1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can anyone recommend a good bridge without raised edges?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Fiesta Red Tele, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Fiesta Red Tele

Fiesta Red Tele TDPRI Member

I have a Custom Shop '52 NOS Fiesta Red as in the pics, I am looking for advice on a replacement bridge without the edges, i.e. flat. Anyone tried something which did not change the sound drastically?

Many thanks New Fender Custom Shop '52 Telecater Fiesta Red.jpg

Lefty Addams, scook and Erebia like this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful guitar!

That’s all I wanted to say plus I only change the saddles and the saddles screws to shorter ones to smooth the palm muting experience.

3. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Gotoh = the mounting & string holes line up i prefer their 6 saddle version for better intonation
    gotoh-modern-bridge-for-tele.jpg

FenderGuy53, Doctorx33 and Nick Fanis like this.
  4. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Personally, I wouldn't change the bridge. ('Everything affects everything' - Paul Reed Smith)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  5. Fiesta Red Tele

Fiesta Red Tele TDPRI Member

That's why I asked I am very afraid to lose the current "spanky" sound this guitar has, but the raised edges annoy me when I play with finger style instead of using a pick as I do arpeggios, my index finger keeps getting caught on the raised edge when trying to pluck the high E. grrr...

Someone else recommended me to get a Babicz Bridge because it replaces the loss mass from the edges on the plate itself as it is built slightly thicker. see attached pic. Apparently Billy Gibbons uses one on his Tele
    11323117_800.jpg

6. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Don't worry,you won't :) the Gotoh bridge "spanks" fine.

Is the Gotoh Tele Bridge "twangy" enough?

8. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

I like my Am Pro bridge.

gsdrgsxr likes this.
  9. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

They'd probably do the job well without affecting cosmetics too much. A reversible mod, if a sale was needed in the future.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

BFDE849A-FC8D-4577-90D6-88C52232101A.jpeg A4A64A7A-059F-4FF3-A639-4731BDC0168E.jpeg
    Wow what a beauty!

While you can now put a wider modern bridge on a vintage spec guitar, the new bridge is a different shape because the side lip was the structure of the bridge allowing it to have the slimmer sleeker shape, which is part of the whole look.

There are bridges that lose the raised edge without changing the shape and appearance of the guitar, and without going to the seemingly convenient modern bridge design.
    If you can afford such a nice guitar you can also afford a cheap MIM modern Tele, and then know if you prefer modern Tele style.
    If you bought such a nice vintage style Tele you must like that?
    Here’s one example of a low side bridge plate that isn’t made extra wide, so keeps the vintage look 100%.
    IMO changing to the modern bridge totally changes the look and playing feel of the guitar.

While it can be argued that a modern bridge still allows you to get a Tele twang, you can get a Tele twang on a Les Paul with HBs.
    The modern bridge does change the sound, so you lose something to gain something else.
    What exactly do you want to gain?
    Bear in mind that the modern plate has no lip, but is thicker, so the height of the side of the plate off the body is not a whole lot lower than the sides of one of many ash tray types with lowered sides, which are a much thinner plate than the thick modern plate.

Note also that many players who are bothered by the sides of the plate because they hit it with fingers or pick, manage to solve the issue with only a setup change, like shim the neck angle to raise the action further above the sides. Reducing excessive neck relief also gets the strings higher above the sides of the plate.
    Combine a good setup to suit your playing with a lowered sides vintage style three saddle ash tray and you get all you wanted without losing anything the vintage plate delivers in tone, attack and feel.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    cjp60 and RoyBGood like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

How long have you had the Tele and who did the setup for you?

You have a setup issue!
    While you may need to lower the sides of the plate a little to get it playing right, there's a good chance a qualified tech can listen and watch then fix your setup issue without going to a modern bridge.
    Billy has little or no interest in Tele tone!
    I didn't know he allegedly uses a Babicz, but the plate I pictured is the one he requested Glendale make for him.

While many do our own setups, I read over and over that hobby techs assume pro techs have no skills or knowledge beyond the hobbyist. And the aftermarket parts companies benefit from players who are told on the internet that they need to mod their Tele to make it work for them!
    If you haven't had a setup done for your playing style, you need to find how well it can work for you before tossing out the baby with the bathwater.

12. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I really like the Fender 6-saddle bridge which is on my #1 - a 2002 American Series Tele. This may be heresy, but I prefer it to the usual 3-saddle bridge found on most Teles. This is the bridge that came with that model at that time, and this is my best sounding Tele.

Chrome Red Tele Avatar.jpg

sleeperNY likes this.
  13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

This is my favourite replacement bridge for vintage style bridges but it will significantly change the unplugged sound of the guitar. The changes to the out the amp sound will be minimal but there.

Unplugged the guitar will be far less resonant. I dislike vintage style bridges for a few reasons but have to admit unplugged they sound much better. There are "chopped" alternatives that have that ridge removed that are a pretty good compromise.

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

15. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I do all my bass players mods & or set ups. I've installed the Babicz bridge on a couple of his basses & they are great. I do think they as well as most modern style bridges will alter your tone (at least unplugged). I doubt there will be a massive change to your out the amp tone.

16. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

I like the Joe Barden bridge. It has just one side cut. Otherwise looks like a normal ash tray.

scook likes this.
  17. rockcandy

rockcandy TDPRI Member

18. rockcandy

rockcandy TDPRI Member

I installed a babitz full contact bridge on my tele.bass. Nice and smooth. Best mod. I ever did. Super adjustable.looks awsome too. Check it out.

19. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

It works well, if you're into a modern clean look. It has a unique cam saddle design that is extremely versatile and accurate. It's not a cheap piece of hardware, but it works great. Billy Gibbons uses the humbucker version, which tends to be a bit tight for covered pickups. The single pup version is flawless.

20. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

I really like the CS RSD bridge if could manage to find one available.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.