Can I spray more clear coat over naturally relic'd finish?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Vlad McManwich, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Vlad McManwich

Vlad McManwich TDPRI Member

I finished a guitar a few years ago and it came out more matte than I'd expected. Since then, I've played the hell out of the guitar and it's developed some nice natural wear that I would like to retain. I don't want to refinish the guitar, but I would like to add some gloss to the finish. Can I spray more clear coat at this stage to add gloss and protection and how will that affect the bare wood that's showing through the worn down areas? I would be using the exact same Duplicolor Perfect Match clear coat I'd used originally.

Here is the guitar:

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Question: if the clear coat you sprayed originally turned out more matte than you expected or liked, why would spraying more of it create gloss? Did you rub it with something that killed the gloss?

Anyway, assuming the clearcoat is glossy, and is compatible with what’s already on the guitar, I’d give it a good wipe down with naptha to clean and degrease. If it’s enamel, you’ll need to scuff sand for adhesion, if lacquer, you can skip the scuff sand step.

The effect it will have on the wood that shows where the finish has worn through, will possibly darken the wood slightly, and of course, make it glossy. You will lose some of the “authenticity “ of the natural wear and tear.

3. Vlad McManwich

Vlad McManwich TDPRI Member

Haha good question.... I guess because I've used the same clear coat on 4 other guitars and they all came out pretty shiney. Im not sure why this one didn't turn out as glossy as I'd expected. I can't remember how much clear I put on back then or how I sanded/polished afterward. But this one feels like basically bare wood, whereas all the others definitely have a slick protective coating.

The reason I was thinking of spraying more clear is just to protect the finish. I like the way the body has worn but I don't want to keep rubbing all the paint off the whole thing. Plus I'd imagine the body is protected from moisture as much as it could be.

4. Doctorbb

Doctorbb TDPRI Member

I had the same situation before. I used furniture wax like a polishing compound and brought back a shine and tinted and protected the bare wood at the same time. Mind you, I had to rub the crap out of it, maybe if you used a buffer it would be easier. The finish though was really nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.