Can someone educate me on Ross Compressors?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Brad Miller, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Brad Miller

Brad Miller Tele-Afflicted

Please anyone, tell me what you know.

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

here's what little I know

It wasn't that long ago that you couldn't give away any Ross effects, then the word got out that Trey Anastasio of Phish was using one, all the sudden they were selling for big $$, and the prices have gone up quite a bit on the other Ross pedals.
    From what I've heard, most of the Ross effects were pretty much copies of the MXR effects.

I have owned 2 of the Ross compressors, they were pretty smooth but a bit noisy, they sounded pretty much like a vintage MXR Dynacomp to me.
    I sold both of the ones I owned for over $200, that was probably 3/4 years ago.
    A lot of pedal makers offer clones of the Ross compressor, Keeley, Analogman, and others.
    I liked the Barber Tone Press and the Guyatone compressor better than the Ross/Dynacomp compressors.

FWIW here's a link to a Ross clone on eBay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Barge-Concepts-...ryZ41414QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

What Guyatone compressor are we talking about?

4. marc sosnoff

marc sosnoff Tele-Holic

i havent ever heard or played a ross i have hear they were very smooth sounding but cheaply made and noisey i have a analogman
    compressor supposed to be a ross clone i love it its so transparent and smooth you can forget it on until you turn it off i find a lot of uses for it
    besides sustain i use it as a volume boost and to bring up other pedals
    that may get lost in a mix

5. Stjohn1299

Stjohn1299 Tele-Meister

If a ross compressor is anythig like a ross delay:

then it might be noisy. Way back nearly 20 years ago when I was in 6th grade I bought a new guitar and amp. The amp was a ross amp (crappy) and they threw in an older ross delay pedal they had. I was a double-sized pedal with a yellow casing. It sounded all right, but hummed like a hemi. I traded it in years later....probably could sell it for a mint if I had it now, hum and all...

They guyatone is a good compressor; it's the st-3 (I think)-little green one. I have it on my board, and it does a great job of giving me some compressed country tone. It has a blend switch that adds dry signal to its mix, so that's cool. It also leaves a small footprint on your board if space is an issue. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the in and outs are on the top, or front side of the pedal instead of the sides. That complicates things in trying to work your jumper cables in between pedals.

6. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

Guyatone ST-3

I have heard good things about the Guyatone Compressor, is it True Bypass????

7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

It's the ST2, and the link below does not mention it being true bypass, and I would infer that it is not. However, it is less noisy in my chain than the Barber TP or the Boss CS 2. I like that little green sucker considering that I bought it used in immaculate condition for $50 and does what it is supposed to do. I concur with the complaint about the jacks at the top. I have Ibanez AD99's like that too, and the ST2 may be a little worse because the box is so small and the jacks are so close together.

http://www.guyatone.com/St2.php#javascript

This box has been discussed in this forum on prior occasions, and you can pick up some interesting insight into it searching those older threads.

8. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

I had both Guyatone delays and I thought for Digital and so tiny it worked fantastic!!

9. Bopcat

Bopcat Tele-Meister

I have an Analog Man Ross Clone (CompRossor). It's a fantastic pedal. Very clean and quiet. With separate attack and sustain controls you can dial in just the right amount of compression. At lower settings it really is transparent.

10. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

11. Vol. Knob

Vol. Knob Tele-Holic

Trey Anastasio of Phish has one on his pedalboard that he's used since he was in high school (very early '80s). He insists it's the secret to his tone. He runs his hollowbody into a tube screamer, then into the Ross Compressor, and then into a '63 Fender Deluxe he's had seasoned to taste. Plus he runs a Bruno 4x12 off the Deluxe. It sounds like a recipe for disasterous feedback, but he has freakishly delicate technique. If you watch him play, he rolls his volume off whenever he stops playing, just muting the strings ain't enough.

12. uncletele

uncletele Tele-Meister

Brad,
    I've been using the Analogman Mini BicompRosser for four years; great transparent sound on the Ross side. Kinda dirty and funky on the Orange Squeezer side, but useful. I use 'em both at the same time for slide. No issues with Analogman stuff!

13. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

Absolutely agree. My favourite compressor, pound-for-pound, especially the Ross side. I prefer it to the Keeley for my set up although the difference is very subtle.

14. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

fwiw

I agree with all said here.....I use a Keeley.....BUT....if you are good at soldering go to buildyourownclone.com they have a knock off that is a perfect Keeley/Ross clone for $65 ...My son Clay built one and its undetectible from my real Keeley....

Bill Hullett

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

yup. love the byoc stuff. if you are creative you can build a ross and an mxr compressor and put a switch in so you have both...

16. Colin Johnston

Colin Johnston Tele-Holic

I plan to get the byoc compressor kit shortly - good to see the reccomendations! :)

This is interesting. I'm keen to try comp after overdrive and see what it's like.

17. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

I seem to recall that Robert Keeley recommends running his comp after OD.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.