Can I cut off excess threaded screw bit underneath HB??

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by backporchmusic, Aug 23, 2018.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Here's my issue--I am installing a Gibson HB (490R) in the neck position of an Epiphone ET 290. The guitar has a bolt on neck with an exposed and frankly, cavity-filling tenon. In order to mount the Gibson correctly I would have to shear off the excess threaded screw parts from the bottom of the pickup.

My question is this--can I cut them down without changing the tone or functionality of the pickup?

If I can do this--why would they not simply use shorter screws for the poles? What advantage would the longer screws give?

Thanks--and pics below (not mine but the same).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I'd use shorter screws and keep the stock ones in case I wanted to sell the pickups later on.

3. backporchmusic

So I could just buy shorter ones, remove the old ones and replace with new ones? Won't be difficult or mess anything up?

Sorry to be ignorant but I all know of pickups is how they sound and how to solder them in.

4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You can cut rhem or replace them. Just use the proper size screwdriver and you will be fine.

backporchmusic likes this.
  5. backporchmusic

They are the gold (not chrome or nickle) version--so what material are the screws made out of? Can I buy them at Home Depot, or do I need to order special ones from a guitar parts place?

Sorry to be so ignorant!

6. Inglese

Inglese Tele-Meister

You need low carbon steel screws (not AISI 304 or A2 neither AISI 306 or A4 commonly used for stainless steel), gold is just a surface aesthetic treatment.

I'd short them too, part in excess is draining part of the magnetic flux away from strings.

backporchmusic likes this.
  7. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

It will brighten the tone slightly because it will reduce the inductance slightly. But the difference is so small you will probably never be able to hear it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.