Can I Run My Silverface Vibrochamp Through This?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by 985plowboy, May 13, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Funny how the upright cabs are so difficult to sell when the horizontal piggyback cabs are still fetching a pretty high price. I think you get a lot of goodness for $200. Try getting a current cab (with speakers) for that kind of money....isn't going to happen.

Worth getting if you cash in pocket. It might also be worth suggesting a Weber Z-Matcher in your future if you like to experiment with different cabs.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's right at the bottom of the Vintage Price Guide range for excellent condition, which is generally low for an asking price - especially from a dealer. It has nothin to do with the individual speaker pricing - it's based on cabinet price ranges being based on 35% of the entire amp price (factoring for condition). Most knowledgable vintage dealers use the Vintage Price Guide to establish general asking prices; a few odd ones and pawn shops use the "Blue Book".

Not sure what you mean by "huge for the power handling" - 15" speakers do not inherently handle more power than smaller sizes. Power handling is based on the speaker construction - not size. And there is a wide range of sounds available from 15" speakers, so not liking or wanting them based strictly on size is based on misplaced preconceived notions IMO.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I think he means power handling based on the size of the cabinet itself, not the 15" speaker size.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Incomplete data....more information, please? Oxfords? Utah? JBL? CTS?

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Sorry Wally I'm not sure

Not JBL.
    They had blue label and said fender.
    I should have taken a pic
    I couldn't get the back at the way off, a couple screw heads had been stripped.
    I got almost all of them. Enough to ease it back and look inside.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just meant that it's a big cab with only two speakers and not much total power handling for the overall size and weight, compared to most cabs that big which generally have four speakers, so handle twice the power in a smaller package.

WRT 15" speakers, I have and have had a few, and didn't really like any of them, though I've heard some that sounded fine.

I used to like the old Jensen ceramics (and have a couple of good original cone tens stashed) and currently use a reconed '59 P12N daily, but I've never liked the sound of any Fender 2x15, even when I could carry one.
    They seem inexpensive when I run into them but just not an attractive piece of gear.

7. Silverface

You can't tell the power handling from the speaker size. FOUR 15" speakers could have half the power handling of TWO depending on the power rating of the specific speakers.

The size means nothing when it comes to power handling. There are 25 watt 15" speaker; 60 watt 15" speakers; 300 watt 15" speakers.

And unless you have actually LOOKED inside the cabinet to see which speakers are installed and checked the power handling of them, you have NO idea what the cabinet can handle.

You also need to factor in age. 25-30 year old speakers have lost about 1/3 of their power handling capability. So a 1960's 60 watt JBL D130, for example, now has about 40 watts of power handling - unless it's been reconed.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had that cab with a BF Bassman 50 and the 2 X12 cab, nostalgia plus!

9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I feel the need to say this...the value of anything is determined by the buyer and not price guides. There has never been a price guide that takes into account all the variables involved in the pricing of anything. There is literally a price guide for just about everything under the Sun out there and I just don't see any value in adhering to them. There may be cheaper versions out there and there might even be a ton of them in some other part of the world, but the only thing that matters is what is immediately available. For $200, that is a good deal unless there are a bunch of others next to it for less.

Okay rant over, I apologize for skidding the topic to the side of the road. I just get tired of people calling me about some gear that I have for sale and quoting me bible and verse of some price guide and how I am over-priced. It is as if nobody can think for themselves anymore and determine what something is worth to them.

10. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

First pic shows a silver dust cap. D140F or D130F? Bonus.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Right, but we're (or I was) discussing speakers that came in a '69 Fender cab.
    I wasn't making assumptions about 15" speakers in general, or suggesting size was related to power handling, just talking about 2x15 Fender cabs from the '60s.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    corliss1 likes this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never seen JBL’s with a Fender label on them...or if I have it doesn’t come to mind. There are other speakers that have metal dust covers. CTS for one did OEM speaker’s with metal dust covers. I had a Sunn 6x12 cab with such OEM CTS speakers.

Plowboy, just because there is a Fender label there does not mean the speakers are original....they could be, or they could be replacements with Fender labels. It is likely that they are original, though. Did the speakers have stamped frames or cast frames? Good luck with the cab.

Paul in Colorado and 985plowboy like this.
  13. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

My former employer, when making the mad dash to load three cars and a truck with entire booths he had bought at winter Namm, was approached by a few guys who unloaded some nice looking speaker cabs to him for moderately decent coin.
    He got them back to the shop and they were empty. I would've thought someone w 30 years in the business would no better.

*edit* forward that "no better" to the poor grammar thread! It's early, too much blood in my coffee stream.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    telemnemonics and Wally like this.
  14. 985plowboy

I'm going to say stamped metal.

Wally likes this.
  15. 985plowboy

Oooooohhhhhhh..... IMG_20190516_134926.jpg IMG_20190516_135042.jpg Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh IMG_20190516_134926.jpg

16. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

That's a great looking stack. Have fun!

17. 985plowboy

I don't have a A-dapter wire made up to hook it up yet!!!
    I'll let y'all know all about

18. tele_savales

19. tele_savales

You'll be cracking peoples sternums in the back row!

20. Silverface

The point was you don't know WHAT speakers are in the cabinet unless you look at them and check the code numbers on the frames. The aluminum dust caps don't mean anything - there were 15" JBLs, Utahs and even Radio Shack "Realistic" speakers with aluminum dust caps. 15" Utahs...actually any Utahs...are not among the most highly-revered speakers Fender used over the years. Many of them are very inefficient, and may not be pushed to very much volume by a Champ.

It sounds like you looked at them - did you take pictures? If so, post the code numbers and we can tell what manufacturer and year they are from.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.