Can we talk about shoes and feet?

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
New Balance 13 4E for me. When I get outta the pool, I leave duck tracks...

Had foot surgery on both in '69, "flat" doesn't do em justice.

My podiatrist loves em. I just got back from my morning 3mi dog walk. Comfy feet.

Reactions: BB

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
New Balance 13 4E for me. When I get outta the pool, I leave duck tracks...

Had foot surgery on both in '69, "flat" doesn't do em justice.

My podiatrist loves em. I just got back from my morning 3mi dog walk. Comfy feet.
Size 13 4E? You must be the guy leaving all them squatch prints around wooded areas. If your foot was any wider you could skip across a medium sized creek or river. I guess barefoot skiing isn't really a problem for you.....

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
My wife fell a few months ago and is recovering from a cracked tibia, right above the left ankle. She has only now weaned off a boot on that foot. We got a pair quasi-prescription athletic shoes that had been discounted to about $140 with the written reference from her podiatrist.

I alternate between two pairs of Skechers I found at Sam's about a year ago. About $30 per pair. Very comfortable.

My wife insisted that I buy a pair of deck shoes on sale for $35 a couple of days ago. They are size 9. I have worn 9 1/2 for a long time, gut the 9s fit. I theorized that old people fall because their feet get shorter, just like their spines, and they are wearing shoes that are too big. But I looked it up and that is not the case. Your feet do not shrink.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I have something wrong with my left foot where one of the toes meets the foot, it feels like a bone popping out of place and when it goes it really hurts. It has been doing this for a few years so doesn't look as if it is planning on going away.

Re footwear, my most recent purchase was the Veggie Trekker Mk 5 hiking boot by Vegetarian Shoes. Vibram sole and I put in a new set of insoles when they arrived. They're comfortable and so far waterproof. Their ten up Airseal Boulder steels are also really comfortable, a chunky Doc Martin style sole.

Last year I bought a new pair of Wood World steels for the winter, I think they were old stock as the name was changed to Prospecta possibly on prompting from Timberland. After minimal wear the heel is already coming away and the cobbler said that they're a write off, it's the welt and sole separating from the boot, same with my last old pair of Prospectas, the welt has split so no point in a resole.

Re the vegan boots, as mentioned above I bought a pair of leather boots last year to get through what I was hoping would be at least four wet winters but they lasted one but as I said they were probably old stock from the turn of the millenium. I still have leather boots which I will wear until they are beyond repair including two pairs of Dutch army boots which a relatives Dutch husband gave me, they were his from his national service in the early 80s. I took one pair in for a resole a couple of years ago and cobbler admired them saying "they don't make them like that anymore" referring to the quality of leather and build quality.

I wear everything literally into the ground, I have Adidas and Puma trainers which I bought in the 1990s and I'm currently wearing a sweatshirt an ex bought me around 1993.

old soul

Tele-Holic
Big ol' flat feet, and years and years on my feet for work, here. For running shoes, ASICS gt1000 are my favorite, followed by either a new balance 680 or a Nike renew. Work boots I like timberland white ledge(the only boots that lasted over a year being constantly wet). Sandals etc I like tevas, crocs and a pair of fakenstocks. Most shoes require an arch support insole, but sometimes I get lucky and find a pair that just fits right

effzee

Tele-Holic
I just want to say something maybe a little confrontational: comfortable shoes aren't usually the best option in the long term. Feet need to be exercised and strengthened, not pampered. "Comfortable" is a marketing tactic the shoe manufacturers use to sell shoes quickly. I was involved in the Bowerman project with Nike many moons ago. The only thing they were interested in was how to construct their supposed sports shoes to sell within 5 minutes. They want customers to put shoes on, feel great, purchase. Done. When I pointed out obvious detrimental effects on the runner's biomechanics, they just countered with corporate jargon and went on to discuss trendy colors etc

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
Yep. I worked in a factory in the mid-1970s, standing 8-12 hours on a concrete floor. Feet hurt so much I could hardly stand it but I’d just move on the next pair of company work shoes, hoping for the best. No more.

My eye opener was maybe 15 years ago when I got plantar fasciitis from just plain old lotta walking. I went to a runner shoe place where they fit me with a decent pair of runners, and I don’t run. My feet had changed a ton over the years but those new shoes felt like I was walking on air. Never looked back.

I still walk in those same Brooks brand & model runners, plus some Merrell slip ons, Keen Newports, Danner work and hunting boots and a pair of Oofo sandals that instantly relieve any PF recurrence.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've been wearing Keens almost exclusively (when not running or otherwise working out) for over fifteen years, but recently it looks like they don't have rugged leather slip-ons anymore; I guess their target market demographic has drifted away from me. So now I'm looking for a replacement.

For running shoes, I went through a long phase of minimalist, zero-drop shoes like Altra, but since I've gained weight anyways lol I have switched to Hoka Cliftons--so cushy!
I wear these. I really like them.

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
My wife always says the three things you have to have are "Good shoes,good tires and a good bed"
When I was a kid my mom was a waitress, she would come home complaining about her feet hurting. I thought how in the world can your feet hurt.
I had to retire because I couldn't stand on my feet all day anymore, and there seems to be no such thing as comfortable shoes anymore.
I have had no luck with custom insoles either.
Getting old is not for wimps.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The last few years Brooks has been doing a nice job with their higher end joggers. I’ve been wearing them regularly as casual footwear and once in a while for running. (For serious running I also wear Aisics and Saucony). The Brooks Ghost fits me particularly well, come in widths and look good.

Ecco are well made and have a great reputation for fit. I’m not familiar with their newer “sneaker” line but the casual ones are solid.

Allen Edmonds is good for dressier shoes and have consistent quality.

I like Chippewa for work footwear.

Take care with the real big brand names as virtually all of them are subcontracted and quality control is inconsistent.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I've seen a few posts about running shoe brands and in my experience there's probably a brand that fits your foot better than others. I find anything other than Brooks puts the support in the wrong place. For my daughter it's Saucony. My brother swears by New Balance.
Anyway, it's worth spending time to get the right fit.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've seen a few posts about running shoe brands and in my experience there's probably a brand that fits your foot better than others. I find anything other than Brooks puts the support in the wrong place. For my daughter it's Saucony. My brother swears by New Balance.
Anyway, it's worth spending time to get the right fit.

Every Nike I've tried is too narrow in the toe box for my feet. I think you're right.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Something else that needs to be mentioned is compression socks. If a "standard" blood pressure is 120 over 80 then 120 mmHg is the left ventricle as it beats, and 80 mmHg is arterial pressure between beats. By the time blood in the veins is on its way back from your big toe the pressure's down to 5-6 mmHg. That's a huge drop. So, your veins have one-way valves to allow the blood to stair step against gravity up your leg back to your lungs and heart. When your leg veins overfill the valves become incompetent and fluid leaks out to the surrounding tissue (edema). Knee high compression socks help reverse the leakage-the external pressures helps push the cusps of the valves together again improving function, circulation and decreasing edema.

They should be worn all day, every day. They also come in three amounts of compression: light, moderate and firm. Find the one you can tolerate because any compression is better than none. And this need for compression will continue for the rest of your life. But hey, they're only socks. No one likes those cargo shorts anyway, right? ;)

I like the Sockwell brand on Amazon. Expect to spend $25-30 for a pair of decent socks. Cheaper ones won't last. And get at least two pair so you can wear one and wash the other.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The effects of time definitely have impact on shoe choice. At this point, the only thing that's truly comfortable for me is Sketchers GoWalk variants. Even so, I also have been using insoles with a specific configuration to alleviate foot and hip pain...the Dr Scholls numbered type that you stand on a machine to ascertain which version is needed. I use them in all my Sketchers products as well as the pair of Keen lightweight safety shoes I now own because of my shop build project.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Using really good inserts help even good shoes. Especially with arch supports. I did a lot of conferences when I worked. Used SAS shoes, dress and slip-ons. New Balance now d or walking. Get good socks too.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Get something that's bright neon colored. Not kidding. Someone at our church had undergone multiple back surgeries and he said his bright neon green shoes were the most comfortable pair of shoes he ever wore. He even wore them in a full suit. I'm flat footed and in my JROTC them combat boots just kill my feet when I march in them. Hopefully I can get soles in them before boot camp lol

I wear various Dr Scholls insoles in everything. Some are foam, some are gel. The insoles that come in most shoes are crap.