Can playing guitar cause ganglion cysts in the fingers or wrist?

UPtele

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I dunno I got one on my fretting hand pointer finger. It was pretty big then I started playing more than I have in years and it shrunk

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
Had one show up 2 weeks ago on my wrist. It’s a hard little bump on my right wrist.
Didn’t notice it til a couple hours after I’d kinda jammed it closing my truck tailgate on a Saturday. Thought I’d broke something.
I’d been playing the Baker jazz lessons for a couple hours a day for a week and a half prior. All that week prior to Saturday I’d been cutting trees and pulling and stacking tops. It’s has a funny bone pain pain if it gets hit just right.
5E8FC738-C149-4160-951F-05D0D94AE726.jpeg

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
They can be caused by a good whack on a hard object, or they can occur spontaneously for no good reason. I doubt guitar playing would have caused two on opposite fingers (unless you are a switch-hitter). They will likely resolve in time if you don't mess with them.

Do you wear tight rings??

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I dont think so. I had one on a finger many years ago. It hurt every time I grabbed a hammer or lawnmower handle etc. I had it removed. The Doc did a great job, no scar at all, no scar tissue.

aefpv

TDPRI Member
In the past, they were called Bible cysts. Historically, the Bible was the biggest book a person would own. Therefore, the patient would whack or place pressure with the Bible to flatten out the cyst…..We don’t do that anymore and I would not recommend it.
They can be caused by a good whack on a hard object, or they can occur spontaneously for no good reason. I doubt guitar playing would have caused two on opposite fingers (unless you are a switch-hitter). They will likely resolve in time if you don't mess with them.

Do you wear tight rings?

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
They're like a blowout on a weak area of inner tube. I had one removed two years back and it hasn't returned. It looked like one of Barney or Fred's ears. The doc said they're random. Don't hit it with a phone book. That can just spread them.

Started interfering with chording. It was about 30 years old. And - other stuff........
IMG_20220116_083114.jpg

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Had one show up 2 weeks ago on my wrist. It’s a hard little bump on my right wrist.
Didn’t notice it til a couple hours after I’d kinda jammed it closing my truck tailgate on a Saturday. Thought I’d broke something.
I’d been playing the Baker jazz lessons for a couple hours a day for a week and a half prior. All that week prior to Saturday I’d been cutting trees and pulling and stacking tops. It’s has a funny bone pain pain if it gets hit just right. View attachment 940414
It may not be a ganglion cyst. With the help of Dr. Google, I diagnosed my own, and my hand surgeon said that it was some kind of swelling caused by inflammation, not a ganglion cyst. He shot it with steroids and it went away.

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
I saw that steroid injection can be 1 treatment type of ganglion cysts. Mines a smaller version of this picture off the web.Medplus P.A. thought it was pretty good chance that’s what it was.
I Doubt it was my strumming that brought it on anyway.
044F8130-6153-47DC-AB57-9ED9FCE0FF1D.jpeg

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
Mine is pretty much gone now and no pain when I push on it. Googled for this thread and it had been brought up before.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Ya, interesting. Probably not. I have a nice one on my picking wrist.
Could be from computer keyboards too.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Mine was I think from half kayak paddling and half playing.

It just isn't large enough to make me want to intervene. I'm more worried about the very end of the left middle finger, right by the nail - like there's a sliver of glass in there but looks fine.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
My wife had a ganglion cyst last year. She also had to have ligament repair on the same finger, which was the middle finger of her right hand. She doesn't play any musical instruments. I play keys and guitar and have never had a ganglion cyst.

She had her middle finger all wrapped up in a splint for a few weeks. She made sure not to wave at anyone. They would have been gravely offended.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Mine was I think from half kayak paddling and half playing.

It just isn't large enough to make me want to intervene. I'm more worried about the very end of the left middle finger, right by the nail - like there's a sliver of glass in there but looks fine.
Mine was I think from half kayak paddling and half playing....so..i guess the lesson here is..don't do anything halfway?;)