1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can a Fender Mustang I really pull off a Princeton Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by incatele84, Oct 10, 2012.

1. dgr888

dgr888 Tele-Meister

A "100 watt princeton available to me" now that's funny..No you don't..what are u listening to? or smokin?

2. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Your obviously not up on the 'Mustang amps :rolleyes:

3. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

The Mustang I sounds good but can never come close to the visceral sound, feel and presence of the real thing.

4. dgr888

dgr888 Tele-Meister

Oh yes I am..they got you fooled...

5. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Interesting, I had a silverface Princeton, and I have a Mustang III. Takes a little work, but to my ears, I can dial in a very convincing Princeton on the MIII. Same with some of the other Fender models. There is a slight difference in "feel", if that makes sense - but not in a bad way at all. Does it sound exactly like a real Princeton? No, but the OP asked if the Mustang could "pull it off," and it definitely can.

Listen to Musicmatty's clips - if he said he was using a real Princeton, would we have any reason to doubt him? I'd say that's pulling it off.

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

If your willing to tinker it can do most flavors

7. dgr888

dgr888 Tele-Meister

"convincingly", Pull it off", "definitely can", Difference in feel", nice adjectives.. My original answer stands.."My ears"
    Really?? No.

8. richpjr

richpjr TDPRI Member

Heh - well, kind of. I KNOW I'd be happy with a Princeton but that is a lot of money for just noodling around on at home. A "smarter" choice would be an SCX2 or a Mustang IF they were pretty close to the Princeton cleans. But I'm not always smart! :)

9. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I have to agree. If Musicmatty said he was using a Princeton in the clips, I'd believe him, why not? And his clips sound just fine. But it's impossible to listen to clips on the internet and hear the sound you hear when the amp is in front of you.

I had a Mustang and it set a new record for the amp I returned the quickest. It just sounded and felt digital and toyish to me. I bought a plain SS amp to replace it.

However, lots of people enjoy this amp. OP should probably play one and see if it works for him. Whether the amp sounds like a Princeton or not really boils down to a matter of opinion.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  10. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Just curious... Which Mustang did you try and return?

11. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Mustang I. I bought it to replace the VOX Pathfinder I gave to a friend. The Mustang sounded fizzy, too much digital stuff for my ears. I bought a Peavey Encore to replace the Mustang. I wanted a tiny, quick grab and go amp to take to the lake, acoustic jams at friends' houses and such that I don't have to baby or worry about.

These days I gig a Twin Reverb or Peavey Classic 30, but the little solid state Peavey sounds pretty good to me. But that's just me.

12. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Thanks! I'm seriously considering a Mustang III, but I would not be happy with fizzy sounding cleans.

13. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder what would happen if you took one of the Mustang amps and fed it into a vintage speaker from a 60's Princeton as an example.

14. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

OK its 100 SS watts. Still plenty loud for a gig with a loud drummer!

15. incatele84

incatele84 Tele-Meister

IM going to get the mustang I only because I just need something I can noodle on with headphones and loop pedal for writing music. If you are considering the Princeton but dont want to spend the money get a super champ. They are very nice sounding ampas and are just as loud. Get a pair of JJ tubes and bias it a little warmer. The speaker is great but others have changed. I think you will dig it and save about $450.00.

On a side note I have to laugh at the cork sniffery in this thread. At the end of the day they are tools to create music. I doubt anybody would know the clps above are tube vs solid state if not stated otherwise. The tone and playing is good so it really doesn't matter in the end. I love tube amps myself and gig with a twin but I dont believe anyone has me fooled into believing the mustangs sound good. To my ear they sound great and for $50 its worth it.

16. stevehyphen

stevehyphen Tele-Meister

I don't think you'll regret it, man. Especially if you're just running the audio out to headphones or something else. It then becomes a $100 multi-effects solution with a USB interface, and you will get a lot of content for your dollar. If you don't already have a loop or jamming solution and you don't mind interfacing it all the time, then a G-DEC would be pretty sweet too for a headphones/writing kind of session.
    I switched from an AC15 to a Mustang I and don't regret it. If I ever upgrade amps again, I'm thinking it'll be a Mustang III.

About that whole Princeton vs. digital model of a Princeton.. sure the real thing is going to sound better than a digital representation of it. 100% agree. I'll still take the digital offering, even knowing that it doesn't sound as good.
    I wouldn't carry a Princeton to work or on public transit and lay it down in snow as I have done with my Mustang. Nor can I roll a knob and completely change the sound from a Fender clean to a metal lead. I could buy another amp for the price of re-tubing. I can use headphones. I can use my guitar amp as a very low end portable sound system.
    I should stop, I'm just being a cork sniffer of modernization now.

17. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Do I love my tube amps? YES!

I just saw Jim Campilongo make his princeton and toploader tele do some amazing stuff I will only dream of doing. His right hand technique alone is a study in physics as it applies to guitar playing.

Does my Mustang III sound like his Princeton?
    NFW. Never will.

Does my Mustang III make for a wonderful clean, chimey Princeton sound after you tweak the knobs to your liking from the factory preset??

Damn straight yes, and thank you very much.

I don't need to sniff a cork to come up with that answer for me either.

18. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Man oh man I can't believe this thread is just growing growing over a little 15 watt Princeton amp versus the Mustang amp.

Just like everything else, what works for some, doesn't work for everyone.

I have 2 wonderful tube amps, if they were not wonderful, I would not have bought them. But admittingly, the Mustang 4, is now King of the court... at least in my kingdom.

ForumRunner_20121012_154456.jpg

19. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

And if they get broken or stolen, you can just go out and buy another one because they're so affordable. :)

Not so much for the classic tube monsters! :cry:

20. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I think you can get a Mustang 3 for close to the same cost as it is to re- tube some amps!
    Yep, I see the logic.

Music Matty, you have me stoked to go out and buy one now!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.