Can a guitar tech please explain?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I don’t, but it’s a known fact that his most common tuning was half step down from standard tuning.

Perhaps I’m mistaken and he was referring to tuning the D string up a half step, starting in a D based tuning.

I don't know why it would have to be in another tuning first, so I would think it was tuned up to D# from glargoowomp-flat (the default tuning of new strings).

It does seem strange for a guitarist to call it D#, as does his understanding of intonation and compensation.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Now I know as fact that signature models are just an excuse to jack the price on a guitar. It seems the tech is where the magic and anything unique happens. Maybe that's why some endlessly chase tone to no avail.

I think you're misinterpreting the situation. Later in that video, he talks about Eddie's absolute insistence that the product match exactly what he was using. If they modified something in the studio or on the tour, the change would get incorporated at the factory.

Really, the only magic in this setup was figuring out how far to detune each string for Eddie's strong grip. There's another video out there where he demos doing a setup on a Frankenstein copy and sets it up pretty much the way Eddie like it. Except for the tuning, it was a pretty standard setup.

screefer

Tele-Afflicted
I read that when he was young, while all the other kids were out lifing, he would grab a six-pack and practice in his room. A lot. Wouldn't it follow that his classically trained ear would know exactly how he wanted his guitar tuned? Why need a tech for tuning after all that practice/wood-shedding? A couple of tweaks in the blink of an eye and...magic, eh?

beninma

Friend of Leo's
Seems like maybe the tech was spewing some BS on top of everything else just to mess with the reporter/fans/other guitarists?

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I read that when he was young, while all the other kids were out lifing, he would grab a six-pack and practice in his room. A lot. Wouldn't it follow that his classically trained ear would know exactly how he wanted his guitar tuned? Why need a tech for tuning after all that practice/wood-shedding? A couple of tweaks in the blink of an eye and...magic, eh?

Eddie seemed to have the crazy mind that a lot of genius artists have, with booze and drugs mixed in on top of it, and didn't follow many rules or logic that you or I might find obvious. He famously just tuned to wherever the guitar was at, and Michael Anthony had to tune to him. When he started recording songs with keyboards to tune to, they were big enough artists that he had techs working for him.

On the road, there was little time for him to tune in concert. He needed his tech to hand him a guitar that was exactly how he wanted it, every time.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Seems like maybe the tech was spewing some BS on top of everything else just to mess with the reporter/fans/other guitarists?

Nah. I know exactly what he's talking about, but typing a decent explanation with my thumbs is more than I'm willing to commit to.
I will just say that intonation (the end resulting pitch) on any instrument, in any style of music, is always an aesthetic choice with no such thing as being absolutely in tune. And compensation (what a tech adjusts on a guitar) just aids a player in getting the intonation they want.
To put the tech's choices in perspective, 14 cents happens to be the amount that every "perfectly tuned" major third interval you've heard, in every chord in western music, is off by. And by "off", I mean from the perfectly consonant interval it approximates, because dividing an octave by 12 doesn't give us those intervals. Dissonance is important to music too, and it's just a question of how much you want, and where and when.

Hamstein

Tele-Holic
If I have six tins of beer my guitar becomes magically in tune too! Also, I become more witty, erudite, musically talented and attractive to the opposite sex, and not, as some unkind people have commented in the past, 'a tone deaf drunken yob'! :rolleyes:

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I’m betting that Eddie (like some of us mortals, had chord voicings that were avoided because they’re rarely in tune on a guitar) Maybe why many of us avoid major chords.
I leave the major 3rd out of my chords quite often. I expect it to show up elsewhere- either the singer has that note in the melody, the bass player may use it in passing form, or it’s implied in the key and the listener kinda filled it in (in their head).

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Who said anything about needing a tech to do anything? Having a personal technician is all about wants. Ed didn't need anything from a technician.

Why restring & tune & take care of your own 26 guitars when you can have someone that does it for you? Especially when you're EVH? He didn't need that tech to do anything.

jaxjaxon

Tele-Holic
I just get my neck as flat as possible and the action as low as possible and use low profile frets. Depending on neck scale will determine what gage strings I use 9 on 25.5, 10 on 24.75 and 11 on 24.5. I like to feel the fret board under my fingers and I know if I have tall frets and high action the tuning will be off. So here is the question do guitar manufactures set the frets so they compensate for the distance of the action they recommend.