Can someone with a Biyang DS-8 RAT clone tell me the width and length?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fender4life, Oct 23, 2021.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

It's the chrome one not the MXR aluminum DS10 just to be clear. I think my board s going to be a bit too small to accommodate it so i wanna make a new one b4 it arrives if it's going to be too big.

2. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

See this ...
    http://en.biyang.com.cn/product-details/ds-8

In case that won't work for you c. 130mm x 95mm with a height max. of 65mm .... they're big and dominate a pedal board!
    Years ago when they were branded as Akai I tried their Compressor clone .... they are built like tanks!

Dr Improbable likes this.
  3. fender4life

Actually that page shows a bit different dimension than u said, but close. Seems to be about 5" by 3.75". Gonna have to make a new board but i have since changed my mind and will wait till it arrives before i do to make sure i like it enough to put on the board. Anyways thanks.

4. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Yeah Yeah ... I know .... hence the c. .... (Circa/approx.) ;)

5. fender4life

Got it today and It'll fit but gonna make a new board for it because it'll just be too tight a fit. Sounds great tho. One of the few distortions i like into a clean amp, tho i will mainly use it 50/50 distortion from pedal and amp.

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just curious,
    Why not the little Biyang guy?
    20211008_103305.jpg

I just got mine last week*, and it sounds pretty much like the GFS Brownie Classic I owned a few years back ( and sold, just as it was too big and heavy- but a real tank).

* just for kicks/curiosity, I bought both the Biyang Max Distortion AND the MXR '78 B.A. Distortion as I wanted to try out a few real distortions, to pair up with my fave OD's- for occasional use/need for real distortion.

I'm hoping to try out each at this weekend's gigs ( I can't really demo in apt.)

7. fender4life

2 reasons....there could be circuit differences given the switch label differences and different board and i wanted to make sure it was gonna sound like the original RAT circuit. And because i just love the chrome look and the chicken heads that make it easy at a glance to see where it's set. I'm not a big pedal user so i won't be needing more room after this.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Got it, thanks!

I could be remembering wrongly,
    but I'm thinking the settings on the 3-way toggle switch on my new little guy, are the exact opposite ( 'upside down') from the Brownie- but still same sounds.

On my new pedal, the 'down' position is the most compressed/thickest or fuzziest ( I like it!) - it is the quietest ( by comparison) of the 3 positions- I think this is 'vintage' or 'original' Rat setting
    Also, just as with my old Brownie, the Tone control sounds best when kept lower, at lower Gain settings

Powerful little pedal, intense!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.