1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can someone verify my new CV Telecaster serial?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by NikolaosMars, Mar 6, 2021.

1. NikolaosMars

NikolaosMars NEW MEMBER!

Hello!
    I recently purchased a second hand Squire CV 50s Tele in Butterscotch blonde and I am in loooove!! I have been playing a Martin Acoustic with 13s for 6 years so the tele feels like a wet dream.
    I have been researching the history of the factories sprouting the CV beauties and I am a bit perplexed by the serial number on mine.
    I have not been able to find an answer so far and the Fender site is not helpful.
    My Tele's serial number is CGRK19000747 and it says Crafted in China, the first owner indeed had it for one year before selling it to me and I have no reason to belive there is any fowl play at hand.

I just got it set up with 10s and the guitar is freaking amazing.
    My guitar tech who hates tele bridge pickups loved this one. Indeed he had a Mexican made tele in the house and the bridge pickup sounded unevenly quacky to the other positions.
    I have been enamoured with playing middle position with the tone rolled off. Its such a unique and expressive sound!

Anyway, if anybody has any info that would be helpful!

2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It appears to be a new series CV made in China by the Grand Reward factory. Some have speculated that the K is the month, which would mean November of 2019. I've seen several of the new CVs with CGRK serial numbers on the Sweetwater site, which is one of the biggest online retailers here in the US. The previous line of CV guitars made in China had CGS serial numbers, with the C meaning China, the G meaning Grand Reward, and the S meaning Squier. The current CV guitars can be made in China by Grand Reward (the CGR), and also in Indonesia by Cort (ICS) or Samick (ISS). Looking on the SW site, I see that they are now using the letter for the month on the Indonesian ones too, with serial numbers starting with ICSJ, ICSK, ICSL, ISSK, and ISSL, which would mean October, November, and December.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    jfgesquire likes this.
  3. NikolaosMars

NikolaosMars NEW MEMBER!

Wow thank you for the thorough answer!
    I reached out to Fender and their reply was that since it is not an American made instrument they do not have any records for it. I feel a bit underwhelmed by the customer support on the Squier models. Why would they disregards the whole brand?
    Anyways, thanks again for the answer :D
    Cheers from Greece!

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Fender's USA customer service must be better than that in Europe, because I've always registered my Squier guitars on their website here. I input the serial number and it identifies not only the model but also the color. I haven't had it fail yet with any Squier I've bought, no matter how cheap it is, even their entry level Bullet and Affinity models.

bls82261 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.