Can we talk about shoes and feet?

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Since this is the Bad Dog…

072C70D8-6D01-48B8-95F8-0258F2592FC7.jpeg

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I've never spent more time in all my life thinking about and paying attention to my feet than I have in the last 8 months.

When I was in my teens and 20s I threw on whatever was cool and cheap and went about my life. Now I have foot pain, I overpronate, I have flattened arches, one of my feet is crooked because I spent too much time in the womb laying against one side, and one is bigger than the other... but not by much.

At work I am on my feet all day. I now no longer care nearly as much about what looks cool, I just want to be comfortable. Now that I'm a grown adult I don't care if comfort costs me good money either.

I bought three pairs of shoes today. Over the last three days I've tried about 13 pairs of shoes. It's been eye-opening what a completely personal and sometimes counter intuitive experience finding the right pair of shoes can be.
👃

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Skechers arch fit for me but that doesn't mean they will be for you. It takes awhile to get it right

fretbuzzard

Tele-Meister
When my feet need a little tlc and when the weather allows I’m a fan of Birkenstock and Mephisto sandals. The Mephistos have the advantage that, like Allen Edmonds or Red Wings, they can be resoled/recrafted when the soles or footbeds wear out or break down.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Years ago I went to see my podiatrist to get a plantar wart removed. After sitting in his waiting room for a half hour (standard doctor protocol - you don't get to see him until after you sit in the waiting room for 20 minutes or more and then in an exam room for another 15), I noticed something peculiar. When he finally greeted me and gifted me with his presence, I asked him to estimate what percentage of his patient base was old fat people who wear cheap shoes. He laughed because it was so true ...

My Dad was always emphatic about wearing quality shoes that support your feet. Now that I'm 63 years old and 6'6" and 280, it's even more important to give my aging arches and ankles a break. Cheap shoes are their own reward. Orthotics same same - cheap ones are just padded insoles.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Back in the 80’s I was in a super-market in Cambridge (Bread and Circus to be specific) and saw super rock star Tom Scholz of Boston shopping.

He was wearing the ugliest shoes I had ever seen. Birkenstock Arizona sandals.

View attachment 994090

Now I wear these things myself every day.

Close my eyes and slip away….
I have the exact birks. I remember when I first saw birks as a teen and thought they were the ugliest shoes ever. Now, I always have one pair. I used to run ultras and these were the only shoes that helped my fascia heal.

Edit: Im not in public with these often.

2A42EC8F-6C31-4808-90D0-D82DCFD09A68.jpeg

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
I have the exact birks. I remember when I first saw birks as a teen and thought they were the ugliest shoes ever. Now, I always have one pair. I used to run ultras and these were the only shoes that helped my fascia heal.

Edit: Im not in public with these often.

View attachment 999017
They are great for helping foot problems like plantar fasciitis.

I wear them almost everywhere. And with socks. There. I said it. With socks.

They’re not great for long walks or anywhere with pebbles.

Did I mention that I wear them with socks in public? 😆😆😆😆

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
They are great for helping foot problems like plantar fasciitis.

I wear them almost everywhere. And with socks. There. I said it. With socks.

They’re not great for long walks or anywhere with pebbles.

Did I mention that I wear them with socks in public? 😆😆😆😆
Just avoid black or white socks and you should be good!

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
My wife is a no shoes in the house person. I've got great toe arthritis and have had problems with plantar fasciitis and I'm about to get her her own dang house over it.

trandy9850

TDPRI Member
I’m sort of surprised that with all these various foot issues no one has mentioned SAS Shoes….I have terrible neuropathy in both feet due to diabetes and these have become the only brand of shoe I can rely on….I wear a size 12M in SAS and they are ridiculously consistent style-wise….no matter if it’s a slip-on or a regular lace-up they always fit the same.

I was so miserable for so many years and I tried every brand between here and the moon….but these did the trick….and now I have ten different pairs….at $200.00 and up for a pair they’re pretty expensive….but they are well worth that expense.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I’m sort of surprised that with all these various foot issues no one has mentioned SAS Shoes….I have terrible neuropathy in both feet due to diabetes and these have become the only brand of shoe I can rely on….I wear a size 12M in SAS and they are ridiculously consistent style-wise….no matter if it’s a slip-on or a regular lace-up they always fit the same.

I was so miserable for so many years and I tried every brand between here and the moon….but these did the trick….and now I have ten different pairs….at $200.00 and up for a pair they’re pretty expensive….but they are well worth that expense.
Agreed, the San Antonio Shoes I got 6 years ago have served my feet well. They have lost their appearance some and are now my yardwork shoes. Still as comfy as new though.

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
Hey Dude's - I wouldn't want to run pass routes in them, but they are the most comfortable, lightest show I've ever worn - and about half the price of similar shoes. My 2X the price Skechers now stay in the back of the closet.

1659753855950.png

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Have to admit I was really hoping this wasn't a thread about old men's shoes 😢

20220226_010342542_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

BelairPlayer

Tele-Afflicted
D64B98C9-F266-4C8F-AD1C-5B479405FEC2.jpeg

Laugh all you want. I’m tired of hurty feet. These are my dress shoes, my casual shoes, my relaxing around the house shoes, my running errands shoes. Laugh, laugh, laugh … I don’t care.

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
New Balance is the only company I've found (outside of bespoke makers) who make 2E wide soccer boots. I have 4E feet, but at least I can wear them.