1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can I A/b/Y speaker cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chet Johnson, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I got a relic tweed Blues Jr. Yesterday, and a lacquered tweed extension cab.

I thought that the blues junior would have an extension speaker jack, but it only has the jack for the internal speaker.

Can send the amplifier output into an A/b/y box, and select between the internal open back speaker, and the closed back speaker cabinet? Also, can I use the Y on the box and run both 8ohm speakers at the same time without amplifier damage?

Thanks!

2. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Yes, there are A/B/Y speaker switching boxes. it is usually done with relays close to the amp and speakers and the relay control run out to a floorboard switch. Weber is the least expensive I know of.

If you don't mind doing it manually, you could use a switch intended for impedance switching

3. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just get one of these. Much cheaper than a splitter box.
    [​IMG]

4. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

actually in this case , I already have the ABY box and was hoping to use stuff that I had and come up with some new trick.

If I use the Y cable and run both 8ohm speakers simultaneously, do I risk anything on the amplifier?

5. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

your output tubes will wear out a bit faster, but it would surprise me it it is noticeably faster.

If the A/Y/B box is a stomp box, make sure the switch is rated for the current.

6. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You can safely run Fender amps at up to 100% impedance mismatch.
    An 8 ohm output transformer will handle 4-16 ohms with no ill effects.
    Just be sure you don't run the amp without a speaker load or you will kill the OT.

7. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

You will need this type of ABY switch :
    http://www.tonebone.com/tb-cabbone.htm

A regular ABY switch is not safe enough. It have to be "connect before disconnect" type in order to avoid any gap in power feeding that will result in a no load situation. Doing such even for a very short period is dangerous for the OPT, moreover when the amp is running at high level.

Edit: I just noticed that this Radial switch not even do the "Y" part of your request!!!! And the price is pretty high.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.