Can A Looper Pedal Do This?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Steve 78, Mar 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

My current band (still in the embryonic stage) will use a drum machine so we know the exact BPM for each song ahead of time.

What I want to do is something like this, for a live performance:

- Play and record a verse rhythm part.
    - Loop it and play the verse lead part over it.
    - Turn it off during the chorus.
    - Start the loop again during the next verse and again play the lead line over it 'live'.

So I understand I need a looper with quantize to do this. Does the quantize stretch the recorded loop or just make the loop length end at the closest beat/bar? I don't really want anything stretched.
    Is it possible to preset the loop BPM and length so it will end the recording automatically?
    I think starting the loop off with a manual switch will be accurate enough, but is there the option of switching using an external clock signal? (MIDI controlled perhaps?)
    Can I record multiple separate loops which can then be triggered separately or together? How many? If I recall correctly, some loopers allow you to overdub the loops as many times as you like with the option of switching the last overdub on/off. Is there anything more powerful than this?

Thanks for your help!

2. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

You can get looper pedals that will do the 4 items you bullet pointed. You (and anyone playing with you) will have to have impeccable timing even if you have quantized loopers. You don't need a quantized looper, but it may make it a little easier.

I feel like I have good time, but when I started using a very simple looper (TC ditto) I had to tighten up. There was also a little learning curve with the looper, but they are all like that I expect.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

What you need is midi clock sync to drum machine. I believe Pigtronixs Infinity Looper has all features you need.

New Ditto X4 also has 2 loops and midi now.

4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys. I'm definitely expecting a learning curve as far as timing goes. It looks like the midi clock sync is the way to go. Infinity and Ditto X4 both look good - I'll have to try them out. Cheers!

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Here is a new product that allows you to sync a Digitech Jamman with jamsync with midi clock, very cool.

http://www.customliveelectronics.co...s/24-syncman-jamman-synchronisation-midi-korg

6. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

boomerang 3 will also sync to midi. you would have to play the verse live/create the loop live as the rang doesn't do stored recordings.. but isn't that what a computer is for anyway?

7. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Exactly, I am going to run some pre-recorded drums and keys via computer but I want to keep the guitars as live as possible, hence the live looping. Cheers.

8. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Just with my own experience, playing a looper in a live band is a disaster, not unless you have an extremely good timing and in tight lock with the BPM.... but since you will be using some Midi, it might work for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.