1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can anyone think of a better drummer than Travis Barker?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by guspac88, May 4, 2020.

1. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I hate to say anything as controversial as Travis Barker AND his band totally suck, but I guess I already did. Joey Jordison and Slipknot, too.

2. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

Frank Beard
    Mitch Mitchell

yojimbo likes this.
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

As for drummers... if you can't keep a simple beat ... you're not a drummer ... I don't care if you have a double bass drum setup with ten roto tom's and eight cymbals and do every flourish and fill ever invented or conceived by mankind ... give me Charlie Watts or Max Weinberg or Ringo ...

haggardfan1 likes this.
  4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Am I really the first poster to mention Stewart Copeland? C'mon guys -- Stewart F'in Copeland!

Seriously, short of maybe Ginger Baker there's never been a better example of a drummer who possessed great technical proficiency but always at the service of musicality. Copeland had a unique style that inverted the traditional form of rock drumming by incorporating middle eastern polyrhythms, jazz, reggae and rock. No, he's not nearly as flashy or technical as Neil Peart and the like, but he more than makes up for that in shear creativity and feel.

Barker's certainly a technically solid drummer, and no doubt he has some really great chops. That said, there's a world of far more creative and interesting drummers out there.

5. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

In my opinion a band is only as good as it's drummer.

If you want something a little different check out Joe Morello's chops on Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Every song on the record is in a different time signature.

Keith Moon is pretty nuts, The Who are no where near as good without him. John Bonham is a force of nature, the most sampled drummer with good reason. and Ringo Starr is criminally underrated, tight, flexible, and a human metronome.

Cream, and Hendrix both had great drummers.

Stuart Copeland (the police) is a great drummer as well. Tight, precise, adventurous, and subtle at the same time.

6. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

Beat me to it by a minute!

7. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Travis Barker is good, but off the top of my head, here are some guys I wouldn't say he's "better" than:
    Bill Bruford, Billy Cobham, Vinnie Colaiuta (kinda young, kinda wow), Tony Williams, Mike Portnoy, Chad Wackerman, Carl Palmer, Phil Collins, Jon Hiseman, Ian Paice, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Neil Peart, John Bonham, Stewart Copeland, Danny Carey, Max Weinberg.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  8. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I don't think anyone's said Marco Minneman yet, so I'll go with that.

9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Three pages in and unless I missed it, still no Pretty Purdie.

Dunno if he's better than Barker,but he's definitely someone to hear if you want to hear a variety of awesome drummers.

Ron R likes this.
  10. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

Bruford is the man.

11. mortron

mortron TDPRI Member

So many good drummers out there. Some bad ones too.

And for every good drummer, there will be someone who is a detractor. I've seen a few comments that have turned my head sideways... as does any thread with us sharing opinions. It's also why I like reading these threads.

- You can't dismiss talent based on the genre of music. It's like saying because someone makes food at McDonald's for a living they don't know how to cook properly or well. Nonsense. This is the biggest point I want to make.

- Some of the "best drummers" are ones who drummers are the first to criticize... doesn't make those players any less, but it does mean they are not infallible. One 80's drummer comes to mind as not having the best timing, so much so that there are blatant timing errors committed to platinum selling album that stand out to even a hack like me. He would still be my first choice.

In regard to specific players mentioned or not:

- Joey Jordison is an odd guy. I can't pretend to have a pulse on him. Does he have a pulse? LOL. Max Weinberg's son Jay is now the drummer for Slipknot. He was the drummer for Against Me, Madball and filled in for his dad on Bruce's tour. While I am no Slipknot fan, I can attest to Jay's heavier drumming skills and his ability to play with the old dudes too.

- Travis Barker has been employed as a musician for over 20 years, and worked with a long list of folk. I am sure our opinion of him hasn't affected his happiness as a drummer. Guy has been through some crazy stuff, kept going and adapted to the industry when others came and went. This is a guy who collaborated with a DJ - he tried to find a place in a genre dominated by machines. I don't know him personally, so can't attest to his attitude, but his appearance won't win over anyone with prejudices. Look at his credits, surely there is something he's done you liked... because he's done a ton. His being in Blink 182 is not a fault. He brought a lot to pop punk, like it or not. Here I was thinking they were hard on the one who believed in UFO's!

- Remember, as with all music, sometimes the guys you haven't heard of are the guys you've heard the most. The Funk Brothers come to mind. Being musicians, we have a bit more knowledge, but the average person may not know a tom from a snare, less who brought what to the table in Motown.

- Some people want a guy who plays their drums, and other people just want a metronome who drinks, smokes and carries his own gear.

I've held back on a few of these points, and not gotten into anything specific regarding any players, because it's already out there if you want to know more bout em. I wouldn't appreciate anyone taking a dump all over my body of work or personality based on a half arse outside perspective. Especially in an industry where the lines between entertainment and reality can get blurred/skewed/crossed with relative ease.

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Tommy Ardolino was such a huge part of NRBQ's groove. His jazz swing was applied to their wide and wild range of song styles.

rjtwangs likes this.
  13. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

This is typical of my generation, they all think the best drummer is Travis Barker, I think he's just good, he's fast but I saw him live with Blink-182 and it seems to me that he's always ahead of the beat and I don't like that, it sounds like he's rushing the songs and without dynamics ... maybe its a punk-rock thing.

As a drummer myself I like Taylor Hawkins (The Foo Fighters), Matt Helders (The Artic Monkeys), Dom Howard (Muse), Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta), Dave Grohl (Queen Of Stoneage), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree) and specially Danny Carey (TOOL) just to name a few from the same era.

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Now you're talking about a real drummer.

nvilletele and Norris Vulcan like this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

OP, a model for rock, pop, and R&B playing is Dino Danelli of the Rascals. He's flashy, but look past that and see that he plays exactly what the song needs. Time, fills, accents at the right moments, and all with taste. He *looked* like he was overplaying, but he never was.

Also, listen to Clyde Stubblefield who played with James Brown. He maintained time, but didn't necessarily maintain it for the band. Generally no miked kick drum in recordings. Everyone in the band kept time because James had devolved the music to 100% rhythm. Trombone, sax, organ, even the vocals were rhythm. Clyde provided texture that filled out the song and did so with a light touch. There's a lifetime of learning in trying to replicate his style.

rjtwangs likes this.
  16. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The thing about punk rock is it's not exactly a haven of consummate musicianship, not that there aren't great punk rock bands with great tunes or anything, because there are many. But great drummers uh...

I saw a band called the Linecutters, I thought that guy was solid. After their set he told me he was a D&BC player for a long time.

https://thelinecutters.bandcamp.com/music

I think all three of these bands are great punk rock bands..I don't really know about the drummers though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Flag_(band)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mclusky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherface_(band)

Any great jazz drummer is worth listening to.

Here's some guys I like. I threw in Bill and Mitch just because I love their playing so much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Williams_(drummer)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Ward_(musician)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philly_Joe_Jones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Roach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Cobb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Mitchell

Any competent metal drummer or math rock drummer is probably a better drummer than Travis.

Travis is, or at least was, a pretty huge celebrity though, so there's that.

To put Travis in perspective, dig up that old MTV reality show where he joined the band at the University of Nebraska as a drummer for part of a season.

17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Travis is incredible. He is a human click track, and his playing is always exciting. I love how there seems to be a marching band influence coming through his playing. He is so precision and it really adds to the music he plays.

I am really getting into, and trying to incorporate, the heavy groove into my drumming. My main man right now is JP Gaster from Clutch. He is SO good at the deep, heavy groove, and is good at playing to exactly what the song needs. Watching him do playthroughs of Clutch songs is like a drumming master class every time.

As far as an all-around classic hard rocking drummer goes, John Fred Young from Black Stone Cherry is always fun to watch. Once again, impeccable timing, and can channel that explosive authority that Bonham had.

DLReed likes this.
  18. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

This times a million. Crover is amazing and doesn’t get near the attention he should for it.

FWIW, I like Barker fine as a drummer, but I can’t stand Blink 182 at all. Barker was good on that Aquabats album he did before Blink stole him away.

Steve 78 and gregulator450 like this.
  19. newrider1969

newrider1969 Tele-Holic

Alphonse Mouzon. Check out the Mind Transplant album.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  20. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I think:
    -Bonham was awesome and had the best drum SOUND, and power
    -Peart was the best ever
    Mike Portnoy and Danny Carey are the current best drummers
    -Bill Ward from Black Sabbath doesnt get mentioned enough. GREAT drummer
    -Chris Layton is still a great drummer
    -Mitch Mitchell was a great drummer

But to me, the rhythm section in total 8s what's important. Bass and drums together is what matters most to me.

aging_rocker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.