Can I keep my pedals plugged in?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Telefan33, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Telefan33

Telefan33 TDPRI Member

I have been using a EHX Bass Big Muff Pi and Radial Tonebone Headbone with my two amp heads and 212 cabinet. I was wondering if I can keep the cables hooked up and unplug the power adapters from the power strip when not in use? I don't have any batteries I need to worry about. Would this cause any problems long term?

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know the best answer to your question. But I keep a small pedal board in my living room and it's plugged in all the time. As long as it's not using a battery, I don't see the harm of just keeping it all plugged in.

3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Zero problem. Actually it’s better not to unplug your pedals continuously since it can wear out the jack sockets.
    Best solution is unplugging the main from the wall, or using an outlet with an on/off switch.

4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I don't see a problem.

I do it all the time.

DougM and Collin D Plonker like this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

No hay problema con eso.

Switchy likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I keep my entire rig including guitar plugged in but shut off the power strip.

nojazzhere, stormsedge and Lawdawg like this.
  7. Telefan33

Telefan33 TDPRI Member

Great idea of just shutting off the power strip and keeping the adapters in. Glad I asked. Thanks.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

...Until my wife plugs a fan into the strip in the living room and I don't notice pedals lit up...

rangercaster and Fretting out like this.
  9. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Yep - This.

stepvan likes this.
  10. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

Plugging all pedals on the board without batteries into your power supply and then plugging the single power cord into a surge protected power strip while using the power button to turn off the entire board,. is what I have done for years with no issues.

You also avoid some wear and tear.

Setting aside your gear being exposed instead of putting it up safely, only the small spring pressure clip inside the pedal will be positioned out of it's rest position and might over time set further out than the stock rest position, that could cause somewhat loose plugin's in the future. Older pedals might already suffer this from constant plug-in/out usage already.

That said...I keep each of mine plugged in all the time with the main surge protected power strip off.

Lawdawg likes this.
  11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Just turn off the power strip.

Lawdawg likes this.
  12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the power strip method. Easy-peasy.

13. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

The only problem is you dont have enough pedals;)

rangercaster and Fretting out like this.
  14. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

I also use a power strip to turn my pedals on, some lights on, and a fan.

Pedals continue to use power if the circuit isn’t engaged. I also had a tendency of leaving pedals on. The power strip solves both problems.

15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I leave mine plugged in, and the power strip turned on all the time, with no issues.

16. Telefan33

Telefan33 TDPRI Member

More of an amp and guitar guy at the moment. I have played, bought or sold a lot of the pedals from the '00s. I know a lot has changed the past decade but I have played with some really good overdrive, modulation and delay pedals.

My amp heads I'm using with this rig are a EHX Mig 50 and Marshall Origin 50h going through a Origin 212. Using the EHX as head 1 (clean) and head 2 Origin (clean/slightly dirty) with optional EHX Bass Big Muff Pi.

This is kind of a return to electric guitar for me because for a long time I was playing acoustic guitar and only my Squier CV and 72 Deluxe through a Fender Super Champ X2 on occasion.

As far as my pedalboard goes I really like the option between switching between amp heads with the Radial Tonebone Headbone it's a subtle change but noticeable when driving head 2 with my Bass Big Muff Pi. Head 1 really gives that Bassman tone and the Origin (head 2) comes close to a Plexi IMO. The Origin 212 isn't too bad either. Both amp heads are stock besides some EHX 12AX7 in the preamp section of the Origin and the Mig 50 has stock Tung Sol tubes. I plan on tube rolling eventually. I'm pretty satisfied with Seventy 80 speakers in this particular Marshall cabinet. I have played with other speakers and these work with the amps well.

The Bass Big Muff Pi works well with guitar. I guess it's kind of old school because Electro Harmonix has re-issued so many of their Big Muffs recently. I really like this pedal. I have played the "Big Box" RI, Tone Wicker and Little BMP. I defiantly prefer the Bass Big Muff Pi. I think it is close to the Black Russian Big Muff Pi. I remember playing one years ago that I equally liked with a Les Paul Custom.

The two pedals actually take up a bit of space so I would probably have to get another pedalboard if I wanted more. I have been eyeing a Boss Space Echo and a EP Booster but don't have plans on any additions right now.

jddub440 likes this.
  17. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Omg I've been wanting to try both of those amp heads since they were announced.....you must be loving them in stereo. What do you think of each amp on it's own and which one would you keep if you HAD to get rid of one??
    Btw it's absolutely fine to keep all the
    Instrument cables, patch cables, and even the power cables plugged in at all times, just try to make sure you disconnect the power from outlet or power strip when done and turn the amp off.

18. Telefan33

Telefan33 TDPRI Member

TBH I haven't tried them in stereo although that has been on my mind. I switch between head 1 and head 2 using the Headbone. The Mig 50 is a NMV so it is really loud like as loud as a YBA-1 or early Marshall Plexi. You would need a attenuator to really get some overdrive from the amp. I'm just using it for a clean Bassman sound. It doesn't give the pristine cleans like Blackface Fenders but more in the ballpark of Tweed Fenders. The Origin 50h does the plexi clean really well and sounds great driven with a DOD 250 or Boss Blues Driver. I feel with the power scaling, master volume, and FX loop the Origin just goes beyond the call of duty. I really like them both but I would probably buy the Marshall again. Honestly I might buy another one because I think it is such a good deal. I plan on tube rolling eventually. The Tung Sol tubes sound pretty good in the Mig 50 but might switch to EHX 12AX7s. The stock tubes in the Marshall I think were JJ power tubes and Chinese preamp tubes. I took out the Chinese tubes and replaced with EHX. Those will probably go in the Mig 50 and Mullards will go in the Marshall.

jddub440 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.