Can I run DIYLC on Mac Mojave?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by King Fan, Nov 3, 2018.

1. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

From time to time I try, try again to run this software on my Mac -- and fail. I understand it involves having the *right* version of Java -- which may or may not be the *latest* version. There may be some talk about reverting to prior Java versions. I hear you also need to allow 3rd party software (I do). Helpful folks like @awasson have mentioned they can make it work, at least on fairly recent versions of the OS.

FWIW I'm running Mojave, OS 10.14. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

I’ll have a look at mine and see if I can recall how I got it working on EL Capitan. Java was one issue and I think I had to tell OS X that the program was ok to run. It’s not signed and OS X doesn’t trust it if I recall correctly.

cloink50 likes this.
  3. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I think the issues I’ve had are mainly about Java version installs and possible downgrades to older versions, then getting 'DIYLC” is damaged and can’t be opened.'

I do see the software trust issue mentioned and will have to check it out:

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/diy-layout-creator/VWZ5m5Dir6I

4. awasson

I set up my main computer with it sometime last spring. I had run an old version which was fine but then did the update to the latest and ran into trouble. I may have needed to run a permission command of some sort in the terminal but I don’t recall all of the details.

I’ve got a second iMac that I have to pull apart and clear all the dust out of today. I’m going to give it to my brother in law so once I’ve got it factory restored and then updated to the latest OS, I’ll see if I can get DIYLC on it. I’ll be able to get it going for sure but I’ll just need to document the steps.

5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Thanks. In case it helps here, I just retraced my try-to-install steps. I checked out my app trust settings as in the link above, and they are set to allow 3rd-party apps.

Then I went to this download page and got the 'newest' Mac version (posted May 2017).

Download page.png

Then I opened the .zip and dragged the app to my apps folder. On first launch I got this, which I've seen each time before. (Note: The dash-2 suffix is 'cause I had an older download on my machine -- but running the first download, or a third one after I tried again, all ends the same way).

Java dialog.png

So then I went to the More Info button and got this page:

Download legacy Java.png

Downloaded the installer for the Java 6 version, ran it, rebooted the machine and re-opened Safari with no apparent problems.

But now when I tried to run DIYLC, I got this dialog, which is where I always seem to end up:

Damaged dialog.png

I see the note in the legacy Java installer that it installs up to 10.13 High Sierra -- so maybe just maybe Mojave is the problem. *But* I've had exactly the same sequence of errors / fails when I tried to run DIYLC over the last couple years -- and had several of those older OS versions over that time.

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  6. awasson

This is exactly as I recall. You’ve just got to get the permissions to run the darn thing.

Check out this thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/diy-layout-creator/VWZ5m5Dir6I

One guy says he right clicked, went to properties, unlocked the read/write and set it for read/right. Someone else says they needed to go to configure and let OSX download and run 3rd party programs from anywhere.

7. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I’ll check that out. Permissions are always a bit weird, tho I don’t remember having to mess with 'em on apps. But I’ll re-read that thread.

8. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Hal 9000-"Im sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that!"

King Fan likes this.
  9. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Java, the promise: write once, run anywhere.

Java, the reality: write once, debug everywhere.

mgwhit and King Fan like this.
  10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't been able to get it on mac even before Mojave, It ran on my old mac fine can't remember what operating system it was on it. I also tried to get ink scape on my mac no luck either I even downloaded the software it prompted me to download. BTW iI downloaded the Java also.

King Fan likes this.
  11. awasson

I’ve got it running on my main Mac which runs EL Capitan. It runs fine but required so messing around.

Today I pulled the screen and LCD out of my old IMac (2009 27” Core Duo). It overheats and turns the display off so I was hoping it wa just full of dust. It was not. So it’s either the liquid heat sink has sprung a leak and evaporated or the thermal paste has hardened up on the CPU or GPU and needs to be replaced. Either way, it’s a little bit of a long haul to fix it and won’t be happening tomorrow.

Anyway, now that I know it’s not going to be a quick fix, I can turn down the display brightness and it will stay running. It’s running Sierra or High Sierra so I’ll see about getting DIYLC on it and report my findings. I’m pretty sure I ran a terminal command on it to make it work on my main compute but I didn’t document it. We’ll see more about it tomorrow.

12. Dan Miller

Dan Miller Tele-Meister

awasson likes this.
  13. SacDAve

i’ve also looked for something like DIYLC no luck. I think another problem going to be apple seems to be doing so many upgrades keeping DIYLC working is going to be a challenge.

14. SacDAve

15. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I'm running it on mojave, ymmv

awasson likes this.
  16. awasson

Which version. Are you running? Initially a few years ago I was running an older version that ran no problem. It was only this last spring when I installed the latest version that my Mac gave me a hard time with it. It wasn’t too bad because I did have it up and running within maybe 30 minutes to an hour of tinkering but it did require a little fussing around.

17. awasson

I’ll bet this was what I had to do to run it on my system. I’ll try it later this morning. It’s just before 7am here so after a coffee and some wake up time I’ll give it a shot on my testing iMac.

18. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Ta-daaaaa. :) Houston, we have DIYLC. Thank you all!!!

@Dan Miller has the secret. Apparently in OS from Sierra onward, Apple took away the option to allow software downloaded from 'anywhere':

Anywhere.png

The link he provided tells you how to turn it back on using Terminal, and also has a 'disable' command to turn it back off immediately after getting DIYLC to launch the first time. Here's a pic, but to copy and paste the actual command (recommended) click on the link instead:

terminal.png

Sooooo... you first do the steps @awasson mentioned to download the 2017 version and install the legacy Java. I listed these steps in post #5 above. Get DIYLC in your Applications folder. You can try to launch it but you will likely get the "broken -- move to trash" error.

Then you run the (first) terminal command here. (Terminal may ask for your Mac password -- note the password isn't shown on the terminal screen when you type it.)

Then confirm you can launch DIYLC, and if you share your computer with your kids or anyone else (your morning self???) who might accidentally download evil software, you can run the (second) command.

Again, thanks to @awasson , @Dan Miller , and to all of you.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Dan Miller, CoyotesGator and awasson like this.
  19. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Oh, and to run those commands it's easier to go to the actual page showing the commands so you can use copy and paste to get the spacing and syntax right in Terminal.... :D

Hmm, I guess I'll edit that into the post above and render this post redundant. Worth repeating I guess....

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  20. awasson

Awesome! Glad to hear you got it upmand running. The guy who created DIYLC is a member here too which is kind of awesome.

King Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.