benefits

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Do you mean MSRP? No!

I do a little price comparison but that's well after I decided upon what I want. Current models will always be harder to get deals on and haven't hit the used market in bulk yet. I've bought mostly new over the years and been very pleased in the long run.

I know how we trip out over $4000 for a guitar!!! But check out boats or cars or motorcycles! Even a good bicycle will cost more than a CS Telecaster.

Even a custom shop guitar and a boutique amp are cheap compared to other hobbies!

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Rarely, normally I buy used, or work trades, and sometimes trades plus cash.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Growing up I never would have dreamed of haggling.
I found it cringy.

When I first got into farming I had to sell a lot of my produce to wholesale buyers who invariably all beat hell out of me on price.
Everything was negotiated on the spot because they have you in a corner as the seller of a perishable product in an oversupplied market.

Over the years I’ve been browbeat out of many thousands of dollars by aggressive buyers who sensed my need to make a quick sale.
I have become desensitized to the whole process.
I have no problem asking for a sellers best price on something I’m buying.
Im not a jerk about it, but I will ask.
I don’t mind being told no.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I hate paying full price for anything. Everything is available used. Patience pays off. If I was to pay full price for a guitar I would need to be really really sure I would keep it for a really long time.