1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can the Baja telecaster do convincing Strat sounds?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bluesholyman, Nov 22, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I have a Baja and can sit down and do a listen, but wanted to get other perspectives on this as "other peoples ears" tend to be more honest than ones own.

Given the S-1 switching and that out-of-phase options, wondering if anyone found it useful enough to do passable strat sounds.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

2. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I have a Vintera Modified Tele with the S-1. With the pickups in parallel yet out-of-phase, it's passable as a Strat-ish sound for clean/mildly overdriven rhythms but less convincing for single-note leads, in my opinion. Leads sound more like early '50s T-Bone Walker than, say, Mark Knopfler or Eric Clapton. Less quacky to me.

That being said, I did a dance-rock recording earlier this year where I used an in-between Strat sound in one channel and doubled it with the Vintera out-of-phase sound in the other channel and I have trouble telling which is which unless I isolate them.

Piggy Stu and bluesholyman like this.
  3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Nope.

I don't think so, it just sounds like a guitar that suddenly goes thin to me. Nothing like a strat sound.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Baja but the out of phase (or any other position) didn't sound anything strat-like to me.

Marc Morfei and Dismalhead like this.
  4. smuc

smuc TDPRI Member

I have owned a Baja for a few years and never liked any other than the 3 standard tele sounds. Generally, these non-standard gimmicks like coil splitting and out of phase switching to my ears always seemed to take away more than they give (I even have 3 way switching on all of my strats:confused:). Also, I have never really been successful in emulating stuff. A tele and a strat are two different worlds.

Hope that you can get better results with your Baja, it's a really good guitar!

Greggorios, Marc Morfei and mkdaws32 like this.
  5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

If you want a true Strat sound, you have to go to the original source... :cool:

6. smuc

smuc TDPRI Member

Yup, pretty much. Don't expect that you can season your pork to taste like beef.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've never played a guitar that sounded like a Strat that wasn't a Strat.

I have played a few Strats that don't sound like Strats, which kinda sucks IMO. I mean, what's the point?

ultrasun and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  8. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Meister

You could (if you were into light modding) alter the out-of-phase circuit by installing a 0.005uF capacitor which is in series with one or the other of the pickups when that circuit is engaged.

Half-out-of-phase Tele sounds are not exactly like but are reminiscient of positions 2 and 4 on a Strat.

There are many different "half out of phase/HOoP" sound demos out there, one decent one is at 8:43 here:

Edited: 8:43 not 5:23. It was 523 SECONDS in.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I guess I have a different take on this. I can't make my Telecaster sound like either of my Strats. I can't make one Strat sound like the other. None of them sound like my Gretsch or my SG. BUT... I can get sounds I like from all of them for anything I can play. The biggest problem for me is that reach for the upper frets is limited on my Gretsch because of my arthritis and the semi-wide body. I just change the solo eliminating notes I can't reach for ones I can. The only reason I can see to be concerned at all about whether a Baja can emulate a Strat or not is if you're playing in a tribute band. And my take on that is, if you're getting the solos and rhythm parts right, you'll sound close enough that no one except for someone with untreated OCD will notice the difference, or care. Love your Baja for what it is and don't fret about what it isn't.

Greggorios, frednic, Mad Kiwi and 2 others like this.
  10. bluesholyman

Uhm, the "Impossible" burger would like a word with you...oh wait, theres no meat there at all...never mind....

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Crawldaddy likes this.
  11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'd be prepared to bet that a lot of people who are a lot less geeky that we are wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Personally I'll take the Baja's S1 sounds over strat quack all day long.

And I never understood the need to rip out the wiring and replace it with the standard set-up. All that stuff about Bajas being noisy is phooey.

The only sound on the Baja I don't like is the fat 4-way sound. It's like someone put something in a Fender guitar that doesn't belong there.

Go on, be outraged and appalled, I dares ya . . .

ricardo1912 and JKPickin like this.
  12. bluesholyman

I actually enjoy this sound quite a bit - while its not exactly a humbucker, it gets close to it, at least for pushing certain pedals that like humbuckers better than single coils.

Mad Kiwi and hemingway like this.
  13. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

One of the things I like about the Baja/Vintera Modified Teles is the ability to cover a lot of different sounds without needing to bring a second guitar. I only gigged with my Vintera once pre-Covid but it was useful to get a quasi-Strat sound for a couple of songs during that set. I can imagine the 'fat'/series sound would be good at future gigs for thicker tones instead of bringing along a separate humbucker/P-90 loaded guitar. As has been mentioned above, probably only the geeky/OCD-ish amongst us would notice the slightly-less-than-subtle differences.

14. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Baja for a while, great guitar but IMO it could not get anywhere close to that "Strat Quack" sound.

I have a partscaster with some Budz Danos (staggered bridge poles) that does a convincing strat sound. My other 2 Teles (flat bridge poles) cannot get close to that strat ound at all. My Baja was also a flat pole, if I recall. That may have something to do with it...?

YMMV

15. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

2 things i know of that will cause a tele to sound more start like. Hotter bridge pickup because that will soften the attach which is what separates teles from starts in part at least. And a rosewood board which also softens the attack. Thats what I hear as the difference at least. Strats have a more compressed attack while teles snap hard on the attack. Hotter pickups and rosewood boards tame that to a degree. Also stock with alnico 5 and tray and stay over 8k on the bridge. Neck pickups i'm not as sure about what to do there, as i have tried pickups that are supposed to sound like a strat neck and don't to me. I even put a strat pickup in a tele neck once and it still sounded like a tele. The tele bridge vs a strat trem is what u r fighting when you try and make one sound like the other.

bluesholyman likes this.
  16. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I find that the TT neck pu sounds kind of right in the middle ground between strat and tele. And the out-of-phase may not be the perfect 2&4 quack, but it's adequate enough - and a push on the button is quicker than a guitar change at a gig...

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

No.

tery, Greggorios and bluesholyman like this.
  18. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

Any tele neck can get Hendrixy, and the middle position is suitable for funk. 2 and 4 positions, you’re screwed though.

Odyssey2001 and bluesholyman like this.
  19. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nope.
    For the simple reason that positions 2 and 4 in a strat are NOT out of phase and do not SOUND out of phase either.
    Still the oop middle position in a Tele is killer for "hollow" funk rhythms.

Blues Twanger likes this.
  20. losador

losador TDPRI Member

It does sound kind of Stratty in one way to me.. folk above have discussed out of phase and in between positions, but for me with the Tele Baja when it can sound Strat like is on the Twisted Tele pickup in the neck. Doesn't sound exactly like a Strat, but there is a bit of commonality and a Strat leaning there. I love that pickup btw!

Crawldaddy and bluesholyman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.