Can someone please explain to me what just went on here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EsquireOK, Apr 29, 2019.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

When looking for music gear, new OR used, Reverb is my "go to" site. I can usually find what I want, AND Chicago Music Exchange does a great job overseeing the operation, and providing helpful feedback, when asked.

Lot's of good feedback on this one!

IMHO, the OP took this way too far, creating an issue when there was NO issue.

A Reverb Seller puts a "Make an Offer" button in his ad when he's willing to accept less than his posted price. If there's no button, then there's no negotiation. Period.

In a quid pro quo transaction, as this one was, you either accept or reject the stated terms. Period.

If you don't like the terms, then move on. No harm. No foul.

Don't sweat the small stuff... and it's all small stuff! ;)

2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Yup! I have refused to sell to people like the OP. Too much work...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    cnlbb, Bones and kodiakblair like this.
  3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

This was the point where you became annoying to the seller. You had already asked twice if he could lower his price. He twice said no. Then you sent him this message, which basically says that he is wrong to be sticking to his price. You could have ended it by not responding to his previous message, but you decided to have the "last word." You needed to take a parting shot.

A polite exit would have been something like, "Thanks for your time."

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  4. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dang, that's a lot of 'splainin' you do. The seller may have dodged a lot of headaches.

kodiakblair and Dave W like this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Your “Excuse me” reply was one reply too many.

But as I’ve read only the 1st page of this thread , I’ve no doubt others have pointed this out.

Good day to you sir and I wish no more response from you !

kelnet likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ok , yeah, I just saw post #21. Whoa...

:eek::eek::eek:

Ok...(backing away slowly but not turning my back)...I’m gonna get out of here now but you have a good day , ok ?

:eek::eek::eek:

(Now running, but looking back over my shoulder as I gain speed ...)

DonM, Piggy Stu, Flat6Driver and 3 others like this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

The OP is probably wishing at this point he had just paid the asking price and moved on.

Bones, Flat6Driver and Rustbucket like this.
  9. Whatizitman

Just another "I'm feeling a bit unsettled after this. I'm gonna take it to the internets to see if anyone will validate my experience" thread. I've been guilty of it many times. Some of us learn the hard way.

kodiakblair likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yah.. OP needed to stop responding a few messages earlier than he did. You shouldn't have felt like you needed the last word. Both of you seem to have felt the need to go out on top with the last word and it went downhill.

Go find one at Guitar Center though.. especially if you can walk in the store and play them & walk out with a warranty. No contest at all there! You'd save $200, that will buy a lot of setup if you need it. Even if you needed fretwork or something and the work you put in came out to more than $200 you'd still have a new instrument with a warranty.

Does Gibson actually have something where certain mom and pop dealers get the "good ones" and the big box stores get the leftovers? Somehow I doubt it!

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Why not just buy from GC?

And why care if he didn’t sell at higher than NEW prices? When you could buy and try at lower prices with a return policy?

Who cares if someone doesn’t sell?

Very confused.

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Very interesting how far from the way I do business and what was in my head some of these posts conclude about me.

I made two offers. I backed away nicely. When someone had a fit, I tried to explain to him that there must have been a misunderstanding. The whole time, my responses were rather brief. That's basically it.

I have never once returned an instrument to a private seller, or complained about one thing (or even had a conversation beyond, "It arrived; thank you") once it arrived.

I understand full well that you don't always come to an agreement, and you move on to the next guitar. I am not hung up on this guitar. I'm bothered by him "snapping" when I don't feel that I did anything out of the ordinary for an expensive business transaction on the used market, and that I was unreasonably polite the whole time.

I am not looking for "validation." I am genuinely curious what you all might think I did wrong, and just interested in chatting about the experience with the fellow hobbyists with whom I B.S. I see the answers, and that's what I was curious in hearing.

I'm "butt hurt" about not getting the guitar, eh? Er, no. I'm pissed off to treat someone respectfully, and IMO "normally," and then get weirdness in response.

"High maintenance." That's a new one. Ha ha ha ha.

I don't need this guitar. I'm not hung up on it. I own probably 40 guitars and basses, and have been buying used guitars for almost 30 years. I just don't like people getting crummy with me when I have tried to be unreasonably nice with them. I was quite honestly taken aback. And this is where I come to B.S. about guitars, so where else would I talk about it?

Interesting, the range of responses. Says a lot about the range of folks we have here.

Carry on. Nobody get too upset. I'm not.

abrianb likes this.
  13. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

You have a lot of "sellers" here that are more than happy to get plowed by fees and shipping. Makes sense that they'd side with other sellers.

14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I feel for the OP. I am also an over sharer. I don't sent notes, I send novels. I give way too much information that it can be over whelming for some people.

It is just a communication difference in the two individuals.
    I would guess that the OP is a relationship type slow decision making person (as I am). I like to think things out, I am not too spur of the moment. And I like to evaluate my options as well as get a sense of what I am buying and want both the seller and the buyer to have a great feeling walking away.
    The seller on the other hand is probably more like my wife, a fast to act and no nonsense person. She has something to sell, she puts a price on it and that's it. Do you want it or not?

I had a similar CL transaction on a car I was selling.
    I had it listed for $2K on the local CL which was a fair price for the car (1991 Miata recently overhauled).
    The first two days I had a flurry of asks if I would take a grand for it. "No thanks" I replied. And then I got a guy who asked if I would sell it for $1500. I gave him a long history report on the car and the reasons it was worth $2K. I then told him I would come down to $1800 if he brought cash. No answer back so the listing stayed up.
    A week later I had a guy come over and want to look at it. He walked around and then asked me what I had to have for it. I told him I had already offered it to a guy for $1800 so I would extend that to him. He fishes 18 hundreds out of his pocket and then tells me he had two extra just in case.
    I gave him the keys and the title and he drove it home.

The next day the other guy calls and wants to talk about the car. I told him it sold and he belittles me and tells me we had a deal. That he needed a week to get the cash together. He tells me that he has 1800 sitting on his table ready to buy the car. I told him that he did not tell me he was getting the cash together, and that we did not have a deal as I told him the lowest I would go was 1800. He then insulted me and then place a CL ad telling everyone I was a bad seller (I have only sold two cars on CL over the last ten years) as that was going to hurt my business.
    In the end I was glad that I did not sell to the original guy. There would have been something he would have come back on me for.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you can get the same guitar at Guitar Center for less money. Goodbye see you later. I would not take the sellers attitude.

abrianb and tery like this.
  16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes it's just easier to make your offer (properly) and go away if it doesn't work.

But I think he needs to come up to speed on shipping. I recently shipped a guitar with case sold on Reverb and if you use their shipping service it's much cheaper. I shipped WA state to Virginia, big box for $48 via Reverb. I have a Fedex account and their quote was $71!

bender66 likes this.
  17. Whatizitman

That's just it. It goes both ways. As the OP is the one sharing the experience here, and asking for input, that's what happening. While he may not be in the wrong, it is clear that he feels the need to "clear the air", many times over. I'm also a sharer, so I get what you mean. But this is not the same, IMO. I could respond directly to #52, but frankly, it ain't worth it. OP has made his point, so much that he in fact lessens his position, not strengthens. The horse is already dead. Beating it any more just makes more of a mess. That's my take on it.

OP asked TDPRI what went on in his transaction, and he didn't like the answers he got.

Your example is of a crazy and rude buyer. We've all dealt with them. And many of us have been them, although I'm willing to bet most would only see it in others, and not themselves. From the viewpoint of a seller, it only takes a few red flags to want to head off this happening. In defense of OP, however, this particular seller is not very good at that. Both should have seen the signs earlier. The fact that the OP is even here bringing this up is NOT a good indication he was entirely appropriate, and the seller is the only guilty party. These type of threads are rarely ever that case. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

18. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I've done the same thing. Told people that I didn't want to sell to them based on my gut feeling or because they offer me something I don't find acceptable and keep emailing over and over.

If you don't want to pay his price buy one of the cheaper ones listed.

Not that hard.

19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Is it still for sale ?

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  20. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I think you're reading too much into my thoughts on this. There was a lot of back and forth and "so and so sells it for less" and on and on. Coupled with 5 or so long posts. I'm sure Esquire is a nice guy, but that's a bit much for a missed deal.

I wonder if the seller is out on another page debating this still?

Wildcard_35 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.