1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can someone tell me if this is a basswood body or....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RelicStrat, Mar 24, 2006.

1. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

S/N N0XXXXX, MIJ made in 1991. Anyone tell me if this is basswood or alder? Help appreciated.

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

If it was a Fender Japan imported for USA sales its basswood more than likely.

Basswood is generally a little lighter in weight than Alder and is a softer wood. If you can remove the neck its easier to tell. Basswood is pale in color where as alder is a more brownish reddish hue.

3. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

thanks for the info Mark. It's an ebay guitar so I can't pull the neck off. :)

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

If you wanna email me the item number I can take a look at it and maybe make a better guess.

My 92 model Strat 57ri made in Japan for USA sales was Basswood. That was the spec Fender USA had Fender Japan make them. Whats hard to tell is if it was a made in Japan for Japan use or MIJ for USA use. If it was a MIJ model for Japan use it could be Alder Basswood Sen.

If its a Sunburst model its easier to tell.

5. timgreene

timgreene Tele-Afflicted

Basswood makes a great strat. I have a 54 MIJ reissue, with basswood body that I would put up against any other strat.

6. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

It was a Buy It Now and someone beat me to it so it's all moot now anyways. Thanks for all your help though Mark.

7. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

I agree Tim, basswood is great tone wood. I have an MIJ '62 RI Tele that is basswood and it is great. The reason for my question mainly was because the ebay seller had such crappy pics (couldn't see the bridge well, and didn't show the front of the headstock well) that I was trying to find out whether the quitar was some very low end MIJ or a decent one, and the seller was not too helpful in answering my questions, as in "I don't know anything about guitars". Thanks guys!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.