1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can any of you tell what kind of speakers I have in a cabinet by looks?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FortyEight, Nov 17, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

A while back I posted about a laney amp and cabinet my drummer had. I opened up the back of the cabinet just to see what's in there.

I went online to the Laney website and didn't see an email. There's a phone number and I guess I should call and see if they have an email but I figured I'd ask here...

I will post pics....

They are marked:

12267 8ohm 67-92430101 G1'

The magnets look big but there's no distinguishing marks. Plus they look really new and the outside of the cabinet is beat to heck. So I'm kind of curious if they are replacements....

I'm also having a real difficult time finding any sounds I like. I thought the fact that it was a tube amp it would sound warm and nice. But to me it sounds thin and gritty. I've spent some time and just am not warming up to it at all. I thought maybe the tubes may need servicing but they also look brand new.... Maybe?

Attached Files:

2. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Contact Eminence with all the number info from the speakers.
    Label looks like theirs.

info@eminence.com

mfguitar and telemnemonics like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm going to guess those tubes did not come in the amp, and whoever replace the originals did not reset the bias.
    Cold bias sounds thin and maybe gritty if the preamp gain is up.
    Speaker labels do indeed look like Eminence.

Wally likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Wow, thanks guys!!! Are eminence good speakers?

telemnemonics, is there a way to change that to a warmer sound?

6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For one thing you do have the amp set to 8ohms and you have to make sure that your 4 8ohm speakers are wired correctly to achieve 8 ohms in total. Just because it is a tube amp does not mean it will be all warm and cuddly, there are other considerations. Eminence is a large player in the OEM market, they do market some step up speakers as well but these look like standard issue. You really cannot tell much about the tubes by looking at them.

7. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Thank you mfguitar. I don't have a lot of experience with tube amps. Although the last two amps I had in the 90s when I was playing in rock bands were peavey tube amps. One was a classic 50 and another was a more metal sounding one that was a 2x12 with a black grate front. I don't remember the model. I did like the sound of both of them very much. The classic was pretty warm sounding.

My amps right now are all solid state. Besides that one. Vox Cambridge 15, Fender Rumble 40 gen III, Rumble 100 Gen II and a crappy Fender, Oh I forget the name of it. One of those dinky ones sold in a pack. SP-10. Yeah.

I think my Vox sounds waaaay better than the laney. Light years. But I might be doing something wrong.

8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

From this Eminence web page, - it says the following:

"If you don’t see your speaker listed on our website, then it is one that we “custom-made”. Until January 2000 when we debuted our own “Genuine Eminence” distribution line, Eminence Speaker only made custom designed speakers for companies who loaded them in cabinets or sold them as “raw” drivers. We don’t assign model numbers to custom speakers. All of our OEM speakers are identified by their spec number. We attach a small label to either the side of the magnet or the inside one of the basket arms with our spec number and manufacturing date code on it. The spec number will begin with the size of the speaker (i.e. for a 10″ it would be 101123). The manufacturing/date code number is as follows:

EIA# for ESC Year Week Serial # Metal Group
    67 -01 12A 0217 G1

The “67” tells you that the speaker was built by Eminence, the “01” indicates that the speaker was built in 2001, and the “12” means it was built the 12th week of the year."

So your particular speaker looks to be:
    • built in 1992
    • built in the 43rd week of the year
    • spec number is 12267 - I'm guessing Eminence provided this same 12" OEM speaker to other manufacturers in addition to Laney, at least back in the 90's
    Next, I did a search for Eminence spec number 12267, and found the following link for an aftermarket DIY recone kit for it:

https://reconingspeakers.com/product/eminence-12267-12-aftermarket-diy-recone-kit/

Here's some of the specs:
    • Cone: 12″ outside diameter, 3.0″ depth, 1.75″ vc opening (open to 2″) cloth surround
    • Voice Coil: 2.015″ inside diameter, 1.625″ VC form length, .625″ windings width, 8 ohm
    • Cup Spider: 5.948″ wide with 2″ VC opening, .625″ cup height
    • Cup Spider: 4.635″ wide with 2″ VC opening, .280″ cup height
    • Dustcap: felt 4.5″ wide, lip up
    The two different cup spiders seems to indicate that the 12267 came in two different basket configurations. You might be able to throw a tape measure on the basket backside, and maybe be able to tell which of the two spiders that yours uses.

You could probably also figure out which standard Eminence speaker your 12267 might be most similar to, by checking their different ceramic 12 specs for speakers with a 2" voice coil and 4.5" felt dust cap.

Edited to add - the Eminence Texas Heat is a 12" with a 2" voice coil and fairly big felt dust cap. So it looks like that's at least one Eminence speaker that's at least a partial relative of (or descendant to) the OEM 12267.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Mexitele Blues likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Forty eight, do you have a multimeter with which you could check the impedance of that cab? That can be done by reading the resistance across the tip and ring of a cable that is plugged into the cab. This is important for any amp. If you ascertain the impedance and if your Vox accepts that impedance..and IF you can run this cab from a Jack on that Vox, then check out how these speakers sound with the Vox. FYI, solid state amps have a minimum impedance limit. It will be on the back of your amp. Do not run a lower impedance than that or you put the amp at extreme risk. Running higher impedances is fine with the only consequence being a reduction in output power as one increases the speaker load’s impedance. A tube amp will have an impedance...or multiple impedances that the OT will work with. A matched load is preferable in all cases, but a mismatch to 50% lower or 100% higher than the Output transformer’s impedance is usually tolerated, with going high being more dangerous for the output transformer’s secondary winding especially if the amp is pushed hard. Mismatching to the low side outs the stress on the power tubes.
    Most eminence are good speakers. Eminence will tell you if that speaker is a production speaker and what the specs are. If it is a custom OEM speaker, they will not give you the specs but will give you an idea what regular production speaker sounds close to those.
    That laney should not sound thin. I would suggest not running it until you can ascertain the impedance of the cab. Since it has been rewired with non-original speakers, one wants to understand what is going on. I have heard certain OEM eminence speakers that were thin and harsh. Regular production Eminence speakers have a never presented that type of sonic, ime.
    got a tech? You need one if you are going to continue playing through this Laney. I will observe that drummers are even worse than guitarists and bassists when it comes to dealing with the details of amplification.
    good luck.

FortyEight likes this.
  10. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how to get at the front of them, I think Id have to take them out... unscrew them. I think you don't go forward with them but backwards.... That's probably how all speakers are eh? LOL. I've never taken one apart I don't think. Not that I remember. I'm getting old.

The other thing is I'm not sure how to know how to tell if they are wired correctly to use the head in the 8ohm setting. I did watch a vid the other day and I know if it's in series it's different than parallel but I forget what is the deal. I guess I have to watch it again.... I didn't think to take a picture of the wiring specifically when I had it open.

Thanks a ton for that info 11 Gauge. That was mighty nice of you. I think I was trying to determine if they are good enough speakers to invest in a head I like better than the one it came with. Although if I could get that one to sound how I like that could be good too. But for now I'm at a loss getting sounds I feel are good out of it.

11. Wally

You don’t have to take the cab apart to know the impedance. And....that thin sound could indicate that the cab is wired out of phase.
    If the cab is front loaded, I would suggest you find someone with some experience to help you with this. In fact, I feel the same about it if the cab has a back panel that can be removed.

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

@Wally yeah I have a multimeter. In fact I just put it down in a dresser that is in my music room. I'm not real versed at how to use them. What setting do I put it on? I should get it and show you it I guess.. Hang on...

Wally likes this.
  13. Wally

Aha...I looked at the pics....backloaded speakers.
    If you get a meter reading, the you are interested in the phase issue. A 9 volt battery with some leads will give you a way to check the phase. Again, with a cable plugged into the cab, touch the ring of the plug on the other end of cable with the negative of the battery. Then, swipe the positive battery lead across the tip of the plug for a momentary connection. Watch the cone of each speaker when you do this. The cone will move forward or backward. If it moves forward, then that speaker is reacting properly. Do all speakers move in the same direction? If not, then the speakers have phase issues and are cancelling each other out....thin, harsh sound.

Blue Bill and telemnemonics like this.
  14. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I don't know for sure if the originals were taken out. I just thought there was a chance of that cuz my googling showed these amps were a limited run in 1987... but they production may have lasted past that year. So they could be original.....

Attached Files:

15. Wally

Laney being an English company, I am going to doubt that these 1992 Eminence speakers are original. Fwiw, those transformers have date codes on them as well. That info would give you a good clue as to when the amp was built. what does that meter read for tat speaker circuit?

16. Wally

You need to read ohms...the 200 ohm range will get it done.

17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Let me see if I can get a reading.........

18. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

when I get the numbers to stop moving around it says 12. On both the 200 and 2000 setting.

I tried it several times with the feelers switched and that's what I get most consistently. I'm assuming this means it's not wired properly?

I have hooked up my vox to it and I like the sound of it a crap ton better than the laney amp. But I'm not sure I like it any more than the 8" speaker for recording. It does give it a way bigger sound for playing live though.

If that's the case that it's not wired correctly I wonder if I unplugged all of them except 1 speaker and put some electrical tape over the connectors and see what 1 speaker would sound like..... ???

19. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

If they are all 8 ohm drivers, then it sounds like a wiring issue if you're getting a reading of 12 ohms. Or maybe a voice coil problem.

Series/parallel should give you ~8 ohms.

All four in parallel should give you ~2 ohms.

Again, this assumes all four are indeed 8 ohms, and none have faulty voice coils.

I'd personally start by checking all four decals to verify all of them are 8 ohms, and then I'd measure each one separately. You'll need to temporarily remove the wires to each one's terminals, so I'd check them one at a time.

Edited to add - it almost looks like all four are wired in series, going by the one picture. That would be 32 ohms, so again - some kind of issue, if that's the case.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Wally likes this.
  20. Wally

Okay...so...the drummer wired this cab up??? LOL.....
    I cannot figure out...read: don’t want to take the time to try to figure out.....how those speakers are wired except to say that they are miswired IF that 12 ohm reading is correct. +1 with 11gauge on checking each speaker’s resistance....an 8 ohm should read in the 6 ohm range usually. Don’t worry about the wiring...it is not correct and should not be used. Fwiw, the only way that those speakers could read 12-16 ohms would be if two of them are in series and the other two are not actually in the circuit for some reason. That reason would be a bad wiring job.
    If they are all 8 ohm speakers, then they need to be wired in series/parallel for an 8 ohm load. Hopefully the amp has a multitap OT on which you can select 8 ohms or is looking for an 8 ohm load. If not, then the speakers are not applicable to this amp.

Here is a pictorial representation of a series/parallel circuit for 4 speakers...

C5B238FA-EB79-4DE3-905D-05E5BD0450AD.jpeg

LPTyler likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.