Can this tele be Bigsby’d?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by guitfiddles, Aug 28, 2018.

1. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

Hi guys, I just ordered a fender parallel universe thinline telecaster (seen in the picture) and I want to put a Bigsby on it. I’d prefer to use a vibramate on it to keep it original.

From what I can tell in the picture it looks like a 3 hole hardtail strat bridge. I’ve looked at the vibramate options and the only thing I see is a 4 hole shorty ashtray option. If they don’t offer a 3 hole version I guess it can’t be done.

Has anyone here put a Bigsby on one of these tele thinline models and if so how’d you do it?

Here’s my 2 cents on this particular guitar. Obviously Fender was going for a tele / Gretsch hybrid. I’m guessing that most of the people who love the idea of this particular mishmash would want a Bigsby on it - or at least the option to do it. So why on earth would Fender put a 3 hole strat bridge on it which makes putting a Bigsby almost impossible. I mean, unless there’s an option out there that I’m not aware of, all I see are 4 hole tele bridge options.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Attached Files:

2. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nice looking tele, congrats.

guitfiddles likes this.
  3. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Nice guitar. I'd love to have one of those. I have a thinline telecaster with a vibramate, but it has a three-barrel bridge. I searched and found the V5-TEAS-ST vibramate kit for cabronitas. That might be what you are after.

Crobbins and BorderRadio like this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A Vibramate TEAS-1 might get you close enough. You probably will need to fill in a few holes and drill new ones. The elephant in the room though is cutting off the portion of the plate that hold the pickup. It can be done, it can look good.

I agree with you about the Bigsby. I've been working on a Tele/Gretsch Sparkle Jet mashup for almost two years now. I went with a chopped B-16. Just need to man up and finish the silver sparkle top.

20170829_055751 (1).jpg Bigsb16chop.jpg

brookdalebill and bender66 like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey thats it! I should of scrolled down...

6. navigate40

navigate40 Tele-Meister

The Vibramate V5-TEAS-ST kit is probably the best solution. Be advised...there are a number of retailers online who show the 5 hole "cabronita" version.....but deliver the standard 3 hole American tele version.

If you see a pic of the actual one for sale....you can get that. You will be looking for a 5 hole 'cabronita' version.

I used this on a tele that had the same bridge. The inner two holes were close...but not close enough for me....so I drilled the two outer holes. No big deal. Having the center hole is helpful in getting it centered. Drilling the outer two holes gives you holes to mount a standard American bridge, should you wish to do so later.

Very happy with the bigsby on my tele.

Best of luck.

7. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I tried using the existing 6 saddle hardtail strat bridge that came on the guitar with a Bigsby but it just wasn’t working out. Callaham sold me a new bridge that was a perfect fit and was notched in the back for the he Bigsby. I also got Callaham’s other Bigsby upgrade parts and put them on. It was really easy to upgrade. I ended up going direct mount instead of getting a vibramate rig. My wife installed the Bigsby for me and she did a perfect job.

My main reason when I asked my original question was that I didn’t know if the guitar had wood underneath where the Bigsby attaches. I didn’t want to try to mount the thing and end up screwing up the guitar. I’m glad everything worked out ok.

IMG_5397.JPG

Tim S, brookdalebill, LPTyler and 4 others like this.
  8. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Perfect plan....let your wife risk screwing up the guitar instead.

guitfiddles, jim777 and BorderRadio like this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Dangit, that is cool.

guitfiddles likes this.
  10. Darrell Fuller

Darrell Fuller TDPRI Member

The bridge was used because they wanted to line the strings up with the pickup pole spacing.

guitfiddles likes this.
  11. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

Lol. Over the years she has done pickup changes and lots of other stuff for me. She loves it when I ask her to do something to one of my guitars for me.

BobbyMac likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Woah.

You have just Won the World.

Congrats!

I bet almost every guy here is green with envy. How many guys here would like Santa to bring them a wife who could do this? All of them.

:^)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.