1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can a Telecaster be too "Pretty"?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by boris bubbanov, Mar 4, 2011.

1. daddyo

daddyo TDPRI Member

its the quilt!

greetings boris, i own a custom handmade tele made by zane obrien of legend guitars here in nova-scotia .my wife bought it last summer as a gift for my 50th birthday. i have a rep for loving flashy guitars and am not scared of a little sparkle. my legend is the best playing , sounding guitar i have ever owned but it has taken me along time to bond with her and at first i didnt know why. its the quilting! ilve exessive flame and metallic finishes ala buck owens but the quilt doesnt set well for some reason no matter what the color. im getting over it as i play it in (allmost a year now). my advice is to play the shine off it and make it your own. some honest wear goes along way in my books.

2. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Bubba,
    The only thing I would recommend is add a standard pickguard to it. The one makes me go..eh....Sorry not trying to be critical.

3. Jeff H

Jeff H Tele-Meister

What about a slightly ambered pickguard for the quilt queen ? Bevelled of course.

I like the idea of "regal" for this ....

I agree with no gold.. somehow I think that would be "cheezy', however , black...?
    I think so. Elegant and understated and to let the quilt be the focal point and not detract from its beauty.

4. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

It's akin to asking random strangers,"what food would I really like"?

Your own gut supplies the real answer.

5. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

This one is very "elegant".

[​IMG]

Tony laid-in the Abalone by himself. I love the way it came out.

6. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Here's my feeling about real pretty guitars---If you have one, you better be able to play the heck out of it. Same with a guitar that has a great name. It seems pretentious to me if you have a gorgeous guitar named Betsy Lou but you're struggling to play an A chord.
    Just my view...

7. outlawyer

outlawyer Tele-Holic

Can't understand an aversion to a pretty guitar. Seems that guitar, being so popular in the rock n roll genre, is inordinately more of a fashion statement to certain types. You don't see, for example, cellists in the London Symphony Orchestra clamoring for "reliced" instruments. Who wants a "reliced" trumpet?
    Guitars are elegant instruments, they can't be "too" pretty unless the beauty comes at the expense of function. YMMV.

8. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

Spray paint it black.

9. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful guitar and fantastic photos. I'd keep it like it is. It is what you made it, and it is one really nice looking guitar. Maybe just start playing it... a lot.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't have an aversion to pretty guitars, and I'm not generally interested in "reliced" instruments, but I just think the TELE's design is so clear and coherent--simple, functional, and deadly--that there is a kind of elegance in it; "pretty" seems out of place.

11. B Valley

B Valley Tele-Afflicted

That's actually a gorgeous guitar. I don't like the pickguard shape, and that may be what's putting you off about it. I think you have to go no pickguard or a full pickguard, not somewhere in between.

I had a similar issue building this guitar. I was too busy looking without a pickguard:
    [​IMG]

12. outlawyer

outlawyer Tele-Holic

Love that cherry sunburst.
    I used to think that Telecasters weren't the best candidates for glamour treatment, but the Merle Haggard model changed all that.

13. Shorecaster

Shorecaster Tele-Holic

Same pickguard shape in a toroise shell. Start small at least and see how you feel.

14. kenfolk

kenfolk Tele-Holic

you could send that ugly old thing to me i'd be glad to take it off the wall and play it it would be the first one i'd reach for it's beautiful

15. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

I hear what you're saying, but I vote leave it as is. Prefer the maple board and your custom guard (helps set it apart from a F...er). Very elegant and not over-the-top. I had a Phil Kubicki tele with a stunning maple body and checkerboard wood binding. Absolutely gorgeous (was almost too fancy), but weighed a ton, so got rid of it. Your creation looks fabulous. If anything, I might prefer a white or parchment guard. I'm also digging my Bill Lawrence/Wilde twin blade pups (they'd look good on your rig too)... sound awesome (and no noise)...and helps give it it's own custom vibe.
    Swang on,

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  16. telewhat

telewhat Banned

Forget the Tele, I'll take the property!

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is a magnificent looking guitar!

In many ways this is a great thread for getting ideas on how to do the next few Teles. I am still hoping to do an ash bodied guitar with a black waxed finish like Steve Gibson had done a while back. And eventually I will have to do a Bigsby'd Tele, although I would like to recess the tailpiece somewhat and that will take a lot of time and concentration.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.