Can anyone identify this cab / speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by pblanton, Jul 23, 2021.

1. pblanton

pblanton TDPRI Member

I bought two of these 4x10 cabs for $75 for the pair. I've tried to look for the speaker brand and have had no luck. The closest I got was an old ad on Reverb for a Hohner amp with one of these speakers in it. (https://reverb.com/item/28469569-hohner-105-solid-state-guitar-amp). That Hohner amp does have that same, empty "If you write to us" sticker on the back, so it may be a set of Hohner 4x10 cabs. The grille cloth seems to match as well, but I cannot find any information on Hohner cabs online either.

These speakers sound great and I was thinking about taking them out of one of the cabinets and building two smaller 2x10 cabinets with them, and then selling the large empty cabinet on CL.

The cabinet itself is in good shape even though its made out of particleboard. The biggest downside is that the cabinet is sealed up and the back is not removable, but the front grilles do pop out, providing access to the screws that hold the speakers in place.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to just flip them and look for some other speakers, but I'd really like to know what these are first.

By the way, I just brought this one in from my shop storage room and that's mostly spider webs and only a few scuffs.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  2. pblanton

pblanton TDPRI Member

I found the same'ish sticker on pictures of a "vintage" Marlboro amp.

[​IMG]

https://marlboroamplifiers.blogspot.com/2011/02/

The Marlboro sticker is identical, except it has the Marlboro branding at the bottom and the numbers in the boxes aren't handwritten. But I'm still not able to find any information about these speaker cabinets online.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

MICA (Musical Instruments Corp of America) was a 1970s distributor that had several brands including MICA-Tone and Marlboro Sound Works. They supplied amps, mics, speakers, and sound effects.

4. pblanton

pblanton TDPRI Member

Thanks!

Were their products any good? Any idea what these cabs are worth?

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

pics in post #1 dont work for me

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.