Can anybody recommend a good attenuator?

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
I use a Two Notes Torpedo Captor but connect the silent output into my acoustic amp so I can keep the volume right down.
The Two notes does attenuate but by 20dB which is fine sometimes but not adequate for a UK Victorian semi-detached house if you wish to remain on good terms with next door.

bblumentritt

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Get an amp that can get that cranked sound at any volume, including low volume. I build a 1 Watt JCM800 style amp and it's surprisingly loud, until you turn the master volume down...

skipwave

TDPRI Member
I use a Weber Mini Mass. It preserves amp tone.

Mine is rated 50W and I use it with 50 and 60 watt amps but never open the amp volume all the way up. The Mini Mass chassis gets hot but hasn’t burned up yet.

Axegrinder77

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Yeah, forget the attenuator and go with load box/cab sim.

I love tube amps but if you need to play at acceptable volume levels, cab sim plus monitors are the best option.

I have both an attenuator and a captor x. I like both. I prefer the attenuator route - most real sounding. But a good load box with ir is a great compromise. Highly recommend the captor x. Perhaps I'd love it even more if I had better quality monitors.. this set up gets expensive!

A lot depends on volume levels sought...

When there's nobody home, I use just the amp -drri with some attenuation and a volume pedal last in chain with a buffer in front of it.

If I need lower volume, ie wife is home or its very late etc, this is where the captor x shines. Into my mixer and out the monitors or headphones. The captor also has many cool features and is perfect to record with. Very good investment. It has a built in attenuator, albeit not too versatile - 20db (a lot) and 38db (too much generally). But the 20db kinda works well for bedroom volume with the DRRI. I have a brake lite on there on the low setting as well. Don't underestimate the volume pedal... Just make sure you have a buffer before it, otherwise it will bleed treble like your guitar volume knob. If on a budget, I'd start there. Super useful to have anyways.

Last edited:

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have the Harley Benton version of the Jet City Jettenuator, also known as the Bugera PS1
Is it the bog's dollocks?, no. Does it goof your sound up?, no. Well, not much. Most of the damage is done by those pesky fellas Fletcher & Munson. Some is done by the relative lack of push-back by the speaker motor. This does affect the output transformer. A resistor is pretty much linear across the audio frequencies. A voice coil isn't. This lack of push-back may trouble you, but Fletcher-Munson will bug you. An EQ pedal can help here. Think 'loudness' controls on 70's & 80's mid-fi for the shape of the sliders. Overcomes a lot.
You can take the D.I or line-out and run that into a cab-sim and flat response speakers, which is a nice sound, too.
One of the older guitar web sites had a user review section ( Harmony Central? ) and the question at the end was 'If it was stolen, would you buy again' ( paraphrasing beyond acceptable limits ) If my attenuator went walkies, or I burned it out, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

stratoman1

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The only amp I have that needs taming is the Mesa Rectoverb. It needs to be opened up to sound good. I tried spinning all the knobs but the only answer was a volume pedal in the loop. Cost about 45 bucks

madhermit

TDPRI Member
I have a few attenuators.

I have the inexpensive Carl’s Custom 40 Watt box. It’s meh.

I have a Boss TAE. It’s excellent, but quite expensive. I have it paired up with a DeLisle 7x7 amp switcher and they make an incredible pair!

I just got an Audiostorm HotBox 60i MkV2 shipped from England for my clone Bassman 1x12 combo that is VERY loud. It sounds/feels very good. It is a reactive load. It only has 2 settings though, -10dB and -18dB. I wish it had a -6dB as -10dB might be too much volume reduction for the least amount of attenuation this device can do.

brashboy

Tele-Meister
The Weber Mass and Minimass use speaker motors - basically a speaker without a cone - so the load on the amp reacts like a speaker.
Reactive loading can also be done electronically - like the Universal Audio Ox - but these are much more expensive.
I like the sounds I get from my Minimass. Be sure to get the unit rated for the power of your amp.

This looks like an intriguing possibility as a more affordable electronic reactive load and speaker simulator
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ptor-reactive-loadbox-di-and-attenuator-8-ohm
Great if 8 ohms will do it.

CRMCRM

Tele-Meister
A couple of folks have mentioned putting a volume pedal in the effects loop (assuming that the amp has one). You might try something like a Boss GE7 instead. That might let you make some adjustments to the tone. I haven't tried this. Just a thought.

1Mudman

TDPRI Member
It may be better to buy a smaller 5 or 10 watt amp. On a decent 10 watt you probably wont turn it higher than 3 or 3 1/2 with a decent overdrive pedal or other effect. I have several and actually Im using a 10W Donner on the clean side with a overdrive. The boost button will run you out of the room on its own. Sounds pretty good, not like a good tube amp but for $70 bucks but it is surprisingly good. My wife still raises hell about me playing too loud!

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
When people talk about attenuation,
This hot plate cooking a brvv is what I think of…

Crawldaddy

Tele-Holic
I own the Weber Mass III and MiniMass. Mass III goes up to 150W, and I've used it on 50 watt amps with no sweat. The MiniMass goes up to 50W, and works nicely with my Fender Pro Jr IV, Supro Dual Tone, 6G3 clone and Mesa Boogie ROV25 amplifiers.

Even though the Mass III is heavier and larger, I much prefer it vs the MiniMass due to its flexibility in shaping tone; the MiniMass mainly allows for overall attenuation and a 3-way treble compensation, of which the 6db boost seems rather unnatural, I wish it had a knob like its bigger sibling.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Probably applies to any attenuator, since the speaker is not being driven hard.

Try a couple out, I've had a Marshall Power Brake, a Scholz (whatever they are called), and a Dr Z. I kind of hated em all, they are all right for practicing, I guess, but I'd rather just crank up a champ at home for sure. With a band, I really hated all of them, but that's just me.