1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can Gotoh split shaft tuner buttons be changed?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by V Silly, Jan 21, 2015.

1. V Silly

V Silly Tele-Meister

Hello folks, just discovered I may have a nickel allergy and all the tuners on my guitars are Gotoh split shaft nickel. I really like split shaft tuners and do not want change to solid shaft. It does not look like the tuner buttons can be changed but thought maybe I just don't know how it is done? My other brilliant idea is to dip the tuner buttons clear plasti-dip which is the plastic coating used to make tool handles.

Luckily I have stainless frets and have started experimenting with nickel free strings. Not sure the brief amount of time I spend touching tuner buttons is going to be an issue but it might be a good idea to eliminate as much nickel as possible.

Thanks for any feedback, all the best.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

How about painting them with clear nail polish or lacquer? Maybe superglue?

3. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

I don't know about changing buttons, but the Gotoh SD91s are available with other knobs. I just bought a pair of white plastic button Gotohs on ebay and the factory catalog lists a few other non-nickel options.

Seller on the white button jobs was "johnnyshades."

The plasti-dip idea might work though. Whattya got to lose trying?

4. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

How about a few pairs of thin cotton gloves in your gig bag?

5. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

I'm allergic to nickel but have never had any issues with anything guitar related (strings, hardware, etc). Make sure they're actually causing you problems before you invest money on something different.

6. V Silly

V Silly Tele-Meister

Only problem with SD91 Gotoh is the ones with plastic buttons are not available staggered as far as I can tell. Have enjoyed not needing spring trees...

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Unless you're using the tuning machines as pierced-earrings, you shouldn't have an issue. Ask your allergist. Do you have a problem with buttons, snaps, zippers, or faucet handles?

8. V Silly

V Silly Tele-Meister

It's kind of a new development so not sure about what the triggers are. From reading anecdotes of others with nickel allergy, it can develop after years of not having a problem. Or in my case it might not be the nickel at all, but I changed to nickel free strings and the rash seems to be clearing... so...? If you look up causes of contact dermatitis it seems it can be triggered by many thousands of things.

9. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You could probably just give them a couple of coats of spray poly, if you can't change them.

11. V Silly

V Silly Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone, I think that I have good ideas here, best regards

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.