Can Someone Detail the Baking Soda/Super Glue Nut Fix?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by e-merlin, Jan 4, 2009.

1. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

I've never done it. Do you mix the super glue and baking soda, then put it in the slot, or do you mix it in the slot? How much time do you have?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I've done it a couple of time on my templates when the router has run amok.( use two bearings on the shank and it won't as easily). I've packed in the baking soda and then added the superglue. The capillary action gets the glue to soak in where it needs to. It then gets filed down. It is a quite hard composite when you are done. I use the cheap superglue and it has never hardened instantly. You might want to have some accelerator handy if you want it done instantly.
    Marty

3. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

I done this on a few nut and found the best way is add superglue to the slot and then sprinkle the baking soda on top and then pack it in. It hardens almost instantly.be sure to protect the headstock and fingerboard with some masking tape just in case...

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Funny...I do it the other way.
    Put baking soda in the slot and add the glue.
    It seems to dry very quickly...I think the baking soda might be an accelerator.
    So quickly, in fact, that sometimes the glue hardens on top and doesn't wick all the way to the bottom (can you tell my nut-making experiences haven't been totally successful?!).
    So, if a slot is too deep, I only fill it about half way with baking soda.
    Don't forget the masking tape on headstock and fretboard.

5. e-merlin

Thanks guys!

6. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

This why I add the glue to the slot and then sprinkle in the baking soda.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I can dig it...but the baking soda also acts as sort of a support of solid material for the glue.
    If you sprinkle it on top, I can't imagine it distributing itself through the glue.
    I can see a liquid flowing through a powder better than vice versa.
    Hey...I sure have been wrong before!

8. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

I sprinkle and then pack right away.

9. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

+1

10. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

I remove the nut whenever possible and mask it thoroughly so only the slot is visible.
    I then use my helping hands soldering tool to hold it in place.
    I then pack the slot with however much baking soda is needed.
    I'll put a drop on watch it 'settle' in.
    If needed I use the super glue brush type to get it even.
    Lather.Rinse.Repeat if necessary.

11. jivetrain

jivetrain Tele-Holic

yes. i did this job once by sanding the top of the nut lightly to fill the slot rather than using baking soda, which may be a better idea if you have a bone nut. i then used some cyanoacrylate glue which is the type you should use as it's water thin viscosity lets it penetrate the powder easily. problem is that it penetrates so well that it also went right through the masking tape on my fretboard and bonded it hard as rock to the neck. i had a few days of panic until my debonder arrived and managed to get the stuff off my neck beautifully, but if i ever had to do this again i'd seriously consider removing the nut before applying the glue. it all depends on what you consider to be a bigger risk; the possibility of damaging the nut by removing it, or the possibility of having to scrape superglue off the neck with a debonder that may not be safe for your guitar's finish.

12. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

I just use superglue and accelerator. That's the way we did it at the factory I worked at so I've just stuck with that system.
    I put a bit of glue on the end of a wound string scrap...the end that's been snipped off when changing strings. I use the string to control the drops of super glue. If you just tip the tube of super glue it makes a mess so the string is a handy way to control it. I do the same with the accelerator.
    It's hard as hell when it's done...I don't see the use in the baking soda.

13. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Ditto. ;)

14. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

I use Corian dust. It's a synthetic marble used for counter tops and is extremely hard. I file a scrap of white Corian to make some dust and pack it in the slot. Then I put a small drop of super glue in the slot and let it wick into the Corian dust. Works like a charm. I did five nut slots on three guitars last weekend and all worked well.

15. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Often the nut has excess material between the slots, so if you file that down you have a nice supply of bone dust. Use the dust (dust first, glue on top) instead of baking soda and the filler comes out a little less granular. It's a "temporary" fix ;).

16. claudel

claudel Tele-Afflicted

I just did this yesterday

I sanded the top of the nut to get matching dust rather than using baking soda.

When I went to my friendly local Walgreens ( closest spot ) for superglue I noticed that they carried a new-to-me "gel" formula so I decided to try it.

I loosened all the strings enough to get them out of the way, sanded the top of the nut until enough dust went into the slot and then I used a sewing needle to dab a bit of the gel into the slot.

Then I used the point of the needle to scrape away the excess from where it shouldn't be before it dried.

I checked it out with a magnifying glass and decided to repeat the process one more time.

When the slot was filled I used one of my StewMac nut files to recreate the slot.
    For some reason, the file shattered into two pieces while doing this. I wasn't pressing hard or anything, it just broke. :eek:

Other than the trip to the store, it took less time to do the repair than it did to write this reply..

17. e-merlin

Thanks, guys. I've got all the goodies rounded up. I don't know if I want to take the nut off or not. I think I'll use a toothpick as a dropper so as not to make a bigger mess than I already did.

18. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Cyanoacrylate and super glue are the exact same stuff, and the label cyanoacrylate doesn't mean anything about its viscosity. It's sold in several viscosities, from super thin to super thick gel, and with drying times that range from near instant to several hours.

I once had a fix where the thin CA I used didn't completely penetrate the bone dust I packed into a slot, so now I pack the slot a little, put a drop of glue on it, then pack it the rest of the way and put another drop of glue on it.

19. hopdybob

hopdybob Friend of Leo's

this will sound like a stupid question but what is baking soda?
    maybe someone can give me a translation in dutch?
    maybe? someone? i hope :rolleyes:

20. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I can only relate what works for me ...

Bone dust in the bone nut's too low slot, do not pack the dust, level the top of the dust even with the nut's top, remove any dust from the sides, neck and fingerboard, use quality water thin CYA (Hot Stuff, Jet, Pacer, etc. - some hobby shop's have their own brand that's a relabel of a national brand, it's all good), open the top of the CYA, put in a pointy toothpick (or similar) and load with CYA, allow any really heavy drops to fall off, position the toothpick's tip over the dusted nut slot and allow ONE drop to fall on the dust. Immediately repeat again. Allow to harden. Do not use accelerator. Recut the nut slot using a round bottom nut file.

IF the slot is is quite deep (i.e. - bass string, or double depth treble string), do as eryque suggests and half fill with dust, then drop the CYA, the fill with dust and drop again.

In place of bone or Corian plastic dust, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate - NaHCO3) works well, too.

Baking soda = zuiveringszout

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.