1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can a Telecaster be too "Pretty"?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by boris bubbanov, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

It's a lovely thing any old way,I'd have it in a heartbeat.

2. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

i say leave it like it is. looks great. someone will love it as it is.

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think it would have looked better with some binding or at least a little color on teh body.

4. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

Stop! Wait! Hold the phone!

What ever you do, do not change it. Millions of black guitars out there with white pickguards. This one is unique and absolutely gorgeous as it is. Please do not change it at all!

If you do not like playing it, hang it on the wall or transfer it to someone that will. Once again, please do not modify it! If it were mine I would rotate the control plate which is technically a mod and maybe come up with a custom strap to go along with the theme of the guitar.

5. slowlearner78

slowlearner78 Tele-Meister

Nickel cover for the neck pup. Teles never look right without one, IMHO.

I agree with those who think the flame top needs some manner of defined border for contrast. Binding would look sharp. White or black, I think either would work.

FWIW, I kinda like the pickguard shape.

6. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Leave it, play it. and love it. I think it looks fine.

It's different but that's not bad. I would sleep on any changes for a bit.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Third vote for binding.

This gal has a nice clear lacquer finish on her; If I ever found myself holding a raw body like this one once was, I could consider binding but it is way too late for it now.

I have very few guitars with binding. I don't like the way the right angle edge cuts off circulation in my arm, and I don't like the way binding tends to compromise the old '50 Leo shape - although by contrast if a body is not Leo correct (take a Warmoth T body for example), adding binding erases most of my heartburn.

I freely admit I look on a large batch of my "body finish" projects and certain colors are just not there. Blue, Green, Red, Black for the most part. If a T body is paint grade, I tend not to buy it. If I do paint it, I tend to keep redoing it, looking for something that is not there. Once redone, I tend not to complete the guitar and so, remember that Daphne Blue Tele I did that looked almost done? All apart; no knowing when it will be right.

Clearer finishes; less toned finishes are what reach fruition at Bubbanov Works. The other colors get shipped to Bubbanov Goofs Off.

8. outlawyer

outlawyer Tele-Holic

I'm with you on that. The first thing that crossed my mind before I even read anything was "wonder if it routed so a clear PG can fit." Quilted may be more "appropriate" on a different model guitar (J-200![with clear pg]) but it looks fantastic on that Tele, to me.

9. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I think it would look better with a tortiseshell pickguard or maybe a gold anodized would look good. Somehow the black seems to clash with the guitar. The more I think about it, maybe a gold anodized or at least a cream colored pickguard. Something that compliments the gold tones. If you really wanted to get carried away, I think gold hardware/pickups would look good on that guitar.

10. Nogbad

Nogbad Tele-Holic

Never been a fan of quilted finished. Looks too much like a Pimp's guitar or a PRS. ;)

11. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

Burst it. Then lose the baby seal and put a man's pickguard on it.

12. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

Boris, I like it the way it looks now. If I were to make any change, I'd put a '69 Thinline pickguard on it is three ply tort or three ply black.

13. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis TDPRI Member

i would do a black guard in the shape of the merle haggard tele guard (although tortoise might be interesting, too), nickle cover on the neck pickup, and then whatever neck sounds and feels the best, although I'm partial to rosewood.

the only thing that really looks a bit off is the shape of the guard.

14. Bud Green

Bud Green Tele-Meister

I like the pickguard, but on this fancy guitar I think it's not right. There's just too much going on. I think a standard guard would do a lot to ground it. To Esquire it is a good idea, I think.

That, or just send it to me for a relic job. It should only take three or four years...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  15. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

This is a piece of art: I vote for "Leave it as it is" :cool:.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think you're probably right. There is too much going on, visually on this guitar. The quilting is not only heavy but it is very "complicated" and inconsistent from one area to another except that both panels match well.

So many cool ideas. So much stuff to ruminate on. I may just play as it is, with the pickguard on and off and see what develops. My sense of the worth of the guitar as a whole is better than it has been in a good while.

Thanks to all! :D

17. vlada

vlada Tele-Holic

imho, and have never been a big fan of quilt maple, merle pick guard or half of a regular might roughen it looks a bit. and if you want to work on it a bit more - binding and/or light cherry burst.

18. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

It sure does.

Don't change a thing, and I love that pickguard shape. Like somebody else said, just play it.

19. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

Don't change a thing. Not only is it unique, but it's a thing of beauty.

20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

How about a leather guard, standard shape, not fancy, just tooled edges?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.