Can anyone recommend any nice/calm albums? anything folky is good

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
Recorded in 2006 Bob Dylan’s Modern Times is well executed and mostly relaxed, if you can take bobs gravel vocals.
Keb’ Mo has a ton of nice and easy bluesy stuff, also very well put together and supremely recorded.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
For me it would be the Sensational Nightingales, but that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for, nor does John Scofield's "A Moment's Peace", though you might try it. Norah Jones' stuff is generally pretty mellow (her live album is a little more hard hitting), though there's plenty there worth paying attention to. More toward the jazz side, Shirley Horne does mellow very well; if I had to recommend one, "Light out of Darkness", a Ray Charles tribute, might be to your taste. J.J. Cale's the man for laid back rock and roll. John Prine could be your guy, but I can't recommend a specific album. Emmy Lou Harris's gospel album "Angel Band" could fit the bill.

Last edited:

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
Pau Casal's original recording of Bach's "Cello Suites".

"The Alternative Wes Montgomery".

And this 1972 concert performance featuring Ravi Shankar and Ali Akbar Khan.

Last edited:

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Music_for_Airports.jpg

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
The Milk Carton Kids are great for when I want to relax, but Tycho and Bonobo are my go-to’s.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Beck's "Sea Change" is very, very mellow and is probly the best album so far this century.

Sean Lennon's "Friendly Fire" is shockingly good little pop blast.

James Iha's "Let It Come Down" is a great 70s soft-rock inspired pop album.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
There is this band called Eastmountainsouth that has some real nice stuff. Calm and relaxing.

Lately I have been listening to Amy Helm (yes, Levon's daughter) who I think is really good.

And for real throwback stripped down country/folk, it's hard to beat Gillan Welch.