Can any cab builders give me advice?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeweyPeek, Feb 7, 2015.

1. DeweyPeek

DeweyPeek Tele-Holic

I'm going to order a new speaker cabinet from sourmash guitar cabs. I've had two of them and love their quality and price, and he can build me whatever I want.

I want another 2x12 cab, but vertical. It will be wide to fit my marshall head on top (small box plexi). Now, angled or straight? We are a very loud band. I will use my creamback speakers and need to cut through. People always swear by straight cabs. Would both speakers on a slightly tilted baffle be the best of both worlds?

Thanks in advance :)

2. DeweyPeek

DeweyPeek Tele-Holic

Also: which is less beamy? It will be a closed back cah we don't play very large rooms often so I rarely get mic'd up

3. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

Slant vs straight is just personal preference in my opinion. Whichever you prefer.

As far as being "beamy", I think just about any closed back cab is that way in my experience. Especially vertical cabs. Maybe try placing your cab further back on the stage and toward the outside slightly angled inward. That can help cut down on the beam effect.

4. DeweyPeek

DeweyPeek Tele-Holic

Thanks for the response. Anyone else have some opinions?

5. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

I have to second the opinion about closed cabs being beamy. It's just their nature. You'll find that the dimensions are not crucial. Just check the wildly varying dimensions of all the cabinets out there for sale. All of them are different, but they all work. I'd suggest a few different things. Pick one...

An open back cab
    or
    A cab that you can put on or remove part of the back (a convertible) - I think Sourmash does offer this option.
    or
    Aim the cab at the wall and use the reflection to spread the sound

6. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Not all closed back are beamy. I find those to be extra deep, disperse sound very well

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.