1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can a Telecaster be too "Pretty"?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by boris bubbanov, Mar 4, 2011.

1. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

There's room in this world for the rough-riders as well as the elegant guitars.

Keep it as it exists in all its quilty maple goodness.

2. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

I can see a Tele with the back and sides exactly like this one but a 3 tone burst on the front with binding to keep the two finishes from arguing with each other. :idea:

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a TRO-FAT Allparts neck I could try on there.

Even though I resist when folks try to marry alder to rosewood boards and ash to maple for "sonic" benefits, I tend to follow this same pattern for the visual aesthetics of it. I haven't been generating enough black or dark bodied (or solid color painted) guitars to satisfy my hunger for USACG bone maple necks, if I follow your methodology. I need to do more 60s looking stuff and instead I get either 50s or "modern natural" looking T's and little else.

4. boris bubbanov

Yeah. Btw it has a well matched 2 piece alder back on it, in natural.

The body is light, and went fairly cheaply as a USACG Webspecial body because the quilting gets all weird like that in that lower area beneath the bridge.

I think the guitar is caught in an identity crisis. If the quilting were all premium with no oddity to it, it'd have been sold dear. Or if there'd been voids or something, I would have done what Maxwell Street suggested and just solid colored it, or maybe sunbursted the blemished areas out of the view of the eye.
    Or more likely I would've let someone else grab it.

5. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

nahhh

[​IMG]

i like this guitar, but i'd make the tint on the body darker...also...i think the pickguard would look better if you lost that little lip near the bottom...just continued that bottom curve into the control plate.

Attached Files:

6. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

The orthopedic looking pickguard needs to go, and that quilt looks fruity. Krylon that sucker green and drop a normal lookin guard on it!

7. boris bubbanov

Yeah, the amoeba is my "Kilroy Was Here". I'm not content to replicate Leo's masterwork too closely. I just don't have the stripes to pull that off.

A clear pickguard solves the issue of what to do about the existing pickguard holes and yes, the neck pickup rout on an elegant looking top. One of these days I will commission a batch of USACG "T" bodies and not a single one will have a neck pup rout. And they may all be lefty bridge pickup routs and rear control routs as well.

8. boris bubbanov

I've been intending to continue the pickguard down past the area where it ends on the stock guitar. To cover the area next to the bridge that sees its finish worn away on many old 50s Fenders. That's where the picking is heaviest anyway, sometimes.

I set up some perverse boundaries when I concocted these strange pickguards. I would retain the two existing critical mount hole placements and the control plate and bridge plate locations, so anyone who wanted to could easily retrofit the guitar to a Fender pickguard if they so chose. Including myself at the beginning, since I wasn't cast in stone. Over time I came to like it and now I'm a little attached to them, although each one is a little different.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

"Quilt-top tele" is an oxymoron. ;-)

10. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

I think it looks so much better than the typical natural or butterscotch and black guard thing. Those are sooooooooo average and generic looking. Everybody has one in their herd because they simply think that they are supposed too. I like the look of your axe much better. It has a groovy personality of it's own. Strapping on anything else after wearing that axe would just be like strapping a flying V on Willie Nelson. Some guitars are just meant to be the way they are and are associated with certain players. If you threw a Fender Precision on Gene Simmons, the world would come to a hault. Be proud that it looks so good. I wouldn't hide that finish with anything.

11. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

A standard shape pick-guard , sanded or dulled down to contrast with the beautiful body. Black or brass control knobs . Stay with the Maple neck. That outta do it..

12. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

Play it!!

13. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

To answer your original question, Boris: Yes, IMHO a telecaster can be too pretty. I'd be afraid to play that thing.

Also, at some point they stop looking like telecasters to me. They start looking like art objects... to me a tele needs to have some evidence of sweat, smoke, beer... in other words, it needs to look played, or at least it needs to look like it will be played. That one is so pretty, it looks like it will be a wall hanger. I can admire its beauty but I'm not going to be reaching for it when I want to play music.

Kind of like the Ginger/Mary Ann debate... Ginger is great to look at, but who do you want to come home to every night? Most guys seem to pick Mary Ann.

Anyway, that's my honest opinion.

14. boosh

boosh Tele-Holic

The quilt top is a little fussy for my taste, I like solid colors (don't even like sunburst) so as the Stones said "paint it black" - I know that's pretty stupid advice as it's obviously too nice a guitar set about it with a tin of back spray paint. However contrary to other posters, I do like the pickguard

A question to you Boris, how many guitars do you actually own? I've read on other posts about the amount of highway ones and Baja's and always wondered how many you actually have...

15. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

I think it looks great, the quilt top is beautiful. I wouldn't change anything other than perhaps the pickguard shape. I like it apart from the small straight section adjacent to the control plate. For me, it clashes with the curves. I'd prefer the cut down pickguard shape on the Merle Haggard model.

16. Guitarmadcat

Guitarmadcat Banned

I agree with Tpaul. However, it is what it is - an overstuffed turkey albeit a beautiful one! Don't touch a thing on it - it looks great as-is and if it really is offending the eyesight, you could sell it easily to a country-playing cowboy.

Sometimes, as in my case, one finds an amazing looking piece of timber out of which one has to make their favourite guitar shape!

Attached Files:

17. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

I vote to esquire and blackguard it

18. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Paint it two tone sunburst.Lose that pickguard and just put a classic 50 style single ply white or parchment one instead.The sunburst with white pickguard will bring back the Telecaster rawness with a little class from the flame top wood which would more hidden in the sunburst.

19. camatillo

camatillo Tele-Meister

Send it to me and I shall reward you with these other pretty woods and see if you can make them look as bad! 1, 2 - Desert Ironwood fretboard blanks, (olnyea tesota), hard as steel!
    2 pcs, 10 year dry 5/4 American Pear wood, for two piece top (verylight quilting) 1- 8/4 Cocobolo neck blank,(block of wood),
    1 piece of 3/4 Kingwood blank, enough for at least 2 fret boards., The only thing I,m not sure you would want is the main body wood ~ Maybe 5A quilt 2pc. back Just saying if you can't stand that abomination you created I can help you out of it. :) Other wood combinations available, including possibly a clear 5/4 piece of camatillo rosewood. Also have a set of three ivory billiard balls in a presentation set. Some people might want to use them for nuts, saddles, etc. circa 1920. Truth is I have way more material than time. So that Guitfiddle you're having regrets about could help ease my pain! ~~ Jim

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

got to a white pickguard (standard) and swap out the front pickup for a silver cover and it will look fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.