Can someone please explain to me what just went on here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EsquireOK, Apr 29, 2019.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Really, I'm genuinely curious what the hell is up with this recent Reverb.com exchange. Did I say something offensive? Despite his weirdness and pushiness throughout, I remained calm and polite, as far as I could tell. I was really interested in this guitar, so I was trying to keep things cool, regardless of the fact that he was obviously a freak. FWIW, asking price is $1,350 + $80 shipping.

Me:

Hello, Mr. Emery.

Can you please tell me if the binding on this guitar is actually white, like it looks like in the pictures? or is it the typical cream color that Gibson uses?

Thanks,

Keith

Him:

It is white, on all in Player Plus line.

Me:

Thanks for your quick response.

Keith

Seven days later, after some shopping for similar models:

Me:

Hello, Mr. Emery.

I notice that Guitar Center is selling these for $1,200 with the flame top, new with warranty, and free shipping. Is there any way you could come down to their price?

Thanks,

Keith

Him:

No, sorry. & you will be sorry if you get one of those leftovers too. I've tried two of them & they are the scurge of what's left of them & b stock, return & picked over gear no one wanted. & you get what they give you. I would stay away, personally. But I'm not going to sway your opinion either way, because that's not how I do business. Just beware of other people's experience with those, that's all. I'm sure I mentioned that in my ad. Check out my feedback before you buy theirs or whomever's. I am a straight up Christian musician & don't have to sell to put bread on my table, just a guy with a gear problem... selling& buying gear that I like, not pushing the leftover crap no one else wants. I hope that helps you out. I don't have to push my own gear, it pretty much sells itself...
    If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Good luck with your decision, I know it's a tough one...

Me:

Well, I like the fact that it is not figured on top, and the price is at least some semblance of in the ballpark. I wish the shipping was not $80, though. I'd be willing to bite for $1350 shipped.

Him:

I'm sorry I can't lose money on it. What is your zip code ? It will be 20 Lbs. Or more shipped, with box & packaging. Plus I use FedEx exclusively because of my track record with them. They are the best for handling instruments...
    Send me your shipping information & I will do some math and see what I can do. If you are closer to me, I may be able to reduce the shipping...
    It doesn't have to be the exact location, City, State and zip. I will do my best to accommodate you.

Eight hours later (I had been at work all day, so I had not replied to the above):

Him:

If you would like a shipping quote, I will need, at least your zip code. your profile doesn't have it listed. I am trying to work with you to try to put a deal together. but I can't ship for free sorry, or lose money. I hope you can understand that. the price listed is as low as I can go & I have to charge for shipping. I am obviously not a big chain store that offers free shipping with purchase. If you are no longer interested just let me know & I will not worry about a quote. & I wish you good luck with your purchase from guitar center...

Me:

Hello,

My zip is [my zip].

Keith

Him:

I'm sorry, I can't help you on the shipping. Since you live on the extreme west coast shipping will cost more than $80 for me @ $94.13, with my discount to the penny ! & that is without an exact address. So I am sorry, but I am guessing that we can't do business, as $80 was too much. Plus I have a clause in my shop rules that states that I adjust shipping up or down, depending on the buyers address. I am sorry but I can not sell & ship gear for less than it's worth & lose money. I wish you good luck in your search... But please beware of the big chain store issue I spoke about earlier. You will be wasting time & money on the leftovers, I did it twice & it took almost a month, all totaled to finally get my money back. You will have better luck finding something on reverb. That you can at least see & read about the seller & their performance before you buy. The Player Plus line is a great guitar all around & very under rated. And sure to increase in value of the years. I really hope you find one that you like, with a price that you can live with. They are great ol' school Gibson !

Regards

Me:

Hello,

It's more the recent sales that I'm looking at than anything. $1,200 is the average in mint condition, based on three sales on Reverb within the last few days. So, you selling it for that is definitely not you selling it for less than it is worth.

I'll be thinking about it, but for now I'm going to take a break and focus on other things. Thank you for all your help, and I truly wish you good luck with the sale.

Keith

Him:

I am just going to pass on this transaction. I'm not concerned about what "everyone else" is doing. As I said before good luck with your search. The Condescending attitude is more than noted.

("You can't fire me; I quit!)

Me:

Excuse me, but you seem to be reading something that is not there. There was no condescension from me. Please re-read what I wrote.

Keith

Him:

You're excused, no need for any more contact with me I will not be reading anything else from you ! I will not be selling to you... If I see an order with your name on it, I will cancel the sale ! Have a great time searching for your perfect deal. I hope you end up with something from guitar center. You surely deserve it. It was pure joy dealing with you.

--------------------------

All I see here is a disagreement on price, with my personal valuation coming from recent (as in literally within the past two days) Reverb sales, and an "I'm-softly-backing-out-the-door" and genuine wish of good luck statement from me. On top of that, even though I knew I was dealing with a freak, I agreed to pay over the going average, just because I liked that it was a plain top, and appreciated that it wasn't Guitar Center. How the hell did it get so rude, personal, and sarcastic here? I just stated the fact of the very recent going average on Reverb, and politely said no thanks. That seemed to really set this "Christian" off down the path to Hell!

Man, people are freaks.

Really want that guitar, though!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like nothing happened.

3. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Not worth losing sleep over. People can't read tones in text on the internet, and he's probably an angry person in general.

Plus, you should buy a Tele. :)

Milspec, Teleguy61, Skamania and 5 others like this.
  4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Ain't that the truth!

dogmeat likes this.
  5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

You were looking for a good deal, he was looking for a Mark.

stnmtthw, Doctorx33, drf64 and 3 others like this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Do you want an honest answer? You're the kind of prospective buyer I won't do business with.

If he has a Make Offer button, you make your offer. He accepts, rejects, or counters, and you decide based on what he does. There's no need for any further discussion, trying to convince him he's too high, etc. If he doesn't have a Make Offer button, you pass if it's too high for you. End of story.

No, he didn't need to go on at length about why his is better and about shipping cost, but he isn't the one being a pain in the arse.

7. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

I think he actually did you a favor. Dodged a bullet on that one.

JayFreddy, PeterUK, bloomz and 5 others like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think you might have been dealing with the guitar N*zi.
    No guitar for you.

[​IMG]

9. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Any time I get an answer that long-winded, the red flags go up. I don't want a new long-distance relationship or need a pen pal, so I just ghost 'em. No contact whatsoever. I know, it's difficult, but at some point one has to let go. He's just not that into you. It was fun while it lasted, and you'll always have Paris, er, I mean, Reverb.com.

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

What are you doing with that transaction and then coming on here?

On Reverb, people either accept offers or they don't. If they take offers, you make an offer after asking any questions about the item. They can accept, reject, or counter your offer. If they don't accept offers, wtf are you doing wasting this guy's time?

Make an offer if you want something (and the seller takes offers). If the seller doesn't take offers, meet his asking price or go to Ebay.

11. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Well, this is my take on it... you asked him twice to lower his price, first on the guitar and then on the shipping. He spent some time sussing out the shipping rate to your area, then said he couldn't swing it (as he didn't want to lose $ on what he had invested in the guitar) and wished you good luck on your search...

Then you tried to push it further by mentioning the recent sales on Reverb (which really IMO is neither here nor there).... and that pissed him off. He doesn't seem like a freak to me, he probably is just tired of all the tyre kickers and folks only willing to pay exactly "what its worth".

12. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Bad chemistry.

If you did buy it, something terrible probably would have happened.

Headache avoided.

That's how I'd look at it.

JayFreddy, bloomz, Jwalker99 and 2 others like this.
  13. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

A simple difference of opinion...

bloomz, nojazzhere and MilwMark like this.
  14. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

sorry, I don't see that he really did anything wrong. he has a price and you don't like it, oh well... it's still his. maybe he'll sit on it for years waiting to sell

bloomz, nojazzhere, dan1952 and 2 others like this.
  15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would not worry about it , it's only a guitar, and you will find more of what you are looking for maybe closer to home, ( he sounded slippery to me from these conversations)

bloomz likes this.
  16. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have to say I too don't think he did anything wrong. You made an offer and he said no and later told you he doesn't care what everyone else is doing and you still want to needle him. He's just one of those guys that's not flexible. Man, I can't believe you took the time and effort to type all of that dialogue out.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  17. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

Man, I’ve bought a lot of guitars, no transaction ever involved more than me simply buying it, or not.
    I don’t know why all this torture happens to people.
    Never will get that I suppose.

BrandonIke, Solrac Kai, DonM and 4 others like this.
  18. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

as a seller my take would be this. (no comment on the dealer in the OP's exchange)

TIRE KICKER

you'd wear me out. I would be inclined not sell based on that exchange. too much work with the good possibility there'd be extra hand holding after the sale.

proper etiquette? make an offer. that means you're a buyer. it's either acceptable or not. if not, move on.

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Plenty of negotiations go off the rails at all levels. He must have had a number in mind he needed to make to not lose money and he simply could not accommodate. He did try with the shipping and he must have felt he was being asked to jump through more hoops.

All you can do is move on and chalk it down to experience. Don’t hold any grudges.

I’ve seen this happen almost exactly the same at work... virtual negotiation all by email that goes awry, when people are so much better with each other if they can meet or talk to each other first.

20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

For a guy that has gear that sells itself he's trying awfully hard to sell his gear.

And i've had people like you trying to persuade me that my gear needs to be priced better.

I wouldn't have lasted 2 emails with either of you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.