1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can Anyone Help me Date/Estimate Value on my Unique Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by KyleSzalayMusic, Nov 7, 2017.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Simply removing the guard could help nail down a closer date.
    If it is a 69 it should probably have the diagonal rout and truss access with the heel stamp partly visible.
    Not sure but by 72 or so the black date stamp had changed to a green code that was not as easily deciphered.

2. telemnemonics

Gotta love those flash pictures in a dark room!
    Looks more burgundy to me.

3. KyleSzalayMusic

KyleSzalayMusic TDPRI Member

I will post more pictures in an hour when I am home.

This is burgundy mist.
    Thank you all for the information.

Now that you've pointed it out it does look like an added string tree

4. telemnemonics

Straight on pics, not taken from an angle, are helpful.
    Closer pic of the front view of the low E string side of the cutaway (this one taken from an angle) will help narrow it down by eliminating 73 and later.
    Under the guard might help also, but the stamp on the neck heel should nail it.
    That said, if you want a true value, you will need to authenticate the body as well as the neck, so neck pocket, pickup routs, close up pics of the pots which have date codes in the numbers as well as evidence that the solder joints are original so it's not a parts guitar, close up pics of the pickups; and a buyer paying collector prices might want to see the date stamp on the bottom of the bridge pickup hidden by the metal base plate.

Clearly it's a nice vintage Tele, but actual collector value is a picky business.
    Neck plate serial numbers were not applied consecutively and can vary a couple of years. Plus they can be changed, even by accident during a setup or repair.
    Back in the 70s nobody knew these would be collectors items, so changes were routinely made.
    A big part of the value of "all original" guitars is the fact that most that look original in pictures are really not all original. Once anything is suspect, everything becomes suspect. To get $10k you will probably need to pay somebody like Gruhn for written authentication. Gruhn used to do authentication with pictures, but stopped because he got fooled enough times that he now must do in hand fully disassembled inspection to authenticate a vintage guitar.
    If Gruhn can be fooled, so can we.

I have a 7? Tele neck with "added string tree" that I want to believe is a 1971.
    The green date code is smeared, and I have yet to convince anyone that the string tree was added. Sure looks that way though and I tried!
    The trees are not exactly the same!!!
    Dang, why did someone have to go and drill that tiny little hole?

5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Burgundy Mist for sure. Glad the OP is never selling because the value is priceless as it was gramps. Play it every day and honor his memory by becoming a top player.

YouTube is your friend - free chops given gladly by top notch talent is everywhere! What a time to be 18 and have a killer Telecaster!!!

Thanks for sharing the pics. You’ll have to tear it down to get a value or have an appraisal done.

I’d just play it including the renegade string tree gramps oddly stuck on there!

6. telemnemonics

Actually I'm going to change my tune on the string tree because it is in the wrong place. Almost certainly added, making the neck no newer than early 72 when the second string tree was added in a different spot, where this neck has no hole or tree.

7. KyleSzalayMusic

Here are more pictures.

Attached Files:

badfish_lewis likes this.
  8. KyleSzalayMusic

Yes I'm pretty sure this is a burgundy mist

9. KyleSzalayMusic

Im very lucky and grateful to have it!
    Of course to priceless personally to sell.
    This guitar is definently my most prized possession and I play everyday and plan to the rest of my life. I take it to every show I can play electric.
    I never bothered to look this guitar up for exact year and price until my engineer pointed out he has never seen a maple neck on a red tele before. I always new this is a late 60's early 70's from serial.

Makes me wish I asked these questions to Grandpa before this was mine. I know he was the only owner but that is it.

Im really enjoying this conversation now I am very interested in the specifics of my Tele!

Let me know if anyone needs anymore pictures or has any questions about it I could potentially help with.
    Thanks for the help.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  10. KyleSzalayMusic

Looking up close the extra string tree definently looks added on

11. telemnemonics

So far it seems clear that it is no newer than early 72, but removing the guard could put it before 1970 if it has the diagonal rout between the pickups.

Both happily and sadly, if it has the rout and is all original, you'll want to treat it differently at shows, not leaving it unattended ever at all even for a moment.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

While removing the neck can introduce problems, it's easy to get into the control cavity. Then get good close pictures of the numbers on the pots.

13. KyleSzalayMusic

What problems?

14. telemnemonics

Agreed that's worth doing, but pots get changed, and I forget how long it lasted but there were quite a few years after the mid 60s that all Fenders had pots from the same year batch of '65 or thereabouts.

15. telemnemonics

Really the only concern is cross threading the screws when you put the neck back on.
    Gently back turn each screw until you feel it drop into the previously cut threads in the neck hole, then screw it in a little bit, until all screws are started and turn easily.
    Then gradually tighten a little at a time in sequence.

16. KyleSzalayMusic

I cant find any marking on the heel of the neck?
    There is some kind of figure 8 on the back of the neck and Stamp that says F 700

What does this mean?

Attached Files:

17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Well u might as well carefully pull the pickguard and take tons of pics, esp closeups of the electronics!!

It’s getting more gorgeous as we go!

:)

18. KyleSzalayMusic

Operation was a success

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. KyleSzalayMusic

If I do this,
    Would I be looking for a date or would you just be able to tell from electronics what year?
    Also any idea about the no heel marking/ figure 8 and F 700?

20. KyleSzalayMusic

Are these good enough pictures?

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.