Can someone please explain to me what just went on here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EsquireOK, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I don't see where the seller got out of line at all. It's his prerogative to not want to haggle over messages: put in an offer or not. He can accept or not. Questions about the item are fine, but to a point. 'sell me on this over the one at Guitar Center' seems a little much to ask over reverb messenger.

Getting offended that the guy didn't want to deal with you anymore seems like the wrong response if you DO decide to haggle, since you always run the risk of ruining the sale or offending the seller.

Mike Eskimo and Bassman8 like this.
  2. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I can see both sides..

FWIW, I just terminated a home purchase agreement (under contract, following final inspection), in less paragraphs than the OP’s Reverb exchange. Sometimes you just need to take the emotions out of the transaction and move on.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

This is the disconnect. Your response was one last challenge to him about his price. It wasn't backing away "nicely." If you were truly done with the negotiations, you had no reason to mention the recent Reverb sales. Your response was more about winning the discussion than a polite exit. You will claim that you were being nice, but anyone on the receiving end of that message would take it as one more argumentative point.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, as soon as someone starts using other ebay/reverb/craigslist/guitar center/etc rationalizations for getting me to change my price whether I'm the buyer or seller, I'm generally out.

Deeve, Wildcard_35 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  5. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Usually if the price is fair I don't try to deal. I kind of like having local music stores and if it means paying a dollar more for a set of strings or paying MAP vs using a coupon at GC I'm fine with that.

Back in the day when a lot of the stores around me sold guitars at MSRP haggling was standard. These days the internet has kind of leveled prices off. If something I see is way too high I would rather just not buy it than get into a pissing match with someone who isn't goig to drop the price to where I want it. YMMV.

For me, it's more important to have stores that aren't 80/20 vs saving a few bucks. I've also found that certain types of buyers either end up walking away of demand partial refunds, etc... when they receive their "as described" instrument. Not worth the hassle.

8barlouie and Rev Rhythm like this.
  6. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would have quit responding to you much sooner!!

8barlouie, Bones, drf64 and 4 others like this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The same rules don't apply. You'd think they do, but you're mistaken. On the internet you're nameless & faceless. The customer isn't right. We can do whatever we damn well please because we're anonymous. In the real world you stand face to face &, hopefully, discuss/negotiate things civilly. This was an attempted sale/purchase on the internet, so that's what the OP got. I'd have picked up on the sellers signals at his first response & left that conversation. The OP chose to try to negotiate & kept getting shot down by an equally stubborn seller. Stalemate.

Also, I've noticed in the States we're offended by buyers trying to negotiate on purchases. Living in a tourist trap I'm accustomed to it, but I hear others complain or are offended. People are different. No use beating yourself up over things like this. The sooner you accept that the sooner you can move on.

thegeezer likes this.
  8. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Can someone please explain to me just what went on here?

DonM, Wildcard_35, puddin and 2 others like this.
  9. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Crazy to buy something as personal as a guitar online anyhow.

10. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

LMAO:lol: Some just don't get it!!

flathd likes this.
  11. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

This whole exchange was over an item where the seller did not have a Make Offer button? Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Reverb isn't Craiglist or some flea market or bazaar. If there's no Make Offer button, it means the seller isn't taking offers. Period. You don't get to determine otherwise. The seller was being kind to respond to you in the first place. I would have ignored you, and if you had gone ahead and bought it anyway, I would have cancelled the sale.

Also, you don't get to determine what is or isn't fair market value. Not your call. If it's more than you think it's worth, walk away.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That might be your rule but it is not universal.

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Actually, the thing that determines the value is the final sale. I just sold a guitar for $500. I thought it was worth more, and originally listed it for $600. No-one was interested in the guitar at that price. I had one guy offer me $400, but I wasn't willing to sell it for that. A month later, he came and looked at it, and we agreed on $500. So, the market value of that one guitar was clearly $500.

8barlouie and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  14. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

DonM and Mad Kiwi like this.
  15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think that it's probably OK to ask a seller one time if they might be willing to consider coming down on price, even if they don't have a "make offer" button.

The seller even went so far to see if he could give you a little bit of a break on the shipping, but concluded he couldn't.

After that, end of story. Sharing comps would make total sense if he were officially accepting offers, but in theory he wasn't.

I do agree that he got unnecessarily huffy.

OTOH, I've been on the other side as a seller where I've gotten a million questions from a buyer, which I answered very patiently, and then accepted a
    small drop in price. Then I sent the guy the guitar and there was one tiny thing he was upset about and so I had him send it back to me for a full refund.
    I ended up losing money on one way of the shipping costs, but rather than fight it I decided to accept it in order to avoid having my EBay seller rating go
    down from perfect.

You have a couple of experiences like that and you start to get very leery about any buyer that asks lots of questions.

It is also true that a seller should understand the hard realities of the market. A guitar is worth what it is worth. If you overpaid for it when you bought it, you're probably not
    going to make your money back when you sell it. You have to take your losses just as you take your gains. And the shipping/handling/fees will often kill any real profits
    you might have stood to make.

studio1087 likes this.
  16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dude's got a busy social life. He doesn't really have time to sell on Reverb:

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I don't think you did anything horribly offensive but this guy was obviously sticking to his price.

After one attempt or one olive branch of trying to open a dialogue I would have moved on.

He sounds absolutely sure of himself and your messages probably bothered his ego (like you knew his business better than he did).

I've dealt with potential buyers who hit me again and again with challenges or their contrary opinions and we've gone back and forth several times unyil I block them. The risk of selling a guitar to someone who could nitpick me to pieces outweighs the money that I could make on the deal. I don't need the stress.

I sold a Peavey T15 to a woman from Chicago after she asked 8 really intense questions and she beat me up on shipping. She returned the 35 year old T15 saying that it was not "showroom - new - perfect" and she was completely unsatisfied. I had to cover the shipping there and back. The thing was 35 years old and it was a 9 out of 10 (as described). Dealing with one such buyer can really make you worried as you deal with other buyers. Maybe you were dealing with a guy who has been through the ringer a few times. In any event it doesn't look like it was ever going to happen.

Let it go. You're ok. Just let it go. I'd buy one from GC. You can always return it with no stress. You cannot lose trying Guitar Center. I hope you find a really good one.

:)

18. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I don't think the OP did anything wrong necessarily, but I can identify with the seller. Once I set a price and exchange offers, I'm not necessarily in the mood to be told how/why my price is too high. I've had people go out of their way on CL/Ebay just to let me know that I'm asking too much. Ultimately that's my problem; if it's priced too high, it won't sell, and I have myself to blame.

2 Headed Goat and Mike Eskimo like this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Reverb = don’t include “make offer” if you’re firm on the price.

CL = I write FIRM after my price if I do t want every hilljack in 5 counties offering $50 for it. I also write “No Trades” 3X underneath because I don’t want left over GC trash for my item - I want money.

It really doesn’t hurt to take a shot - not insultingly but close to the price.

Sellers and Buyers : Sign in and look at actual completed sales. I check Reverb and Ebag/Fleabag . Then we’re all on the same/sane playing field...

20. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

After anyone says this, I always want to ask if I can bang their wife. But I hold it back.

Hammerhead and Nightclub Dwight like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.