Can we talk about shoes and feet?

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
I've never spent more time in all my life thinking about and paying attention to my feet than I have in the last 8 months.

When I was in my teens and 20s I threw on whatever was cool and cheap and went about my life. Now I have foot pain, I overpronate, I have flattened arches, one of my feet is crooked because I spent too much time in the womb laying against one side, and one is bigger than the other... but not by much.

At work I am on my feet all day. I now no longer care nearly as much about what looks cool, I just want to be comfortable. Now that I'm a grown adult I don't care if comfort costs me good money either.

I bought three pairs of shoes today. Over the last three days I've tried about 13 pairs of shoes. It's been eye-opening what a completely personal and sometimes counter intuitive experience finding the right pair of shoes can be.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
me too man. It's rare I find a comfy pair that I can wear very long. The best for me were Rockports with the real Vibram sole. Super lightweight and great support. No longer made.
I never could figure out what happened to Vibram soles. I think Nike bought them and eliminated them. There are still a few shoes sold using a Vibram sole name, but NO, they are not the same... just ugly rubber now.
I managed a 100,000 sq ft factory and was on concrete much of the day.

The best shoes I can find now are New Balance running shoes. For some reason that brand always feel good on my feet. A shoe guy once told me why, but I forget. He was right.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yes! Worth every cent. Especially cool shoes. If they happen to be tabi boots that’s a bonus. White tabi are specially worth it. Whichever awesome, rockin stage boots you decide, they’ll be worth it. You can tell a lot about someone by their shoes. 3 pair in a day is a good day.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’m simply old.
When you get old, comfort really becomes a thing.
I wore boots for decades.
They hurt my feet, but I was young and tough.
Now my feet are a half size bigger than when I was young.
I still wear boots at gigs.
It’s part of the country band stage get up.
I only wear em’ on stage.
For load in, and out, it’s comfortable loafers.

Last edited:

Gnometowner

Tele-Meister
Year ago May 5th a girlfriend ran over my left foot and ankle as she was backing out of my driveway. Broke all my toes, messed up my lower leg and the tire yanked my Danner boot off ripping a 2" long and almost as wide hunk of flesh on my achilles. Fought bad infection and dangerous blood flow problems most of the year.
I just started getting shoes on for long periods. So now left foot is big wide size 14, right foot loose fit in size 14.
In 1996 right leg had a shin compartment injury from getting caught between two sailboat slips while building them.
So now leg and foot pain is my worst enemy. Scary circulation issues, scar tissue, edema, pieces of broken toenails trying to come out. Fun fun fun.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
The brand that feels best for my feet is Rockport. I've had lots of pairs over the years. (I cut the arch out of the removable inner sole.)

Worth a try sometime?

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I saw these shoes in a local store. My wife said that I couldn't buy them. :(

bluesuedeshoes.JPG

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
Currently working a desk job. Monday - Friday. Nice daytime hours. A/C. Heat. Windows and a door to my private office. Comfortable chair. A great desk with 3 computer monitors. What does this have to do with feet and shoes? I’m extremely grateful for my working environment. My ankles and knees ache most days, and I’m not even on my feet all day. I can’t imagine being on my feet all day. I’d be screwed. As we age, different things become important. Good footware is important for sure!

I’m liking my Blundstones for gigging. Standing 3 ½ hours, they work well for me.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
me too man. It's rare I find a comfy pair that I can wear very long. The best for me were Rockports with the real Vibram sole. Super lightweight and great support. No longer made.
I never could figure out what happened to Vibram soles. I think Nike bought them and eliminated them. There are still a few shoes sold using a Vibram sole name, but NO, they are not the same... just ugly rubber now.
I managed a 100,000 sq ft factory and was on concrete much of the day.

The best shoes I can find now are New Balance running shoes. For some reason that brand always feel good on my feet. A shoe guy once told me why, but I forget. He was right.

Re: New Balance - I tried a few on. So apparently their deal is they were developed for people who had developed feet problems like low arches. They're generally made wider and do not have aggressive arch support like Nike, for example.

I have 2E wide feet, so I need a big toe box. The New Balances I tried on were comfortable, but ultimately I went with (for one pair) a pair of Nike Monarchs at the recommendation of a very knowledgeable shoe guy at the store.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
13 big and wide here. Tennis shoes = Keen, awesome comfort and hold up well. Casual shoes Duluth Traders leather loafers with heavy trac rubber soles. Comfy shoes = Soft Science self draining deck shoes.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Re: New Balance - I tried a few on. So apparently their deal is they were developed for people who had developed feet problems like low arches. They're generally made wider and do not have aggressive arch support like Nike, for example.

I have 2E wide feet, so I need a big toe box. The New Balances I tried on were comfortable, but ultimately I went with (for one pair) a pair of Nike Monarchs at the recommendation of a very knowledgeable shoe guy at the store.
Forty years ago I had a friend who raved about New Balance. I tried a pair and they were the worst running shoes I ever bought. I looked into it. At that time New Balance were straight lasted. I walk on the outside of my feet so I need shoes for someone that Pronates, that’s Nikes and Adidas. New Balance were awful for me. You need to figure out what your feet do.
New Balance today might make multiple sty of shoes. I don’t know.