Can Someone Mod My Compressor?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JeradP, Feb 10, 2011.

1. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

First off, I want want to make sure it is alright to post this here rather than somewhere else. I'm asking someone to mod my cheap compressor to reduce the noise. I'd be willing to pay of course. Just let my know if it's not ok to do so here.

I have a Rogue Compressor I just recieved. It has a "ringy" noise to it, I guess is the way to describe it. I like the compression it has and the size is great. The volume (level) can't be turned up very high before it gets noisy. Too much noise. I know comps are noisy pedals. And I also know zilch about modding pedals myself. I know how to package them in a box, fill out a form, and have someone do it. I know, I've done it before... ;)

I told the place I bought it from, and they said to keep it and they'd refund my money. I was shocked. So I thought I could afford to get it modded now.

Would anyone/ could anyone help me and make the compressor less noisy? The sustain knob is irrelevant to me, it's only set to a level that doesn't reduce the volume really. I use the attack on full. It is a second compressor, I planned on using it with my Boss CS3 that I really like. If someone out there can give me a hand, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks :D

2. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

Here is a picture of the guts, if it matters at all

Attached Files:

3. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

Jerad, I have one of those too. I have found that sometimes its noisy, and other times it is not. I don't know if it is a matter of the guitar, amp, cable, power supply, wall outlet, pedal chain combo or what it is. I have several guitars and amps, so I'm thinking that might be part of my issue.

When it wants to be quiet, I'm quite happy with it, and since I only paid about $29, I'm not too concerned.

If I were you I would try different combination's of gear and cable set-up or you could have them send you a replacement or put the money towards a different brand.

4. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I have tried a lot of combinations and so far nothing works. Other than keeping the level very low of course. They refunded my money and said to keep it, which I was very surprised at. Because of that, I'd like to try to put that money towards making it better rather than get a new one

5. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

I think you're better off getting a new pedal. You'd have to get someone to agree to trace the circuit, troubleshoot, and be able to work with SMC (Surface Mount Components). Many of the components including the chips are much smaller and more fragile than traditional components and are machine soldered to the surface of the board traces, not through-hole which is normally preferred...so this makes it very tricky to work on. It basically becomes a "throw-away" item.

Basically, anybody with that level of skill and knowledge would probably have to charge you so much for their labour IF it can be fixed at all...that you would be better off getting a higher quality pedal in the first place.

I'm not a repair guy, but I've followed it enough to know that's what you're probably faced with. JMHO. I could be wrong.

6. Impulse

Impulse Tele-Meister

Get something better, JeradP.

7. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I figured that would be the case. I'll probably take it to a pawnshop and get what I can for it. Thanks

8. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I forgot I had a Digitech wal wart, so I tried that. And so I have 2 compressors on my board now... :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.