Can we please break the Gibson SG from its “metal only” stereotype?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cmm71, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

2. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

When I think of the SG I think if Eric Clapton's psychedelic one from Cream and I think of Derek Trucks. I can't think of any metal players using and SG, but I can think of plenty of them who use Ibanez, Jackson, Vigier, Strandberg, etc.

hellopike and G.Rotten like this.
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

A couple of points:
    1. SGs were Gibson's primary solid body guitar from 1961-1967 there were a lot of them around and were played by a wide variety of players covering a lot of diverse genres.
    2. Because of this a lot of the "proto-metal" players from the late 60s/early 70s wound up playing SGs - besides Iommi I'm thinking of Leigh Stevens with Blue Cheer. It was also in the hands of a lot of hard rock players in the early 70s Buxton and Bruce with Alice Cooper. There are a lot of "pre-metal"/"proto-metal" players in this thread.
    3. Also the definition of "Metal" evolved over time - most of the pre-metal/proto-metal guys and heavier hard rock players may have been counted as "Metal" in the early 70s and are definitely not counted as "Metal" any more - so the model sometimes still gets painted by that brush.
    4. The SG is also the DNA behind a lot of other guitars considered metal - it's definitely in the DNA of BC Rich guitars.
    So sure - early "true Metal" players had SGs because they were cheap and readily available. However the SG transcends genres.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  4. aux8

aux8 Tele-Meister

An SG was Johnny Marr's favourite for a few years

[​IMG]

It got stolen from the stage and was recovered a few years later in a police raid!

jayyj, 41144, Bruxist and 5 others like this.
  5. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Didn't Sylvia Vanterpool have an SG? Maybe Mary Ford, too. John McLaughlin had a doubleneck SG until he got the custom guitar. Did you say Duane Allman? He is the patron saint of SGs.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Check out a faded Sg. You can get all the goods except for shiny nitro for less than $500 used. I'd skip Norlin Sg's myself. Some are alder and poplar, especially the ones that were supposed to replace the melody maker. SG 1, SG2, Sg100, Sg200. They have wider bodies and wider pegheads with less cutaway contours. I have 3 SG's now and did own the others I mentioned over the years. I also had a 64-65 standard but flipped it after I repaired it.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=352694062578

drlucky and Marc Morfei like this.
  7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Faded SG. Yes I have seen those. So is that basically like a Les Paul Studio? The real thing, but stripped down without any bling?

8. guitarbuilder

9. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I bought a used 2018 "Bankruptcy Special." I'm not an expert whatsoever in this regard, but I believe besides the pickups (mini hums in mine, Classic 57s in the Standards) the differences are mainly cosmetic... Satin finish vs gloss, silk screened headstock vs inlaid, unbound fretboard vs bound. I paid a titch over $700 for mine, which seems pretty typical. I love it!

10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

sg isn't a metal guitar, it's a hippie guitar. all the hippies had 'em because it was the best guitars they could afford. there would never have been hippie music if it weren't for sg's.

Chip, MisterZ and Sean Mac like this.
  11. guitarbuilder

Nobody has really mentioned that the SG shape was "the" solid body electric guitar built during the 60's. LP production for the most part started back up in 1968, so 1961-1968 were SG years.... and that's why you saw so many of those folks playing them then during those years.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  12. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

I can't promise anything...let me make a few phone calls. :D

I am not sure why a stereotype bothers you. If you like'em, play'em!!

I thought I would pour a little bit more salt on the subject. :p

f0ca709087cfc2dfac18b950850defc9-320-80.jpg

studio1087 likes this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

SG's are beautiful clean and they're more comfortable than a Stratocaster.
    [​IMG]

MilwMark likes this.
  14. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

SGs have a metal stereotype? That's a new one me.

[​IMG]

Flakey and MilwMark like this.
  15. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

It's the Devil Horns. Right?

MilwMark likes this.
  16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

SG's are my number 1's. Never thought of em as metal ever. Very versatile guitars.

G.Rotten likes this.
  17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Guess what was in my mailbox today?
    20190715_182206.jpg
    This one will have a fatter neck, P90s and a carbon fiber reinforced headstock, from 100 year old mahogany.
    (Ok, so it wasn't really in the mailbox but the notice was)

stevieboi and archtop_fjk like this.
  18. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Do the horns put it into "pointy guitar" territory? Maybe that's the issue. "That guitar looks too pointy to play blues/country/jazz/etc."

(FWIW, I hate the way they look, but love the way they play and sound. SGs and I have a complicated relationship.)

19. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wow, this thread took off. I’ve read each and every reply. Sorry to those I’ve annoyed with my post. I was really just trying to make a light-hearted observation. Apparently I’m the only one that takes it personal when people misjudge my beloved SG. I have the requisite cherry red 61 reissue, but my favorite is my ebony 2018 standard. There’s something about the ebony Gibsons that just do it for me. Folks see the black SG and immediately we’re talking about AC/DC and Black Sabbath...then I start rattling off names and then...”but...Angus...”. Anyway, sorry to ruffle feathers, been a while since I’ve posted and thought it would be a fun point to make before bed last night.

Chip and G.Rotten like this.
  20. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I didn't know what to expect in this thread because of the title. I've never thought of the SG as a 'metal' guitar, and I think the photos posted in the thread prove my perception as correct. I've never played metal myself and I've owned 2 SGs, though I only own one now and have for years. And I can't ever get rid of it because Mrs. idjster LOVES it and she plays anything BUT metal. But your mileage may vary of course.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.