Can I live with an hour and ten minute commute?

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
FWIW, my wife commutes about an hour and ten each way, and I make a similar drive at least a few times per week from our rural location into St. Louis. My son went to a high school about an hour in that direction, so when my wife was traveling for work I made the drive daily too.

It does knock a chunk out of your day, and it was nice that most of the time we could do that commute in a Prius instead of a 4-wheel-drive pickup or something. It’s a bummer when the daylight savings time changes happen in the fall and your daylight is blown when you get home.

BUT we have both commented on how you get used to the routine and you kind of go onto mental autopilot during the drive; you’re not actively hating every second of it once you adopt the new commute routine. If the new job really will be less stressful than the old closer one, that might be an acceptable tradeoff.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Don't know if You can, but ditching the longish commute worked for me.
The long drive sounds a lot like the toxic place I used to work at.
In 1991 I traded it out for 6min by car, 10 min by bike or 33min on foot.
During "these times" I've been doing most of it on foot.

Closer is better.
And I now keep all the darn money and can step off to spend an hour on the phone w/ an old friend or the full afternoon w/ my daughter and Nobody can yell at me.

Peace - Deeve

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
1) It's a state job, so the "two days per week" tele-commuting policy is just institutional and non-negotiable.

2) No trains. It'll be interstate driving, with rush hour traffic while passing through Lexington in the evenings.

If the money is right, get a car that giets great mileage, get an audible.com account and go to it. sock the extra dough away for college and retirement.

you make it all happen. in my eyes, it is heroic.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
I just did the math on a 22% raise for my own salary, and I would not take it. I REALLY hate the way others drive, though. A long commute would really stress me out.

Long shot option: is motorcycle lane-splitting legal where you are? If so, would you and your wife consider it? You can basically convert a stop and go to a straight drive, albeit at 30 instead of 65, and motorcycles get great mileage.

Edit: wait, is the *drive* an hour 10, or is the *commute* an hour 10? If it's 70 minutes BEFORE rush hour, that's a big fat no from me. I'd need a solid 50% raise for that, and even it wouldn't be certain.

Last edited:

El Marin

Friend of Leo's
If you can ride instead of drive, it will substantially reduce your stress levels.

Yes, For me, one hour going and another going back in my motorbike is a joy, not a burden. Get a Harley and enjoy the ride

22% more.money, less stress, work from home two days...go for it.

THIS

I am in a similar situation as you. I negociated one year abroad, now I am in Estonia, and when coming back to Spain, two days a week at the office and three days remote work. My office is 50 min to one hour from my place. As you, I have daughters in school age and don't want to move them. I will ride my motorbike like is stolen and have fun. In Spain, you can use the side of the road to skip traffic jams with a motorbike... so I can make it in 40 minutes some days...

I have been living in London and Madrid (my home town)... there is normal 50 min to 1:30 hour average conmmuting by tube or bus... that's even worst!!!

https://ne-transportsolutions.com/project/average-london-commute-stands-at-74-minutes-a-day/

https://moovitapp.com/insights/en/Moovit_Insights_Public_Transit_Index_France_Paris-662

For me, as urban european, is not that much

Last edited:

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
Don't know if You can, but ditching the longish commute worked for me.
The long drive sounds a lot like the toxic place I used to work at.
In 1991 I traded it out for 6min by car, 10 min by bike or 33min on foot.
During "these times" I've been doing most of it on foot.

Closer is better.
And I now keep all the darn money and can step off to spend an hour on the phone w/ an old friend or the full afternoon w/ my daughter and Nobody can yell at me.

Peace - Deeve

I’m fine with the long drive, but I admit this is a very good way to look at it.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Yes. Do it. No brainer. The potential for promotion could pay off so dearly down the road, you almost can’t pass up this opportunity. Enjoy your new journey. Unwinding from a commute is way easier than unwinding from a stressful 8 hour job … by far.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
On the surface, it sounds pretty good to me. BUT... is there any chance that things could change at the new job thereby decreasing the "good stuff" that you'd currently enjoy? It would suck if you go to work for em and, over time, the job ends up becoming pretty much what you left... :confused:

Longer commute = Cost of commuting i.e. gas, wear and tear on vehicle, etc. risks associated with longer drive etc.

Stress is a powerful, negative, thing that literally can cause emotional as well as physical damage. The less of that you have in your life the better. I left a high paying job in management over it years ago, and never looked back. Today I go out of my way to avoid it as much as possible, and driving 2+ hours to work, 3 days a week, would not bother me at all if it meant I was going to shave the stress factor out of my life.

Anyway, just my 2 cents and good luck in whatever decision you make man! :cool:

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
The longest commute I ever did was a little over an hr each way, mostly 2 lane state hwy, with minimal traffic. Did that for a couple of years. It got old but the scenery was nice so I never really hated it. Had a small compact car, rode a motorcycle when the weather was nice. My last 5-6 yrs was a 45 min each way, mostly interstate and 4 lane, with fairly congested traffic(for Alabama). That annoyed me way more than the longer one but it was tolerable. I mostly managed to maintain a zen-like attitude over the situation and use the time to unwind. I say if you are still young, like the work, and need the promotion potential then go for it. The work from home combined with more pay, promotion potential, and less stressful work will help a lot to offset the downside. Get yourself a gas sipper and cruise.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
What duration will shifts be?

I tool a $5k/year pay cut earlier this year to transfer to a job 45 (instead of 50ish) minutes away at a less awful facility. Then 2 weeks ago another job opened up, 10 minutes from my house, going up by $2k/yr.
I'd go back to the original awful place for another $20k/yr and a 4 day work week, but after spending the last 8 years driving almost 2 hours a day, and working a stressful job on salary that often morphed from 10 hour days with no lunch to 12s or 6 day work weeks.....

Well, less stress and more money are great, but 75% of the year you said they'd let you remote-in a few days a week? That's gotta more than offset the drive time.
It's somewhere you've worked before, so your "new hire' stress will be mitigated some.
Seems like the right play.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
I am commuting 90 minutes a day by train in one direction. That can be stressful sometimes, but mostly I use the time to read books, which I normally would not take the time to do, so, there is a gain in that.
If I would commute longer in your case really relies on the job and team you are working in. If the job is less stressful regarding timelines as you mentioned, that is a big plus. Then you seem to know the time from your time there 3years ago, and if you like these people and they are good colleagues then my decision would have been made. It's far more distressing working in a bad work environment , than commuting a little longer. You spent a big chunk of your life's time at work and this should be honored by having the best environment possible. If the new job offers that, I'd definitely do that.
I know a lot of friends who burned/bore out due to narcissistic bosses or doing work, that is not appreciated or just repetitive with no option to improve one's skills, but I know of none with a job they love and a longer commute who ever complained besides the usual.

Either way you choose, if it feels right, it is right.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Anyone out there made a long-distance commute on the reg? Any advice, insight, opinion?

Been there but it's not fun, so my answer to the thread topic is: You can but you don't want to!
On the other hand, if you have the possibility to go by bus/train or other public transportation, then you have 2h20min extra productivity time each day.
I wrote large chunks of my master's thesis on a laptop during those commutes.