1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can Anyone Help me Date/Estimate Value on my Unique Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by KyleSzalayMusic, Nov 7, 2017.

1. KyleSzalayMusic

KyleSzalayMusic TDPRI Member

Oh gotcha.
    Yes that makes sense, the back of the pickguard also had quite a bit of paint on it

2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Does it play/sound good? If so then play the cr*p out of that thing, still probably worth about $2000/$2500 in that shape but just enjoy it, that's the most important thing!

t guitar floyd and telemnemonics like this.
  3. KyleSzalayMusic

Also, not to be in denial.

But is it possible that being in the trunk of a hot car so often, the paint could have become loose and bonded to the neck and the crack in wood when cooled?
    Instead of having a refinish in its passed?

It's just I never heard of this guitar having a refinish so I am curious about it.

4. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I found this pic where you can see the part between the neck pocket and pickup ready to break. Same crackline! It's pretty usual. But fender wouldn't have sold a new guitar with a missing chunk of wood, I guess. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

If the guitar was regularily played trough the '70s, it's no wonder there are some repairs or modifications. It may be less "original" for a collector, but it's the story of this guitar that is unique.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. ScottJPatrick

Eh....no, sorry but just no. Paint might soften but there's no way it would have covered that split in the neck cavity. The refinish looks like an old one, could have happened a very long time ago, these details got lost with your grandfather, enjoy what you have and it's heritage.

6. ScottJPatrick

Come on guys, help this kid out, his heart is definitely in the right place. This was written/uploaded after the recent Las Vegas shootings.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

In addition to the paint where the chunk of wood is missing, originally they were screwed to a stick in the spray booth, which kept paint out of the middle of the neck pocket. 100% certain refin.
    There being no stamp at all on the neck heel is too bad, seems like it was sanded off at some point. This means there is no way to date the neck.
    The lack of the diagonal rout in the body pretty much eliminates the possibility of it being before 1970.
    The replaced bridge pickup tops it off as being a cool player guitar without collector value messing up the fun.
    I love collector grade Fenders, but am not up for the responsibility.
    Guitars are tools, not display items!

t guitar floyd and hrstrat57 like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

We had a long long thread this year where a new member literally had Grandpas Tele, and the guitar had had pretty much every part replaced except the neck.
    The family story was that they got it new and nothing had ever been done to it.

Grandpas got secrets?
    Never!

9. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

It looks like you can get a right angle screwdriver and adjust the truss rod without taking off the neck. I cut away the original pickguard on my vintage strat so I could tweak my old neck without pulling it.

So there is that. Plus burgundy mist is so cool! OP I love your guitar! Wear it out in gramps memory! Keep it around your neck at all times during gigs! Don’t leave it on stage. That’s what I did! Spilled a few beverages on her a bit so I always had my lil towel handy too!!

:)

Thanks again for sharing!!

If I liked the way your tele played, felt and sounded it would prob be worth $4-$5k to me btw. Again, way way cool!!!

[emoji41]

10. KyleSzalayMusic

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the song!
    I am a bit surprised you found it. Feedback?

Sweet this is awesome.
    So I am believing I have a 1970 or 71 Telecaster, which at some point was refinished with Burgundy Mist.
    Super cool!

and yes this is genuinely the best feeling/sounding electric I have gotten my hands on so far. I do always seem to favor Fenders and Martin Acoustics though haha.

The only thing I still have a question about is what does the F700 stamp on the neck mean along with the figure 8 pencil mark if anything?

11. KyleSzalayMusic

Thank you sir! I plan on it all with this one!

12. ScottJPatrick

Kyle, I'm 7 hours ahead of you, time for bed over here! Will check back in the morning, feedback on the song/video? Positive!

13. KyleSzalayMusic

The questions are open to anyone who can have an answer haha

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  14. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

OP might enjoy this little video. Half way through he talks about his Tele courtesy of Grandfather

He’s a decent player......

:)

The “Middle of the Road “ solo (perhaps my fav solo ever?)

Yep this tele right here!

Bit off topic but ....

KyleSzalayMusic and pcasarona like this.
  15. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

Loved the Pretenders when I was in High School and still listen to them occasionally! I have always thought my '78 Custom was the best Tele I've ever laid hands on and now I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks the 70s Tele's are completely underrated. He took the words out of my mouth when he said his '76 was the last guitar he would ever sell. I feel the same way.

16. KyleSzalayMusic

Cool video. Never got into The Pretenders. Very 80's vibe.
    I enjoy listening and try to incorporate my stuff into the classics of blues and rock. B.B King, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Hendrix, Clapton.
    Can't beat them.

Present time really enjoy John Mayer's albums and live performances. That dude shreds like nobody else alive under the age of 50.

This video really caught my eye today of Mayer covering classic Bob Dylan. Really amazing.
    Skip to 4:20 if you don't want to watch the whole cover.

17. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Hi 71Tele,

What do you mean about wrong body shape? Are you referring to the neck pocket notch area? Thanks!

To Kyle -

Beautiful guitar man, that's a keeper for sure! I love these storeys, hopefully you can pass it down to your grandkids someday!

KyleSzalayMusic likes this.
  18. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

James Honeyman-Scott (Pretenders original guitarist) is worth seeking out. He played on the first two albums before passing on way too young. Brilliant guitarist.

Oh, and nice Tele! Enjoy it.

- D

KyleSzalayMusic and pcasarona like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.