1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can I Use S/PDIF inputs on an 8 Channel Preamp that is connect via ADAT

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by AZTeleman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. AZTeleman

AZTeleman TDPRI Member

So, I use a smaller Interface that has ADAT expandability. Either a Audient iD14 or Focusrite Saffire Pro 24. Both have an ADAT inputs to add 8 preamp inputs. Nice so far. I am using a Focusrite Saffire Pro40's ADAT out into the interface. So I essentially have now 10 pre-amp channels I can record at once.

My Questions is: Can I use the Saffire Pro 40's S/PDIF inputs to add another 2 inputs? How will the first Interface (the Audient iD14) "see" the S/PDIF inputs going into the Saffire Pro 40.

Example:
    If I try to connect something like an Eleven Rack or an other preamp that has S/PDIF outputs into the Saffire Pro 40's S/PDIF inputs will the main Audio Interface see the S/PDIF inputs? Will I now have 12 simultaneous inputs?
    2 Preamps on Main Audio Interface (Audient iD14)
    8 Preamps on the Saffire Pro 40 using ADAT to connect to Audient iD14
    2 Channels going into the S/PDIF connections on the Saffire Pro 40

I not sure how the main interface will "See" the S/PDIF inputs from the Saffire Pro 40. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for your help today...
    Alex Z

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. AZTeleman

AZTeleman TDPRI Member

So, those who have or know about the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 know that it has its own S/PDIF inputs. So when I use this Interface I don't have this problem. The Eleven Rack can connect to the Saffire via S/PDIF and I get my 12 Inputs. But the Audient iD14 does not have S/PDIF (neither does the iD22 or 44 for that matter).

Yes, I know I can just use the Main Analog outs of the Eleven Rack in to the Saffire Pro 40 but that takes up 2 Preamps. I also like to keep those Analog outs available to drive a PA, or another Amp setup etc. The Eleven Rack does have several output options, I just want to know if S/PDIF to an ADAT Connected Preamp is one.

I also want to buy an Audient iD22. But if I have to burn 2 preamps to use it....I may think twice.

3. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm not real clear what your end configuration is you have in mind.

And, do you mean the ADAT (optical) connection? If you need a lot of channels, you should not be buying (more) interfaces with 2 preamps, IMO. Maybe get something that accepts multiple ADAT inputs?

P.S. (Edit) Just to answer, if you open your Focusrite MixControl software you can see how many inputs are available on whichever interface you choose, and you can assign both ADAT and S/PDIF inputs to any of those. On my Focusrite Pro 26, for instance, I have 18 inputs, and can assign the 4 mic pres, 8 ADAT and 2 S/PDIF inputs and still have some left over. The 40 has 10 (5x2) line outputs, so running out from that device seems unlikely, if it's the terminal one. Also, if you have a Mac, you can create an aggregate device for recording and use each of those individually, together.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.