Can I improve the tone of this Jasmine S34C?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by SixShooter, May 25, 2017.

1. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

I just picked up a Jasmine S34C for $95 at MF based on reviews I read here. I will be taking this guitar to Nicaragua for a one week trip and then leave it there. I'll be playing for children so the sound quality is not uber important but it does sound a little cardboardy. I plan to change the strings which I think will make a big improvement. Trying to keep my costs low, but would it be worth changing the pins and or saddle? Tweak the nut or install a preslotted one?

Otherwise the guitar is decent for 95 bucks. The neck is nice, action fine, finish surprisingly nice. BTW, I was considering the Epiphone DR-100 but the neck was a little fat for my taste. And it has a decent tone (better than the Jasmine) though not as much volume as the Jasmine. The Jasmine neck is more slender.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, you know how you read posts about fairly expensive acoustic guitars like Martins producing a less than stellar example now and then? Not every one is golden.

Same thing applies to inexpensive, mass produced acoustics as well. I'm not sure if you were able to play several examples of the Jasmine or if there was just the one. I've played at least three of the regular dreds and each of them sounded much better than their selling price would dictate...much like the Taks of old.

I don't think anything you mentioned is going to alter the tone considerably...with the exception of trying different strings. Good luck and hope your trip goes well!

3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Volume is a lot more important than so-called "tone."

I'd swap the strings and leave it at that.

4. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

I agree with what the others have said. I too picked one up based on the many positive reviews and thought it lacked some. I tried a bone saddle but it didn't help much. Try Elixers and if that doesn't help, then I would return it and spend a little more. Ibanez has some great sounding guitars for under $200 and I also recommend the Recording King Dirty 30 models, Yamaha FG/FS 800 series. However, since you are giving it away, I'm sure they will love it regardless. Have a safe trip!

5. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't change anything but the strings.

Over the last several months, I played four or five S34Cs at the local Music Go Round, and found them astonishingly consistent in both sound and playability. Temptation grew, to the point that I went back, intent upon a purchase at the customary $120 street price, only to discover that they had a (very lightly) used one in stock for $80. I pounced.

Full disclosure: I bought my S34C to play as a lap steel, with an extension nut raising the strings. I'm currently using a Fishman Neo D 2 pickup in the sound hole, driving a Blackstar ID:Core BEAM amp.

Ultimately, I intend to use the S34C for a specialized tuning requiring custom string gauges. But the strings that came on the guitar sound so good to me with this rig that I've decided to wear 'em out before replacing them.

6. Finnlander

Finnlander TDPRI Member

Changing the strings changes the tone more or less. I use Daddario EJ40. They are 11 gauge and I use them because they are rich sounding and very easy to play.

Your guitar may also have a plastic tusq-lookalike saddle like mine and I didn't bother to change it because the intonation was spot on and guitar sounded very nice indeed after chaging the strings. The originals were quite good too by all means.

While changing the strings I polished the frets lightly and oiled the fretboard but that was all.

It is a nice gesture to leave the guitar to the children to play. You are a very thoughtful person.

Then one thing I noticed that the guitar has two versions Jasmine by Jasmine like this and Jasmine by Takamine like the one I have. I don't know if there's any difference in sound between those two but at least the headstocks are different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.