Can anyone recommend some feel good or romantic films?

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Grosse Pointe Blank, with Minnie Driver, John Cusack and Dan Aykroyd.

Hilarious film with a completely improbable premise...but that's why we watch fictional films anyway. It's good entertainment.

Screw that. And screw romantic comedies altogether. Have some straight-up "Point Blank." I think the opening shots of the trailer say it all. Then walk down the f'ing corridor like Lee Marvin.

Wee little Robert Downey Jr. is set to play the same character in a limited series. Methinks this is a mistake.

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Lots of good suggestions here. I have not sifted through the whole thread but I would add The Royal Tenenbaums and Wedding Crashers. And Dodgeball! And for Cusack fans, High Fidelity!

mycroftxxx

Tele-Meister
I don’t like rom-coms but a good feel-good movie is another kettle of popcorn.

Very cool to see The Fisher King getting some love here. I won’t spoil it for those who haven’t seen it, but when we saw it in a packed house very early in its theatrical run (over 30 years ago now!), there’s a scene near the end, with Mercedes Ruehl (in the Oscar-winning best role of her career) and Jeff Bridges, where the entire theater delivered an impromptu standing ovation. Not a comedy, but a damned good, moving, uplifting movie, IMHO Robin Williams’ best performance, and Bridges and Ruehl are fabulous too.

Joe vs. the Volcano is indeed a great one, Tom Hanks playing a more sad sack role than usual, early-career Meg Ryan slyly ditzy and immensely appealing in three roles, an overlooked gem.

Casablanca is that rarity for me, a “classic” that’s…classic! Bogart has depths you don’t necessarily expect; Claude Rains is surprisingly three-dimensional as the conflicted inspector with all the best lines; Paul Henreid injects some humanity into the thankless role of Victor Laszlo; the supporting cast (including Dooley Wilson, Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet) is excellent; and Ingrid Bergman is simply luminous and magnetic as Ilsa. Even knowing how it turns out - and who doesn’t? - there’s suspense and romance galore, and the bittersweet ending is just right.

And plenty of other good suggestions in this thread, but I wanted to highlight these three.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
You left out Reservoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects! But this is the wrong list for "feel good"....
Oh! that good old nasty feeling isn't romantic? my bad and I thought it was my wardrobe that was such an effective means of protected intimacy. whoops!

Snappy cat.jpg

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Afflicted

As an animal lover myself, I bought the DVD of Hachi A Dog's Tale a few years ago, and I must say, Richard Gere did a good job in this film. He is a very good actor, and he rarely makes a bad film.

Brent Hutto

Tele-Afflicted
No animals but one of the most romantic movies I can remember is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It has a lot of weirdness and sort of fantasy/sci-fi trappings but the heart of the movie is a massively romantic love story. And even though it stars Jim Carey, it's not really a comedy (except for a few moments).

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
We watched 'Jerry and Marge Marge Go Large' (2022 movie) last night on Paramount+. Bryan Cranston and Annette Benning. Chuck from Better Call Saul is in it as well. Based on a true story. No blood and gore. Romantic.

acousticnitemare

Tele-Meister
I am trying to find some romantic comedies, fantasy or other feel good type of films to watch with my wife. We just watched the Princess Bride a few months ago, which she had never see and she loved it. I am not as big of a film buff as I use to be, so would you have any recommendations of anything nice to watch? Old movies are fine as well, especially anything with animals in it.
So many good ones already mentioned; the only ones I have left are "Undercover Angel", "It Had To Be You", and "The Untold Story". They may yet be out on Youtube.